Pilot Super Sports on G37XS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by scotty_g
Goonz how come many summer tires have ****ty wet traction?
Im not sure as to exactly why but in my experiences with high end summer tires such as the Continental sports and Pilot super sports on my friends M3, Bridgestone RE050s on my coupe and then even with a tad lower model RE0760's also on my coupe, all of them were very bad in the rain, the worst being the RE050s. I had zero confidence in all those tires in the rain because all bets were off once you hydroplaned on the highway, you had either keep your eyes WIDE open for puddles or just drive extremely slow. Granted all these cars were rwd, it may be very different for awd so who knows. But then again im comparing the wet traction between that and my previous blizzaks set so it may not be a fair opinion. With those blizzaks I would be looking for puddles to drive over
Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Eagle F1's are amazing in the rain (as long as you have the tread). And their grip was fantastic on dry pavement... although admittedly my only comparison was on a different car against OEM Bridgestone Potenzas. And like I said earlier, they wear out fast, and are pricey.

Very aggressive looking tread pattern, though. For whatever that's worth.

Goonz, yes to the Blizzaks. All my cars run Blizzaks in the winter.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
Im not sure as to exactly why but in my experiences with high end summer tires such...
It's the tread pattern to a good degree. Directionals, especially, perform exceptionally well in water.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I apologize for my vagueness lol. I meant what was your tire size 255/35/20 285/30/20?
255/35/20 F, 275/30/20 R

Originally Posted by MistAminER112
Question for Betty, how were the Sumitomo's?
I wouldn't have chosen them, but I bought a set of wheels and those tires were on them. They were OK. Not horrible in any aspect, not great in any aspect. Maybe a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. Didn't love or hate them.

One thing of not that's not relevant to performance at all but that I'll mention just as an FYI - they have a very square shoulder profile and look a little wider than many other tires of the same size when mounted.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM
dimsler
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The Super Sports are the best tire money can buy for a street car.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 AM
gbest03

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just placed the order for the Super Sports, should have them on this Saturday, now I just have to pray that winter in New England is truly over!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by gbest03
I just placed the order for the Super Sports, should have them on this Saturday, now I just have to pray that winter in New England is truly over!
Great choice. But as you said, they are definitely NOT for ice/snow/cold. I think you'll be happy with them.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
20 years ago to the day, we were in the middle of the Storm of the Century, as they called it. But this year, I think you're OK to get off the snows now.

Let us know what you think of the Pilot Super Sports. In fact, prep for that assessment. Go out ramping the highways at the same locations and speed conditions for a few days. Also find a nice smooth piece of pavement and focus on the roll, braking and acceleration.

Then do it all over again with the new tires.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 AM
gbest03

OK, Pilot Super Sports are installed, the grip is excellent, the car tracks straight without the constant need for correction like the oem Dunlop's.
The tires react to input immediately.
I liked the improvement so much, I went ahead and installed my Hotchkis sways, icing on the cake!

Now I can throw the car into a curve and power through it with no slide or squeel, I have them set on the softest settings, but might adjust the front to the inner setting.
Overall this is a great improvement to the car, not as punishing as my 08 Coupe with the sport suspension, but it gives the control and handling I was missing.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, Pilot Super Sports are installed, the grip is excellent, the car tracks straight without the constant need for correction like the oem Dunlop's.
I liked the improvement so much, I went ahead and installed my Hotchkis sways, icing on the cake!

Now I can throw the car into a curve and power through it with no slide or squeel, I have them set on the softest settings, but might adjust the front to the inner setting.
Overall this is a great improvement to the car, not as punishing as my 08 Coupe with the sport suspension, but it gives the control and handling I was missing.
Thanks for the write-up. Did you end up going wider or stick with the stock 225/50? Did you also put springs on the car or still stock springs? Also wondering if you installed the sways yourself or had a shop do it? I heard the rear is kinda tricky.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 AM
gbest03

Stayed with the stock 225/50/18, oem shocks/springs.
I installed the sways myself. very simple install, the rear of the exhaust has to be dropped from their hangers, but no issues.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Told ya. They're like a complete suspension mod in themselves, aren't they?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:38 PM
diverdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The PSS are what I'm planning to go with when I get around to getting summer tires, along with wider wheels (another thread).

I've become a Michelin convert: I recently went to the PS2 ZPs on my Z06 and the performance was noticeably better that the factory Goodyear Supercars (first generation). They also create markedly less road noise.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:32 AM
TRZ06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the Potenza RE-11's are still better than the Michelin SS tires, in everything except treadwear rating
Old 03-21-2012, 01:35 AM
MistAminER112
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome man, thanks for the feedback! Giving me a really good perspective of where to go next with my tire considerations

Originally Posted by Black Betty
255/35/20 F, 275/30/20 R

I wouldn't have chosen them, but I bought a set of wheels and those tires were on them. They were OK. Not horrible in any aspect, not great in any aspect. Maybe a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. Didn't love or hate them.

One thing of not that's not relevant to performance at all but that I'll mention just as an FYI - they have a very square shoulder profile and look a little wider than many other tires of the same size when mounted.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sports on G37XS?