Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor for new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:27 PM
pharmsoup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor for new wheels

I'm trying to get new wheels for my 2011 Sedan. I went to Tire Rack and went under the "Important TMPS Info" link and read this:

Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for proper operation.

The Original Equipment sensors from your Original Equipment wheels may be compatible with the new wheels you selected. Please consult the "Important Notes" link found online for more information or call Tire Rack for assistance.

A TPMS repair/rebuild kit is required when sensors are reused.

As an option you may purchase the sensors listed below. They are compatible with both your vehicle's TPMS and the wheel you have selected.

Then I went to the "Important Notes" link and read this:

The QUICKSET is not compatible with the 2010 model. New tire sensors must be initialized at the vehicle's dealership. This charge is not included in the cost of the sensors. If TPMS sensors are not installed in the wheels, the TPMS light will flash for 1 to 2 minutes and then stay permanently illuminated. An audible chime may also be heard at start-up.

Does this mean the tire pressure monitoring system is compatible with the 2011 Sedan and I don't have to pay $500 for a sensor to be installed?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 PM
cy7878

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what you are asking exactly. But in trying to be helpful, I will try.

If you are just getting wheels and using your old tires, the tire shop can just take off the original TPMS and install them on the new wheels when they change the tires over.

If you are getting larger wheels and tires, your option is either to pay to have the old sensors removed from your current wheels and install them on the new wheels, essentially doubling your install cost (take off old tires to get to the sensors and re-install the old tires back PLUS installing the sensors onto new wheels and then fit the new tires). Other option is getting 4 new sensors at $117 a piece (that's how much I paid when I ordered them from Mission Viejo Infiniti. Raul hooked me up).

The convenience of buying the wheels, tires AND the sensors all from Tirerack is that it will arrive ready to install. You do still have to go to a local tire shop to get the sensors initialized at a cost of $20 to set up all 4 sensors.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 PM
jorwick

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
Most tire places will switch the tpms from your old tires to your new. No worries
Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Wasn't there a thread on here about having the system relearn new tpms sensors without a trip/fee to the dealer?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-for-free.html
Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Dabo

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Wasn't there a thread on here about having the system relearn new tpms sensors without a trip/fee to the dealer?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-for-free.html
Very interesting thread.
Exactly how annoying is the tire pressure warning light/buzzer?
And where is it? (I've only owned this car for a week, so I haven't seen it yet).
Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
You're one step ahead of me then. My car isn't expected for at least another month.

However, afaik, it's just a light, not a chime.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 PM
cy7878

The DIY addresses pre 2010 models. Not sure if it will work on post 2010 cars. Big O Tires reset my sensors for $20. My dealer wanted $60. Definitely do not go to the dealer for tire related things.

On 2011 cars, no chime, just a light on dash. Not super annoying, but enough for me to buy a new set of sensors.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 AM
G37Vert

I just put winter tire and wheels on today, drove around all day, and not once did a light come on. I wonder how long it takes for the car to know there are no sensors installed?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Vert
I just put winter tire and wheels on today, drove around all day, and not once did a light come on. I wonder how long it takes for the car to know there are no sensors installed?
It knows right away. If you drive around with your summer tires in the car, it wouldn't know.

Does anyone know the range on the TPMS? Would the light deactivate once you drive into your garage where the other set is stored?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:03 AM
G37Vert

Originally Posted by Coprolite
It knows right away. If you drive around with your summer tires in the car, it wouldn't know.

Does anyone know the range on the TPMS? Would the light deactivate once you drive into your garage where the other set is stored?
I was 20 miles from home and my summer tires. Light never came on once.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
I put 20s on and it took an extended drive for it to come on. It didn't come on for a few days of just a few miles here & there. I hit the road and went about 30 miles & it came on. Once it comes on it'll come on every time you get in the car, it flashes for awhile then stays lit continually. The only real downside w/ no TPMS (the light being on is no longer a distraction) is the lower profile stiff sidewall tires are very hard to determine if they're low on air just by looking at them. 35 sidewalls look the same at 20 pounds or 30 pounds, so you really need to check the pressure prior to any serious trip. When its time to replace my tires I'll just have my old sensors put in, the time saved in pressure checks is worth it in itself
The following users liked this post:
Rich11G37xS (04-05-2017)