Bought used G37x coupe.. TPMS is MISSING

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:31 PM
zombipuppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bought used G37x coupe.. TPMS is MISSING

Hey all, first time poster here.

Just bought my first car, a 2009 G37x coupe from a BMW dealership. Car looks and runs great, but I've had concerns about the TPMS light that is always on. I took it to an Infiniti dealership to check it out, and I was told that all four tire pressure sensors are missing. They said the previous owner mostly likely had them removed for some reason.

My question is: how likely is this to be true? Why would someone remove the sensors? Had the vehicle details stated that these parts were missing (worth $560 at least) I would have asked for a lower price.

Now I have to contend with either living with these missing parts, or getting them replaced either out-of-pocket or through the dealer that sold it to me. Not sure what Virginia law stipulates regarding this particular situation, but hopefully I can get some input on here.

tl;dr: TPMS is missing, not sure if worth the cost of replacement, and not sure who should pay for it: me or the dealership who sold the used car to me.

Thanks all!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
baileyrx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
was the light on when you bought the car? if not, the BMW dealer erased that code, probably knowing something wasn't right. if it was there you're SOL. but can buy them alot cheaper here on the forum than at the dealer. just check out the classifieds.

my 2cents
Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 PM
zombipuppy

Originally Posted by baileyrx
was the light on when you bought the car? if not, the BMW dealer erased that code, probably knowing something wasn't right. if it was there you're SOL. but can buy them alot cheaper here on the forum than at the dealer. just check out the classifieds.

my 2cents
Appreciate the input.

Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention when test driving the car. Perhaps I noted the light, and thought that the tire pressure was off and would fix it later. The dealer even offered to adjust the pressure and give the car a wash before they handed the keys to me, which I agreed to. My fault for not paying enough attention, I know, but still an irking problem.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM
zombipuppy

Looks like the original dealership will take care of it.. Hopefully they'll keep their word!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Tire-pressure monitoring system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alledgely you can go back to the dealership and say they were missing... it's mandatory in every car.. if they sold the car w/o them in it they might be liable to buy them for you
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Especially when a car has been sitting on a lot a while and with the cooler/colder temps more than 1 car on the lot might have the light on. I know when I was looking last Winter I did come across more than one car (BMW, Infiniti, Merc) with the TPMS light on. Presumed that it was just a low tire pressure due to temps; salesguy said the same.

This is the extreme version of the light being on however.