tire rotation - dealership or local gas station?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:29 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jsolo
If you're not getting any vibrations, is there really a need to balance...?
That's what I thought too. But I mean vibrations are for when they're really unbalanced. Americas tires never says how much they change but I dunoo I had a set of yokos advan v4s that I drove on for like 40k that still looked brand new and those were rotated and balanced every 5k.. lol. Tho because it was free.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
neither. DIY. rotating tires is just about the simplest routine maintenance you can do. plus you know your wheels will not be damaged since you're handling them. the price of a torque wrench will quickly pay for itself.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're not getting any vibrations, is there really a need to balance...?
If the tires are wearing across the threads evenly and you have no vibrations, there is no need to balance them. I have gone through a lot of tires without balancing them. Some tires that are wearing uneven I rotate and balance.
Some tires that are wearing at a faster rate in the rear or front, I rotate, but don't balance.
I also run my hand along the threads to check for cupping which is a good indicator of an unbalanced tire.

I'm very **** on scheduled maintenance, as are a large percentage of members of these forums, but the vast majority of owner's pay no attention to tire wear, proper air pressure,etc. It would be best for those people to bring their vehicles in periodically to a shop and have them preform all the necessary upkeep.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your tires will always wear uneven since there is camber and camber change when turning. That said, rotating them won't do anything for that since you can swap sides anyway (tires are directional).

Just go to any shop and watch them do it...they won't screw things up with you standing there.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 493 Posts
This whole rotation business is all the more reason to run a square set up unless you really need the benefits of staggered. 245's all around will give you ability to rotate front/rear. Only issue I have with doing this on stock wheels is the fact that fronts are 7.5" and rear is 8.5" (on the S sedans). While manufacturer specs say you can put a 245 tire on a 7.5" wheel, it's contact patch will be different than if it were on a 8.5" wheel.

I'm good for now, but sometime between now and when the OE tires wear out, I'm keeping my eyes open for another set of rear OE S wheels
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 PM
blackhawksfan81

Originally Posted by movinon
I also have a rear wheel drive.
I use a tire thread depth gauge that reads in thirty seconds of an inch. If I recall correctly my stock tires new have 10/32" thread thickness. Now with 18,000 miles, the fronts measure 8/32" and the rears about midway between 7/32 and 8/32". The thread wear bars are set to be flush with the thread at 5/32".
I had them rotated at 6,000 miles for free, at the dealer, along with an oil change. It's been 12,000 miles since they were rotated, so I was all set to do it myself. When I checked the thread all the tires were wearing even and there was only about 1/64" difference b/t the front and back.
I figured it wasn't worth the effort to screw with them. I'll just keep on checking.
Agreed. There's no point in rotating unless they're wearing unevenly. Same for balancing - no point in having them rebalanced unless you notice vibrations.

Definitely not worth paying for either unless you notice issues.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:43 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^Disagree. The whole point of rotation is so that you DO NOT have uneven wear. If uneven wear is present, it's too late.

Uneven wear can occur in various locations on the tire; near left edge, right edge, in the middle, feathering, cupping, etc. Unless you measure tread depth in all areas of the tire, a small sampling doesn't give a real measure of 'wear'. In addition, you'd need to do this when the tires are new too, to have some sort of baseline.

My point is, tire wear is such a progressive function. With regard to balancing, after reconsidering, I suppose it does make sense to check that too. I'm not sure what it is for cars, but on a bike, if the weight is off by one of those little 1/2" squares, i'll never feel it.

If you get your tires locally from a place such as discount tire, they give you life time (for life of tire) free balance. Getting a rotation done at the same time makes sense as the wheels are already off.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
This whole rotation business is all the more reason to run a square set up unless you really need the benefits of staggered. 245's all around will give you ability to rotate front/rear. Only issue I have with doing this on stock wheels is the fact that fronts are 7.5" and rear is 8.5" (on the S sedans). While manufacturer specs say you can put a 245 tire on a 7.5" wheel, it's contact patch will be different than if it were on a 8.5" wheel.

I'm good for now, but sometime between now and when the OE tires wear out, I'm keeping my eyes open for another set of rear OE S wheels

I tell you what I would go square on both cars if I could find two rear IPL or Z sport rims for a bargan price!

Rotating tires is a very good thing to do at least every 8,000 miles. You should always have them balanced at the same time. I hate the fact that I can't rotate the tires on either of my cars. Like was said if you see a problem then it's too late and you missed the boat. You should be doing rotations and balancing BEFORE there is an issue. Your tires will live a long happy life and your MPGs will thank you.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Randjet

The tpms system is quite dumb on this car. In fact, I remember renting a maxima back in 09 that would show individual wheel pressures. Not so here, yet this car is supposed to be luxury. There's nothing to mess up other than not installing the wheels properly.
Do you really need to know each pressure of tires ? If it's in limit,you're good to go.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^Lol. Some of us are OCB about these things. But really, why does the maxima have this and the G not. I really don't care about having tpms. Driven for decades without it. Check my tires every few weeks anyways, or anytime there's a major weather change.