Tire/wheel insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tire/wheel insurance

I searched and didn't find a similar thread.
If you have tire/wheel insurance, who is it through and how much does it cost?

Is it figured as some percent of replacement cost of the tires/wheels or is knowing that left up to you and it's just an "up to x dollars" type of policy? I assume 20" wheels cost more than 18" even if they happened to be the same cost since 20's mreo likely to sustain damage?

Does it cover everything (potholes, road debris, vandalism, curb rash, re-finishing or re-painting) or has to be unusable rather than just appearance ruined?

PS I checked with my insurance company and they only cover tire-wheel damage due to accident.

Last edited by clutch5; 07-01-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:48 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Every insurance company has the option to offer coverage for your wheels/tires in conjunction with your overall car policy. Most companies will require additional documentation (receipts, descriptions, etc) of the package to determine coverage. Expect to see an increase in your premium if the wheel/tire package is particularly expensive. Doesn't make any difference if it's 18" or 22". Both wheels and tires are covered under your comprehensive (potholes, vandalism, road debris, etc) or colliision proviisions. Read about your coverage provisions in your policy and don't expect wheels/tires to be covered because you feel the finish gets dulled or not up to your standards.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dkmura
Every insurance company has the option to offer coverage for your wheels/tires in conjunction with your overall car policy. Both wheels and tires are covered under your comprehensive (potholes, vandalism, road debris, etc) or colliision proviisions.
Nope. Like I said I spoke with my insurance company. Jeezzz...to even make the sweeping statement you made would imply you've read every variation of every insurance policy from every insurance company
Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
You need a new insurance company. I've never heard of an insurance company not covering damage to any part of a vehicle under the non-collision damage portion/clause of your contract. That's crazy, but what would be even crazier is to stay with such a company. There are a lot of good companies who would love to have your business.

Usually what gets most people with wheel damage is that they may have a 500 or higher deductible for non-collision damage, and wheel repair, or even a new wheel, doesn't cost enough to warrant filing a claim. Seriously clutch, I/m not being a smartass, you really need a new company.