g37x in the snow (Kuhmo ecsta 4x)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:25 PM
FootLong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g37x in the snow (Kuhmo ecsta 4x)

I live in MN, and we had our first snow fall. There was between 2-3 inches of snow accumulation. I must say that the car does very well in the snow. It was a complete blast to drive. One thing, it did take a little getting used to when turning. You can get the *** end out if you are not careful. The stability control does kick in, but the car already has the back out.

For those that are looking at the Kuhmo ecsta 4X tires, I would recommend them. I purchased a set of 4 size 225/55/17 from a local Capital tire. I got them out the door including tax for $549. I also got a $50 mail in rebate as long as the tires are purchased before December. The tires performed very nice in the snow, better than I expected considering they are an Ultra high performance all season tire. I will give another update as the winter continues and the snow falls like crazy.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:10 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks for the info!

I am currently looking for UHP all season and have nailed down my choice to General gmax as-03 and Ecsta 4x. Both have great reviews so far and you can't beat the price. However I didn't see too many comments on snow performance since both tires are very new to the market. I am in socal but I do go up to the mountains alot during winter for snowboarding. So snow performance is somewhat important to me also.

Pls keep us updated on how they do on deeper snow. Thanks!

Last edited by antirice; 11-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey FootLong, did you also consider the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (in 245/50-17 size) or the Yohohama AVID ENVigor? Just wondering what steered you to the Kumho.

I too have narrowed it down to the General G-MAX AS-03 and Kumho Ecsta 4X but only because TireRack reviews seemed to favor them performance-wise in reviews. Price is better, too, but the mileage rating on the tires mentioned above is better.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I would think if you're running a real winter tire, not all season, you'd get much better snow traction. The winter tire is, after all, designed and optimized for cold/snow conditions, while the all season has to perform in a wide range of conditions.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 PM
FootLong

I basically went with the oem tire size so the continental dws didn't work because they do not make a 225/55/17. I did look the yokos, but they were quoted $200 more then the kuhmo tires (counting the rebate. When I buy tires I always do a ton of research. I called tirerack 3 times and 3 different reps recommended the kuhmos in this price segment. I don't know if there is an incentive to push the tire? Any ways, I was set in the gernerals, but was talked into the kuhmos. Every tirerack rep and local tires shops said they were better overAll, and that the way the tread pattern was that they would be way more promising in the snow. From what I can see they were correct. But then again, it was only 2-3 inches. Mother nature, bring on that snow!
Old 11-20-2011, 03:37 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Just put in my order for a set of Ecsta 4x. Total with shipping came out to be $654 - $50 rebate, so about $600. This is for the stock 18 size.

I have also looked at DWS. For all seasons, that tire is the champ when it comes to snow traction. I didn't go for them since they are always back ordered on tirerack, and they have very soft sidewall according to the reviews.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:02 PM
FootLong

Antirice, I think you will be very pleased with them....especially in the dry and wet surfaces. These tires do need about 250 miles of wear/break-in period to become the most effective. It makes a huge difference to wear the mold cure off
Old 11-20-2011, 04:42 PM
TinsleyC

Yeah, in Dallas we don't get that much snow, but we do get an inch or two every couple years. More in the last few years... and I do travel north sometime, never want to be in show without all-seasons.

I think I'll go with the Kumho but in the 245/50-17 size. It's very close to the stock diameter (like .3 MPH off at 60 MPH) but 8/10ths of an inch wider. Only a few dollars more in cost, too.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So there really isn't an issue with putting on 245\50\17 on the stock rims of the sedan besides the tiny difference in MPH? Is there anyone here who is actually running on that size because I would get use those just for the improvement in handling alone and the bonus of looking better on the car.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:57 PM
TinsleyC

I've had Discount Tire in Dallas tell me it's fine to run 245/50-17's on the 17" G37, and TireRack has as well.

Check out this site - you can compare how tires will spec out on the same rim.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Last edited by TinsleyC; 11-20-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added website
Old 11-20-2011, 09:27 PM
TinsleyC

Wheel specs (2009 G37 Sedan Journey, 17" wheels):

17 x 7.5, offset 45 (found on page 9-9 of the owners manual)
Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Good to know. Thanx.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FootLong
I live in MN, and we had our first snow fall. There was between 2-3 inches of snow accumulation. I must say that the car does very well in the snow. It was a complete blast to drive. One thing, it did take a little getting used to when turning. You can get the *** end out if you are not careful. The stability control does kick in, but the car already has the back out.
I have read this a couple of times here, "car does well in the snow" followed with "be careful or the back end will come around on you". I can't see how the car can be that great in the snow when if you take a corner slightly to fast you might go into a spin. I have a 37x running aggressive snows (blizzak ws-70s) and even with the AWD, traction control etc. our FWD Toyota Sienna with WS-60s blows the Infiniti away for winter driving confidence.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:11 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^What size ws70's on the 37x?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 AM
FootLong

Originally Posted by superjer2000
I have read this a couple of times here, "car does well in the snow" followed with "be careful or the back end will come around on you". I can't see how the car can be that great in the snow when if you take a corner slightly to fast you might go into a spin. I have a 37x running aggressive snows (blizzak ws-70s) and even with the AWD, traction control etc. our FWD Toyota Sienna with WS-60s blows the Infiniti away for winter driving confidence.
Infiniti offers the best of both worlds. The "x" is rwd. It gives the driver complete control and handling of a rwd. When it needs it the car can kick in the front wheels to helP with traction. I don't know about you, but after driving fwd, rwd, awd, in great conditions, I will tAke the rwd any day. The imput and feel is the best for the driver. When you are aware of the back end kick out it should be no problem. Just have to learn and know the vehicle. It's like that for any new vehicle in the first snow. I will take the Infiniti with the same tires against your sienna any day in the winter, especially after driving/learning the car for a bit. With the same tires on, we should race in a snow storm and see who gets from light to light quicker, and stopping as well. I'm not tracking the car in the winter, but it sure as he'll is better when properly driven in the snow with descent tires on

Quick Reply: g37x in the snow (Kuhmo ecsta 4x)