DPE Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DPE Wheels

This is a long read so please bear with it..

How long does it take for a custom set of wheels to be done from the day we placed our order? I was promised 10 weeks. But have long been overdue. Just wanted to check on the forum and get some opinions and advice on what should be done/i should have done.

So the story goes that i placed my wheels back at the end of March, early April. Vendor told me it will be a 10 weeks production time before it'll be shipped. This is after he has agreed on the custom color and particular set of wheels that i wanted. He promised me pictures and updates that no other vendor/bigger companies will give since he is a smaller company and tend to have a better service. (this did not happen by the way)

So the first few weeks i thought i'll just give a weekly email and check on the status. Which i wasn't really sure of even after a month. so fast forward a few more weeks,( i wasn't updated with anything and the last time i was told about my wheel's status is still at queue)suddenly its already being processed and going into finishing soon.

then for a week or two, there wasn't anymore progress. this on going status thing went on till now, which makes it 6 months from my order... 2 weeks ago i lost my patience and started a giving alot of emails to both the vendor and DPE. That's when they started giving a little attention and told me its done but left with powdercoating. By the way i have been asking for pictures of my wheels, but they only gave me a picture of the 'face' and it wasn't even mine because i wanted rivets and the 'face' does not have rivets.

So later they told me they are waiting for my custom color and there isn't anything they can do. So i waited again.. a week past and they told me it has been done (after i emailed asking about it) BUT... seems like there are orange peels on the paint.... So because they wanted it to be 'perfect' the need to get it back into the powdercoater... So again.. i am left hanging... I asked for a picture of the orange peel and the wheels. My vendor told me Mike is sick.. The finish that i was told i can get also is not the case now.. because when my vendor emailed me the pic of the sample color strip for my lips, they seem like the same finish, then Mike told me its actually the base color, and not the finish..

So its been a total of 6 months since i have ordered my wheels and now i am still left with nothing but false promises and not a single picture of my wheels. What do you suggest i do? Will it be unreasonable for me to cancel my order? I have paid full amount since April because i don't like to be in debt(wrong move?)
Sorry for the long read and my rant, i just wanted my wheels. What would you guys have done?

Last edited by tWistedMissiOn; 09-14-2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: paragraphing for easier read
Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That sucks. Sorry to hear. Usually when they say 10 weeks it is more like 16 but you are even past that. GL.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 AM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i didnt get my wheels from them for 14 weeks after being quoted 4-6
Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd go ape **** on them till something gets done
Old 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
I know you're a nice guy man, but now is probably the time to get firm with them. I know custom orders take a while, but when it is nearly triple the time, something is wrong.
DPE wheels look amazing, and I really think you should get what you want. Have you called them and talked to them over the phone? It may help.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Please name the vendor so others can avoid them.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:43 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
That sucks. Sorry to hear. Usually when they say 10 weeks it is more like 16 but you are even past that. GL.
I know! haha.. and thanks.. gonna need the luck for this.

Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
i didnt get my wheels from them for 14 weeks after being quoted 4-6
And you got it straight from Mike@DPE right? I am in contact with him too.. but seems like all he did is tell me that he knows my frustrations blah blah blah.. but never deliver till now! and when i read your thread, you ordered way after me and got it before i did!

Originally Posted by Doggy
I'd go ape **** on them till something gets done
haha... i tried, but i don't want to go that crazy just yet, i mean, if i can settle this in a smoother and peaceful manner, i would just do that, and just not get DPE ever again. But we'll see.. i hope i don't got to go ape **** haha

Originally Posted by breftayka
I know you're a nice guy man, but now is probably the time to get firm with them. I know custom orders take a while, but when it is nearly triple the time, something is wrong.
DPE wheels look amazing, and I really think you should get what you want. Have you called them and talked to them over the phone? It may help.
I have not called them, but yea, i think i'll just stay up tonight and call DPE.. hopefully i get some good news..

Originally Posted by Presto
Please name the vendor so others can avoid them.
Well.. the vendor was pretty cool at first, then he just started to forget about my order...... anyway, i got it from Michael@AcutePerformance.. I can only speak from my experience though, so do not judge him yet, maybe its just my order that went bad, maybe others work out with him, so i can't say much. All i know is that he wasn't that helpful after a while which is why i had to go to the extend to get in touch with DPE themselves.. He is supposed to be very close with the owners and also primary vendor or something.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I will try to keep you guys updated with how my order went through.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
to be honest, that is just totally unacceptable... especially sitting on your money for triple the amount of time that was quoted to you...
Old 09-14-2011, 12:00 PM
fairladyz34

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah thats kinda a ridiculous, If i were to do this to my customers in my business i surely wouldnt last long. It seems like wheel companies just take a long time to make wheels because they know we the enthusiast put up with it.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

I dealt with Sean.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Not good, I have heard from other people about dpe and their estimated times vs the actual times. wont be going with dpe ne time soon
Old 09-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This sucks man, sorry you're going thru this with them.

DPE has been known to deliver their wheels weeks/months past their original delivery dates. When I had my wheels made (by a different manufacturer), they promised me 8 weeks, and delivered in 6. If only DPE would do the same (by promising a longer ETA and delivering in shorter), it would prevent unhappy customers.

Sucks that your vendor isnt helping much either, as they should be the ones following up with the order and not the customer.

Shoot an email to the both parties saying you are thinking about cancelling your order if you don't see/hear anything soon (if you haven't already). Them sitting on your money for the last 6 months is ridiculous. They should have only asked for a deposit to get the order going, then asked for the remaining balance once the wheels were completed.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Gunit37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's total of 25 weeks. I would get back the money and buy something else..
Old 09-14-2011, 01:35 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

I know next year when I got to switch wheels I wont be going with them, ill prob go wit HRE
Old 09-14-2011, 03:43 PM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Cancel your order and buy mine lol, no line no wait!

In all honesty mine took quite a bit longer than expected as well, although I ordered them the week of thanksgiving, and had a bunch of holidays in betwee, think my total wait time was only 9-10 weeks though.

Quick Reply: DPE Wheels