g37x in the snow (Kuhmo ecsta 4x)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:43 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FootLong
Infiniti offers the best of both worlds. The "x" is rwd. It gives the driver complete control and handling of a rwd. When it needs it the car can kick in the front wheels to helP with traction. I don't know about you, but after driving fwd, rwd, awd, in great conditions, I will tAke the rwd any day. The imput and feel is the best for the driver. When you are aware of the back end kick out it should be no problem. Just have to learn and know the vehicle. It's like that for any new vehicle in the first snow. I will take the Infiniti with the same tires against your sienna any day in the winter, especially after driving/learning the car for a bit. With the same tires on, we should race in a snow storm and see who gets from light to light quicker, and stopping as well. I'm not tracking the car in the winter, but it sure as he'll is better when properly driven in the snow with descent tires on
I know the car quite well and am aware of the benefits of RWD - which is why I drive the Infiniti but my point still is that people comment on how the Infiniti is pretty good in the snow BUT it sure likes to have the rear-end come around if you are not careful. To me, that is not great performance in the snow. Sure it could out accelerate a non AWD vehicle in a straight line if the tires were the same but for going around icy corners, the G is not a great car. Again, when I compare my G against my Sienna, they have the same tires (Blizzak WS series) so I don't need to "race" anyone as I have a pretty good comparison in my garage. I'm also pretty familiar with the G as I have changed it to coilovers, changed the sway bar, added a strut tower brace and switched the Dunlops to Pilot Supersports so I understand a bit about its performance character. But again with good tires a Sienna (or Camry or BMW xDrive) is simply a more confidence inspiring vehicle in the winter.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 PM
superjer2000

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^What size ws70's on the 37x?
225/55R17

Frankly, I don't like them on the G. WAY to soft tread so when the roads aren't snowy or icy it handles horrible.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I wonder if a 215 or a 205 width tire would give better traction in the snow when cornering.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by superjer2000
I have read this a couple of times here, "car does well in the snow" followed with "be careful or the back end will come around on you". I can't see how the car can be that great in the snow when if you take a corner slightly to fast you might go into a spin. I have a 37x running aggressive snows (blizzak ws-70s) and even with the AWD, traction control etc. our FWD Toyota Sienna with WS-60s blows the Infiniti away for winter driving confidence.
I just got rid of a FWD Odessey and currently have a 2010 G37X and a 2011 Sienna Limited AWD. Have driven them all in the snow in Nebraska. I would certainly take issue with this post. If understeer in the snow makes you feel confident then maybe to Sienna is better. Personally, I feel better driving the X than the AWD Sienna. The G will accelerate better and get you into trouble more easily in snow.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by superjer2000
I know the car quite well and am aware of the benefits of RWD - which is why I drive the Infiniti but my point still is that people comment on how the Infiniti is pretty good in the snow BUT it sure likes to have the rear-end come around if you are not careful. To me, that is not great performance in the snow. Sure it could out accelerate a non AWD vehicle in a straight line if the tires were the same but for going around icy corners, the G is not a great car. Again, when I compare my G against my Sienna, they have the same tires (Blizzak WS series) so I don't need to "race" anyone as I have a pretty good comparison in my garage. I'm also pretty familiar with the G as I have changed it to coilovers, changed the sway bar, added a strut tower brace and switched the Dunlops to Pilot Supersports so I understand a bit about its performance character. But again with good tires a Sienna (or Camry or BMW xDrive) is simply a more confidence inspiring vehicle in the winter.
You have alter the handling characteristic of the G by changing sway bar and installed coil over. If you installed rear after market sway bar it is more likely has a bigger diameter and the rear will step out more easily, much faster in the dry but dangerous in the slippery stuff (unless you are a experienced drifter or rally driver)
I would even disconnect the rear sway bar in winter, but that is just me.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 AM
superjer2000

Originally Posted by CodeG
You have alter the handling characteristic of the G by changing sway bar and installed coil over. If you installed rear after market sway bar it is more likely has a bigger diameter and the rear will step out more easily, much faster in the dry but dangerous in the slippery stuff (unless you are a experienced drifter or rally driver)
I would even disconnect the rear sway bar in winter, but that is just me.
I agree with what you are saying but the mods haven't made much of a difference in the slippery stuff. I have a 2010 G37x with the noted mods but my previous car was a 2009 G37x with no mods. On the 2009 I ran Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3s and that car also had a predisposition towards sliding out in the rear a bit with the stock super thin sway bar. Don't get me wrong, I still really like the G37x and I think the AWD system beats the RWD system when the going gets rough, I'm just saying that there have been many posts about the car's performance in the winter and many people say the car has a tendancy to swing the rear end around which isn't great for winter driving.

