New tires for 2009 G37S

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 AM
carlostevez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New tires for 2009 G37S

The OE Potenza 050 tires will worn out soon. I prefer All Season performance tires like Yokohama Envigor, General G-MAX, or Michelin Pilot Sport plus. I heard from others that Yokohama tires tend to be noisy rides. So I wonder does any users of Yokohama tires on their Gs have noise problem, or give me some advice.

Also, I have seen others talk about putting on Michelin Pilot Super sport(performance summer) for the front, and Michelin pilot sport plus (performance ALL SEASON) for the rear. How does this sound, and would it affect overall performance or handling of this car?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:23 AM
BACsader

Hey there,

I have the Yokohama Avid Envigors. Overall they are a pretty good tire, and they have a 3 year, 45,000 mile warrantee, which is much better than the 15,000 miles I got out of the OEM tires. However, I do have a few gripes with them. They are a bit noisy on turning and braking, but for wet road driving they are great. My biggest concern with them is that they don't wrap the rim enough so the rim is more exposed than I would like it to be. Other than this, they are a pretty decent tire.

My mom got the Yokohama S drives, those wrap the wheel better than the AvidEnvigors. I haven't driven her G37 with those on yet, so I can't tell you how they handle.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 AM
boomboom696969

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have '10 G37s sedan and looking to replace my tires as well. I'd like to replace my tires with all season's as well, so any advice anyone can offer would be great. Thanks guys!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM
LSG37S

I'm still on the oe tires, but personally I want to try the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tires. My 2nd choice would be the Michelin Pilot Sport.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 AM
boomboom696969

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with General G-Max AS-03 tires? Read some reviews that they were pretty good, but saw a couple responses that mention the tires wear quickly. Don't want to waste $$$, so thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 AM
Brandisher

I ran some Michelin Pilots A/S on my IS300 and I really enjoyed them. They were very good at keeping you planted in light snow and kept wheelspin to a min. During the summer, they had great grip, I don't believe road noise was noticeable at all. Like I said, I ran it on a 215 bhp car. Don't know how it would fair on 330bhp. I'm running Pilot SuperSport on my G now, so I can't really chime in with those.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:47 AM
EliasFaust

I'd like to replace my tires with all season's as well
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
DashKid
Banned

I've used stock tires, nittos, and hankook.

I have hankook right now and for the money it is an ok tire. The road noise on there tires are quite bad on the highway but what can you say they are $800 tires.

Going to probably try the Michelin Pilots next but they are so expensive =(.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 AM
carlostevez

Originally Posted by boomboom696969
Does anyone have any experience with General G-Max AS-03 tires? Read some reviews that they were pretty good, but saw a couple responses that mention the tires wear quickly. Don't want to waste $$$, so thought I'd ask. Thanks.
I read the reviews for General G-max are pretty good. Actually the treadwear is quite good, so I think it shouldnt wear that quickly. I guess it is not a good brand name, thats why not many people use them. I guess if I dont go with the Yokohama Envigor or Michelin pilot sport plus, then I may put on the General G max for the ALL SEASON tires purpose.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 AM
carlostevez

Originally Posted by Brandisher
I ran some Michelin Pilots A/S on my IS300 and I really enjoyed them. They were very good at keeping you planted in light snow and kept wheelspin to a min. During the summer, they had great grip, I don't believe road noise was noticeable at all. Like I said, I ran it on a 215 bhp car. Don't know how it would fair on 330bhp. I'm running Pilot SuperSport on my G now, so I can't really chime in with those.
I really like to put on the Pilot A/S plus (top-end all season) on the Gs, but the problem is the manufacturer only make tires that fit the rear wheels, but nothing for the front. So what if I try putting on pilot sport in the front, and pilot A/S plus in the rear?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 AM
carlostevez

Originally Posted by DashKid
I've used stock tires, nittos, and hankook.

I have hankook right now and for the money it is an ok tire. The road noise on there tires are quite bad on the highway but what can you say they are $800 tires.

Going to probably try the Michelin Pilots next but they are so expensive =(.
Hankook seems like a decent choice. Personally, I may not like noisy tires, and but I dont have much choices for All season tires on the G37s.

I would suggest try Bridgestone Re760 next if you think pilots sport are expensive.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 AM
toyzforme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the michelin pilot super sports and love them. They handle so well and if I wasn't so hard on them I might make the 15K on them but I doubt it as I am pretty hard on tires. I will see what they look like after my track day next month. Going to move up to wider size though next time
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Ruiz08

I just bought the Michelin Pilot Super Sports a few weeks ago and they are great. Grip, wet traction, minimal noise at speed, are all excellent. It's definitely a step-up from the stock Bridgestone RE050A's.

I have a dedicated set of Blizzaks for the winter, so there is no need for an all-season setup. I had a set of Yokohamas (summer) on my old TL and they were grippy, but noisy. It was still a good overall tire though. I would think the Yokohama AVID ENVigors should be a decent option if you are going with the all-season route.

Good luck on your choice.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by carlostevez
The OE Potenza 050 tires will worn out soon. I prefer All Season performance tires like Yokohama Envigor, General G-MAX, or Michelin Pilot Sport plus. I heard from others that Yokohama tires tend to be noisy rides. So I wonder does any users of Yokohama tires on their Gs have noise problem, or give me some advice.

Also, I have seen others talk about putting on Michelin Pilot Super sport(performance summer) for the front, and Michelin pilot sport plus (performance ALL SEASON) for the rear. How does this sound, and would it affect overall performance or handling of this car?
Really would not mix those two together. Recipe for bad things to happen if you do. If you want to go a/s then the General G-Max and Yoko Envigor are your only two options. The General will have a bit better dry response and handling, but the Yoko is a tad longer lasting, better wet, and rides better. Haven't heard any issues with them being noisy.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carlostevez
Where? Thats a horrible idea.

It would definately have an impact on performance. If you are in the need of a quick fix for a beater, then yeah, mixing and matching tires of the same size CAN work if you just need to drive around the block.

Tires have different grip, tread patterns, and wear ratings and you are with tires in different classes.

I wouldnt do it.

Quick Reply: New tires for 2009 G37S