Offset? CV2s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G37S-OONER
I have done a ton or reading around on here, and still have not come to a full conclusion as to what the following do.

Offset (explain)
Spacers (what are these, and what is their purpose)
shaving the bracket (what bracket, and how to shave)
camber (what is the camber, and why should I worry about this)
eibach pro (will this make my ride horrible, and will I need to buy a camber kit)
Offset is the measurement of the hub part of the rim in relation to the width of the rim, measured in millimeters. 0 offset is right in the center and positive is towards the outside of the rim. The more negative the offset, the more the wheels will stick out of the fender. Spacers is exactly like it sounds. It's a spacer that bolts on your hub adds millimeters to your current rims effectively decreasing the offset. For example if you have +45 offset but want to decrease it to +30 then you install 15mm spacers. the bracket is under the rear fender right by the edge of the bumper. You can feel it with your hand if you stick your hand and feel around the area where the bumper meets the fenderwell. Just shave off the corner of the bracket with a dremmel tool.

Camber is the angle of the wheel vertically in relation from the front of the car and it's measured in degrees, 0 degrees being perfectly straight. Too much negative camber will wear out the inside of your tires and too much positive camber will wear out the outside of the tires. Most modern suspension systems (like our car's double wishbone) will decrease the camber as the suspension compresses, this aids in handling. It is because of this characteristic why camber is affected when you drop the car. The lower you drop the car the Negative camber increases. Some extra negative camber is great for handling, but too much of it will wear the inside of your tires way too fast. Camber plates lets you adjust the camber so you can increase it to compensate for the drop. With a mild drop like Eibach, camber plates are usually not necessary. But if you go with H&R's or slam it with coilovers, then camber plates are pretty much a must.

I have yet to drive a G dropped on Eibachs but I have used them in other cars in the past. In my experience, it firms up the ride a bit but not that much different from stock. Eibachs is what I'm going with when I drop my car soon. I hope this helps.