To the other comment about understeer vs. oversteer: I don't think many people would favor oversteer relative to understeer in the winter. One is inconvenient while the other one is just dangerous.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I wonder if a 215 or a 205 width tire would give better traction in the snow when cornering.
Theoretically yes because the contact patch on the tire is narrower so the weight of the car is more concentrated on the tire and hence better traction. That's why you see Honda Civics with thin tires darting up snow covered hills while a car with much wider tires would struggle but a 215 or 205 may not be noticeable enough to make a difference.

I know we all want to be safe with our cars in the winter but I think we have all lost the ability to drive in bad weather because of all the modern gizmos in cars. My 1st car I ever owned was a 1978 Monte Carlo (think Denzel's car in Training Day without the hydraulics) when I was 17. It was RWD, no traction control or any of that namby pamby stuff. I put in new springs that raised the rear end (back then it was in style, trust me) and mag wheels and I never put on snow tires and back then they didn't salt the roads half as much as they do now. All I did was throw a few cement bags in the trunk to weigh down the back end and I was good to go for the winter. You just had to drive carefully and I never felt unsafe driving a snow storm but with all the safety features they have now it gives drivers a false sense of security and they drive in January like they do in July or feel they have the right too. Compared to the Monte Carlo, driving my G in the snow with all seasons is a piece of cake. It's pretty easy to do when you discover the key is not driving like a retard.

I've actually never put snow tires on any car I've had in the last 25 years. I live in Toronto and I've never been in a bad weather accident. It's really more on the driver. If you drive carefully with all seasons you'll be fine. If you drive like an idiot with snow tires on you will get in alot more trouble. Again for alot of people snow tires give them a false sense of security. I've see lots of people get rear ended by a car with snow tires because they tailgate and take turns way too fast and the best snow tires aren't gonna help you then because you were born a moron.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 11-22-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Glicious03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get some Blizzaks then you have an excuse to get new rims and Conti DWs in the Spring both justifiable for safety.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:07 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Mounted my new Ecsta 4x couple days ago. Today I got a chance to drive in the mountain(no snow). I must say the review on tirerack is spot on. Steering feels tight and very responsive in the twisties. Very much like the stock Potenza. I did not get a chance to push them hard since I am still breaking them in, and there's a lot of traffic ahead of me. Ride comfort also feels about the same as the Potenza, but it's too early to tell.

Looking forward to do more spirited driving after break in. So far I am a happy customer.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 PM
FootLong

Originally Posted by antirice
Mounted my new Ecsta 4x couple days ago. Today I got a chance to drive in the mountain(no snow). I must say the review on tirerack is spot on. Steering feels tight and very responsive in the twisties. Very much like the stock Potenza. I did not get a chance to push them hard since I am still breaking them in, and there's a lot of traffic ahead of me. Ride comfort also feels about the same as the Potenza, but it's too early to tell.

Looking forward to do more spirited driving after break in. So far I am a happy customer.
They are very nIce....especially for the money. It literally took about 200 miles for the tires to break in. When they do you will see a huge difference
Old 12-23-2011, 06:23 PM
JCaton30
Registered Member

I too live in the Twin Cities. I just got my 2009 G37x coupe. It came up from Houston. It desperatly needs good all-season tires and I was looking at the Kuhmo's too. Just have to find the best price now.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM
FootLong

Jcanton, what part of the cities do you live?
Old 12-24-2011, 10:42 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think if you're running a real winter tire, not all season, you'd get much better snow traction. The winter tire is, after all, designed and optimized for cold/snow conditions, while the all season has to perform in a wide range of conditions.
I agree. I used to fish tail too much on my old xS with the stock all season tires. My current RWD with Blizzak's does not fish tail in the snow.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got the 225/50/18's Kumho Ecsta 4x -- on dry they drive very well -- no flat spotting noted and I got 'em for $550 shipped with $50 visa card as well on the way.

Will report back after snow falls...
Old 12-24-2011, 06:23 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
To people with the Ecsta 4x, how do you feel about the ride comfort?

For me they are definitely a bit on the harsh side. I've been driving sports car most of my life, so I am somewhat used to the harshness. But still I was expecting more ride comfort from an A/S tire.

Quick Reply: g37x in the snow (Kuhmo ecsta 4x)