tirerack and/or tire pros please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:31 PM
novaleadfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tirerack and/or tire pros please chime in

Looking at 3 diff tires...245-40-19...need to get them asap...I am spirited on occasion but no track time...don't need summer tires...have Michelins on my 17" stock rims and they work ok (for a 55 series tire)

General G-MAX AS-03 UHP A/S - $188
480 A-A

Michelin Primacy MXM4 Grand Touring A/S - $252
500 AA-A

Continental ExtremeContact DWS UHP A/S - $236
540 A-A

General and Michelin are W-rated, Conti is Y-rated

is the Michelin worth $48-64 diff each tire? will the AA make a significant difference? quiet smooth ride versus cornering?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I'd toss out the Michelin if you are an aggressive street driver as that's a touring based tire, not a sport tire. Conti does well in wet and ice/snow side of things if you plan on running them in a cold weather climate. General is a tad too new for us to know it's full life potential. It worked well in wet conditions but haven't had a chance to see dry or a/s performance.

So, as it sits now, the Conti looks like it would be the best bet.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
novaleadfoot

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack
I'd toss out the Michelin if you are an aggressive street driver as that's a touring based tire, not a sport tire. Conti does well in wet and ice/snow side of things if you plan on running them in a cold weather climate. General is a tad too new for us to know it's full life potential. It worked well in wet conditions but haven't had a chance to see dry or a/s performance.

So, as it sits now, the Conti looks like it would be the best bet.
Hey Neal, thanks for the input. I would not consider myself an aggressive street driver but maybe that's subjective. Occasional hard acceleration and 50mph through a 35 mph on ramp. I do drive relatively fast (15-20 mph over) on the interstate when the DC area traffic is not at a stand-still. That's really the extent of my aggressiveness.

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

Would an exotic sports car use a w-rated grand touring all-season? Interesting combo really.

I do like the Conti DWS though. I had them on my Audi. I am just looking at other options.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Neal@tirerack

The touring tire can be put on most any car really. Their higher sp rating will help them respond better than your average touring tire. However, its tread design and compound are not designed for taking off ramps or corners quickly. Point A to B faster than normal on extended highway trips it would be fine. Around town quickly into corners or hitting an off ramp the way you described and you'll have irregular wear fairly fast.

You may want to check out Goodyears Eagle GT as well. They lack somewhat in the heavy snow/ice, but work well in all other conditions.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM
novaleadfoot

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack
The touring tire can be put on most any car really. Their higher sp rating will help them respond better than your average touring tire. However, its tread design and compound are not designed for taking off ramps or corners quickly. Point A to B faster than normal on extended highway trips it would be fine. Around town quickly into corners or hitting an off ramp the way you described and you'll have irregular wear fairly fast.

You may want to check out Goodyears Eagle GT as well. They lack somewhat in the heavy snow/ice, but work well in all other conditions.
Thanks Neal...I'm gonna order the DWS in the next 2 days...appreciate the feedback
Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Neal@tirerack

No problem! Call me direct or mention my name online