Quality Tire Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Quality Tire Pressure Gauge

I've been around a lot of drag cars, tubbed, sub 8 seconds, and know first hand the importance of accurate tire pressure with racing slicks. I've also seen gauges costing several hundreds of dollars. For daily driving this is complete overkill and unnecessary. However, accurate tire pressure is still important and most pencil type and basic/cheap gauges that you buy at the auto part store, or at the end of a compressor, can be very inaccurate without your knowledge. I'm also OCD and hate guesstimating typical 2psi increments which are hard to read. Digital are unreliable unless you spend big money to get anything over .5psi display that is actually accurate. With all that said I've been looking for a quality gauge with single psi increments that is affordable enough for the "daily driver".

I was eyeing up the Moroso 89560. Accurate, well made, and a well known racing company. It has .5 psi increments, but they are fairly confusing to the eye. For $38.95 on Amazon, it was still a bit pricey for a normal use tire gauge and did not include the protective rubber housing. < It cost an additional $7 totaling $46.
Amazon.com: Moroso 89560 Tire Pressure Gauge, Dial Type, 0-60 psi: Automotive

There was also the liquid filled Longacre. High end gauge company who sell some of the crazy expensive gauges. This is a great gauge, liquid filled, glow in the dark face, pressure hold, etc. But again, a little much for average use. $47
Amazon.com: Longacre Liquid Filled Deluxe Tire Gauge 0-60 psi: Automotive

Longacre also had a little bit more basic gauge starting to get to the price point I wanted, $25. It was not liquid filled, no pressure hold, but all in all a perfect accurate average owner gauge.
Amazon.com: Longacre Tire Gauge Glow in Dark 0-60 psi: Automotive

I then found a gauge from Joe's Racing - a company who makes high quality specialty racing tools. This gauge was similar to the Longacre above, but each line increment was individually labeled, "31, 32, 33, etc." I though it would be easy on the eye. It also included an angle and ball chuck - useful for difficult rims or motorcycles. Glow in the dark face as well. Best priced at $23.99 with the option for PRIME shipping (free 2 day if you are a member - I am).
Amazon.com: Joes Racing 32307 Tire Pressure Gauge Glow In The Dark 0-60psi: Automotive

So, I just ordered the Joe's Racing Gauge. The right price and will be here Friday. Thought I would post this for those who may not realize their gauge is probably deceiving them, or they are OCD like me and are interested in fair priced quality products.

I'll post back when it arrives.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Ibanez540r

Originally Posted by Coprolite
Subscribed.
Thanks. I'll let you know when it gets here tomorrow.

...I guess no one is as hard core about tire pressure gauges, LOL. Not gonna be a popular thread
Old 12-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Ibanez540r

Here's the zoomed view of the face of the Joe's Racing Gauge with the individual increments
Old 12-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
We have a nice selection of gauges at the following link. Call me if interested!

Tire Rack : Air & Tread Depth Gauges
Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 PM
xtremeroller

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Never really put that much thought into tire gauges. Lol