High performance all season tires, G37 coupe (pref. American)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:49 PM
SMGoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High performance all season tires, G37 coupe (pref. American)?

There's a lot on this forum about high performance tires for summer/winter but I'm hoping to replace my stock Dunlop Sport Maxx with a good, all-season (ultra) high performance set of tires. I live in Missouri where we get a fair amount of snow and the Dunlops weren't all that great in it. I'd like a little traction without too much of a performance sacrifice and definitely can't afford to have 2 sets of wheels nor do I think it's necessary for where I live.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I'm looking at Goodyear Eagle F1s and Coooper Zeon RS3-A but I haven't heard much about them. I'd be open to non-American-made, as well, if the quality is that much better. I should also mention, I have the Journey package.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:25 PM
novaleadfoot

Originally Posted by SMGoose
There's a lot on this forum about high performance tires for summer/winter but I'm hoping to replace my stock Dunlop Sport Maxx with a good, all-season (ultra) high performance set of tires. I live in Missouri where we get a fair amount of snow and the Dunlops weren't all that great in it. I'd like a little traction without too much of a performance sacrifice and definitely can't afford to have 2 sets of wheels nor do I think it's necessary for where I live.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? I'm looking at Goodyear Eagle F1s and Coooper Zeon RS3-A but I haven't heard much about them. I'd be open to non-American-made, as well, if the quality is that much better. I should also mention, I have the Journey package.
not sure if you have the staggered set-up or not...but in 225-50-18 size, I would go with General G-MAX AS-03, Yokohama AVID ENVigor, or even the Michelin Primacy MXM4...I just got a set of the Michelins and their handling is awesome...W-rated grand touring all-season

the G-MAX and Yoko are both made in the staggered size too
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 PM
SMGoose

Thanks! No, my setup is the same all 'round. I'm also willing to depart from the size slightly as long as it fits on the rim and doesn't rub.

I was worried about the performance with the Primacy's being that they're technically a class below but that's good to hear. Any idea how the tread wear is on them or the others you mentioned?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Not american, but my all season tire of choice is the Bridgestone RE-760.

Stuff has amazing grip for something all season.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:46 AM
novaleadfoot

Thanks! No, my setup is the same all 'round. I'm also willing to depart from the size slightly as long as it fits on the rim and doesn't rub.

I was worried about the performance with the Primacy's being that they're technically a class below but that's good to hear. Any idea how the tread wear is on them or the others you mentioned?
Primacy MXM4 W rated has a 45k mile treadwear warranty...my previous Primacy set (v-rated winter set) has 20k miles on them and they look new...not sure on the others but they have good reputations
Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With coupe's 18x8, you can run 245-45/18 with Michelin Sport AS+ or Continental DWS. That's what I'd do.

I think the RE-760s are summer tires???
Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh... oops. They're categorized as summer tires... I could swear they were all season before

I stand corrected
Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
Not american, but my all season tire of choice is the Bridgestone RE-760.

Stuff has amazing grip for something all season.
That is a sport summer tire only, not all season.

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
With coupe's 18x8, you can run 245-45/18 with Michelin Sport AS+ or Continental DWS. That's what I'd do.

I think the RE-760s are summer tires???
^this. It will be hard to find an "American" tire as even U.S. based tire companies produce tires overseas. The Conti's strong point is it's all season traction. If you need more reliability in snow than dry performance I'd use them. The Michelin is a better tire for dry traction and steering response, but will cost more.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:34 PM
SMGoose

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack
That is a sport summer tire only, not all season.

^this. It will be hard to find an "American" tire as even U.S. based tire companies produce tires overseas. The Conti's strong point is it's all season traction. If you need more reliability in snow than dry performance I'd use them. The Michelin is a better tire for dry traction and steering response, but will cost more.
Yes, but at least the money is coming back to the U.S. It's a minor concern (obviously, I drive an Infiniti!) but I feel better trying!

It's ultimately coming down to the Continental and the Cooper. I've read a few raving reviews online about the Zeon RX3-A. Consumer Reports rated them #1 I believe. My local tire shop will order them, mount and balance for $187 each. Tread Depot has them for $131 each. It'd be nice to see Tire Rack's opinion of them, but you guys don't carry them. Am I right, Neal?

Again, thanks for all the responses!

Last edited by SMGoose; 08-19-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Correct, do not carry the brand. Sorry. The GY F1's can be super noisy and wear odd if not rotated every 3k miles. Even then they could have issues.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:55 PM
webby

Just traded my 2011 G37x sedan for 2011 G37x coupe....dumping the stock Dunlops with Primacy MXM4 V rated...wanted Pilots Plus sport but it does not come in 225/50R18 only in 235/50R18....dealer refuses to defiate from the manufacurer recommended size !!!
Taking delivery on Monday
Perhaps Neal can comment .
Thanks,
Webbt
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
novaleadfoot

Originally Posted by webby
Just traded my 2011 G37x sedan for 2011 G37x coupe....dumping the stock Dunlops with Primacy MXM4 V rated...wanted Pilots Plus sport but it does not come in 225/50R18 only in 235/50R18....dealer refuses to defiate from the manufacurer recommended size !!!
Taking delivery on Monday
Perhaps Neal can comment .
Thanks,
Webbt
Im not Neal...but try 245-45-18 maybe?

Tire size calculator
Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 PM
jds

I've had the Cooper Zeon RS3-A 255/50R18 on my 2009 G37x for over 2 months now. I usually deal with about 15-25 snow days each winter and the stock Dunlops were just a bit too much of a pucker for me. The Zeon's offer great in-line traction, but they fold when taken hard into corners.

I miss the cornering capabilities of the stock Dunlops, but at least I don't need to worry about wetting myself as I'm sliding on the black ice at the stop sign.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM
YewWanSum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
General G-Max or bust
Old 05-31-2012, 01:51 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Yes, but at least the money is coming back to the U.S. It's a minor concern (obviously, I drive an Infiniti!) but I feel better trying!
I'd like to understand the logic in this one if I may.

You spent 40k on a car that is NOT american when you could've gotten something American as good if not better, but remembered to get patriotic when it came to $1-2k tires?