Tirerack, question about your tire tests results

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tirerack, question about your tire tests results

Since you guys used the same 1/3 mile test track for your tests, and usually the same vehicle, a BMW. Can you compared the test track results only for one tire VS another tire that you recently tested as long as the same vehicle was used?

Also I used winter tires in the winter, LM-60's. And I have no plans to change to an all season tire for the winter months. But I've been thinking of maybe changing over to an all season tire for the summer months. I was recently caught off guard with my summer tires, REO-50A's, during this very early winter storm we had on 10/29. Even though I had no issues that day, had I been far from home it wouldn't of been a fun ride. My thoughts are the following, if my summer months tires were an all season tire, on the day we had that unexpected early snow storm I would of had better grip in the snow compared to my summer tires.

As far as over-all handling, do any of the better all-season tires come close or match some of the better performance summer tires in the warmer months? I'm asking because I'm going to need to replace my stock REO-50A's in the spring, and was thinking of buying all season tires and just using them in the warmer months.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Honestly do not understand the first question about our track and test cars.

You really won't find an all season tire that handles similar to a summer only tire. The all seasons will trade off dry handling/response to give you cold weather ability. If you want the best handling of the all season crowd it would be from an ultra high performance all season tire. In the stock 18's I would look at B-Stones RE970 AS and General G-Max AS-03 as the two best handling options.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM
gugarci

Sorry I was wondering if you could compare the track test result from 2 different tests performed at 2 different periods.

For example see links below.
Testing Bridgestone's Potenza RE970AS Pole Position Ultra High Performance All-Season Tire
Test done June 11, 2011
Testing Value-Priced Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires
August 5, 2011

Both of these tests were done with the same car, a 2011 BMW 328i coupe, and I'm sure it was done on your same 1/3 mile test track. Could you take the track results for, slalom time, lap time, stopping distances and average cornering g-forces and compare the results of a tire tested on June 11 to a tire in the August 5 tests?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Ah gotcha. It’s difficult to accurately compare one test from another, since there are several variables that we cannot control. One variable is the weather, such as temperatures and humidity. Temperature and humidity not only affect the performance of the rubber, but also the car and track.

The other big variable is condition of the track. We have found that the grip of the track at the beginning of the season is the best and becomes more slippery as the testing season progresses. Because of these variables we caution any comparisons outside of a single test.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:14 PM
gugarci

I didn't think so, but I'd figured I ask anyway. I completely forgot about the weather and the humidity affecting the performance of the car and tires. But the track conditions never crossed my mind. Anyway from what you told me originally I'm going to stick with summer tires for the warmer months. The snow storm last week was a fluke, it's 56 degree right now.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^Bro its november now, the snow storm wasnt a fluke this warm weather is
Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM
gugarci

Originally Posted by fairladyz34
^Bro its november now, the snow storm wasnt a fluke this warm weather is
Really, when was the last time we had a snow storm in late October? I'm 46 and I can't remember ever getting a snow storm of this size in late October.

http://www.nj.com/weather-guy/index....e_in_a_hu.html
"While October snows aren’t unheard of in the Garden State, they are unusual. The last time before Saturday that Newark recorded any snow in October was 1952, according to the National Weather Service, and even then it was a fraction of an inch."

Last edited by gugarci; 11-01-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added content and link
Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's usually colder this time of year and winter tires are for cold weather not just for snow