Tire Advice: Only Changed One Tire of the Four !

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tire Advice: Only Changed One Tire of the Four !

Got a flat, just at the sidewall / tread area with 23.6k miles on the tires. According to the Tire Shop: Can't be Fixed, so I cursed, and replaced the OEM, Goodyear RSA with a new one. I do have some treadlife left - probably could squeeze out 30k miles. I replaced the one tire, Do I need to replace at least one other, or "milk" out another 6 k miles and then replace the other 3 tires?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 PM
ohjames24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's really a matter of personal preference. There is no huge danger except in wet weather. A tire's ability to perform in wet weather drops significantly by the time you reach 4/32 in. tread depth. I always take it as a practice to change tires when they hit 4/32 inch depth (just personal).

In the event of an emergency stop in the rain, one side of your car may have more grip than the other =\
Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
You may experience a pull too, especially if the tires with diff diameters are on the front. Speed sensors will also get different readings. The older tire (smaller diameter) will spin faster than the new tire.

Not sure what effect this will have on the rear, maybe similar, as one side is spinning faster than the other and the diff will lock up?

Personally, I replace tires at a minimum in pairs, front axle, rear axle, if the tires have any appreciable wear on them.

The eagle rsa is a crap tire to begin with. IMO a waste of money to replace it with like crap.

Do you run winter tires? If not, then this is more reason to replace at least 2 or all 4.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Itchytoe

I wouldn't try and take the cheap route on tires. They are the only thing that connects you to the road. Just replace the other one too and call it a day. Always replace tires in pairs. Replace both fronts, or both rears, or ideally, all 4.

Replacing just one is asking for trouble.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to agree with Itchytoe, I wouldn't be comfortable buying a single tire and putting it opposite a tire with less tread on it. Our Gs are capable of some pretty good performance so why take any chances? Right.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I changed my RSA-s at 5k miles and that was 4,990 miles too long (since it's about 10 miles to the tire shop from the dealer).
They're such a poor match for these cars, they really belong on 4 cylinder Camrys. Almatti I know you've had a lot of transmission issues, but I also think you'd be much happier w/ your G if it had tires that can actually hold a turn and grip the road.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
You should have, at the very least, replace the other tire on the opposite side. I'm just going to guess that at 23k miles you've worn off half the tread (~5/32).
When you have an X you can mess up the AWD (differential) if the tire rolling distance is to far out of whack.
Any decent tire shop would have recommended at least two tires...Infiniti would have likely recommended all four.

I had the same experience when I had my X. Punctured too close to the sidewall for repairing so had to buy new tires. I still have one good Eagle RS-A with 5/32 tread, sitting out in my shed from when I replace the rear pair of tires.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:09 PM
blackhawksfan81

Former GoodYear employee here. Agree with all the above. Replace in axle pairs at minimum.

Also: my dad is the cheapest person I've ever met, and I learned early on from him that you never ever skimp on tires or brakes.

Finally: I really recommend the road hazard warranty. For a few extra bucks you're covered against these sorts of inconveniences. I've bought it with every set of tires I've purchased, and used it every time.

PS: GoodYear tires, especially the OEMs, really suck.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
blnewt: What Kind of Tires did You Opt For?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
blnewt: What Kind of Tires did You Opt For?
Almatti, I didn't like the stock tires or the wheels so I got 20s w/ 245/35/20 Dunlop Sport Signature All Seasons, the lower sidewall profile and the better grip really change the whole driving dynamic of the G. My 07 G35 had the staggered 18s w/ the potenza summer tires and these Dunlops really carve the road almost as good. I really think you'll enjoy your G SOOO much more w/ "real" performance tires, might even make you enjoy driving your G again
BTW, any new word on your transmission issues w/ corporate?