Stick to the Volk GT30s...or Vossen CV3??

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryG
Point I am trying to make is that you guys are being dramatic and its not that massive of a difference like you guys imply. What's under the hood is more impotent than the RIM. The TIRES are more important performance wise.
Go educate yourself on intertia of a rotating mass.

If what's under the hood is so important, why do so many track cars leave the engine alone and buy rims? Yeah.

You just said the ZR1 lost SECONDS off of a ~7:30 lap by getting tires. I just told you rims are worth SECONDS off of a 2 minute track.

Pretty significant difference. We're talking a fraction of a % gain vs a few % gain.

Also, Pilot sport CUPs suck.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 PM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FantastikG37
Okay.. no one really questioned Vossen's quality. All we are stating is Volk's quality is without a doubt better than Vossen's from the simple fact that forged is better than cast. Ask anyone who knows anything about wheels. They will tell you forged is lighter and stronger than cast. This is why we are saying Volk quality is better than Vossens, which you seemingly can't accept since you keep saying Vossens are too new to judge.

That being said, the lighter and stronger wheel will obviously be safer. I don't know about you but if I had to put my life and safety on the line, I would definitely choose Volks over Vossens.

The only point you have right now is that Vossens LOOK better. I will let you believe what you want to believe, but Vossens and Volks are definitely not at the same level. If you appreciate wheels as much as everyone else here, you would have never insulted Volks by saying they look like $100 cheap ebay wheels.
You guys are such girls if you feel insulted hahahaha

How many times I gotta tell you? I don't care if the quality is "better" because the tires are more important and would effect your performance so much more.

Volks do look like cheap 100$ rims on eBay. You can't tell real Volks from "replicas" unless you know your wheels extremely well.

This is my opinion but Vossen's do look better on luxury cars. Imagine Volks on a Cadillac Escalade (yeah , I don't like Cadillac too much but it is a full blown luxury car, also one of the most sold luxury suv so that's why I use it as an example)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You guys are such girls if you feel insulted hahahaha

How many times I gotta tell you? I don't care if the quality is "better" because the tires are more important and would effect your performance so much more.

Volks do look like cheap 100$ rims on eBay. You can't tell real Volks from "replicas" unless you know your wheels extremely well.

This is my opinion but Vossen's do look better on luxury cars. Imagine Volks on a Cadillac Escalade (yeah , I don't like Cadillac too much but it is a full blown luxury car, also one of the most sold luxury suv so that's why I use it as an example)
TBH I'm super new to wheels, and its really easy to tell if something is fake haha.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM
LarryG

Originally Posted by Mike
It's spelled inertia by the way. I don't need to because I know for a fact tires are more important than the rim with performance.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

It's spelled inertia by the way. I don't need to because I know for a fact tires are more important than the rim with performance.

Mike knows much more than you about tires/wheels/tracking.

inbeforemikeexplainstiressuspensionandwheels
Old 06-30-2011, 03:23 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Where did you get the Specs?
Very few Volk models weigh 18lbs... Probably TE37 and CE28 in size 18" will come near that weight..

I know my GT7 wheels in 20" are quite heavier than that (probably 22-23lbs without tires) though I've never actually weighed them.

I've lift Vossen Cv1 with stretched tires and they are quite heavier than my Volk GT7 wheels with full size tires.

Heavier wheels result in more rotational mass (which is more than a matter of 3-4lbs per axel, could equal something like 40lbs per hub in rotational mass) ... This causes more stress on the brakes when trying to make high speed stops, increasing brake length and also effects gas milage.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Where did you get the Specs?

Honda Civic Rice-Rocket forum!!! FTW! I kid... I dont want to be a d!ck, and I actually agree with some of the things you are saying and it is annoying they way people are missing your simple and basic points and seemingly looking to just continue to find things to prolong this argument which is NOT going to change anyones opinion in the end... But $100 wheels? That was taking it a bit too far even if you do not like the design so you were asking for some of the expressed disagreements... To answer your question I attained my not exact knowledge but a much better estimate then your shot at actual weight of wheels by researching online, calling on a ton of different specs back when I was shopping for my wheels and knowledge of owners info. Honestly though making calls to these manufactueres will get the exact answers as I know I had them a year ago or so. (I dont even want to know how you came up with your weights)

p.s. Please don't call wheels "RIMS"
Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 PM
LarryG

If what's under the hood is so important, why do so many track cars leave the engine alone and buy rims? Yeah.

You just said the ZR1 lost SECONDS off of a ~7:30 lap by getting tires. I just told you rims are worth SECONDS off of a 2 minute track.

Pretty significant difference. We're talking a fraction of a % gain vs a few % gain.

Also, Pilot sport CUPs suck.
Lost seconds as in raping it's previous record of 7:26.4 to 7:19.63 )Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Zero Pressure) about six seconds. : P
Old 06-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Mike

Way to capitalize on my typo. That the best you have?

Please, come prove it at the track.

You beat me, I'll comp your entry.

I'll need a loaner G37. I'll drive a stock car with rims, and Larry can drive a stock car with Hoosiers.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Way to capitalize on my typo. That the best you have?

Please, come prove it at the track.

You beat me, I'll comp your entry.

I'll need a loaner G37. I'll drive a stock car with rims, and Larry can drive a stock car with Hoosiers.
You can use mine if you pay for my tune haha.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM
LarryG

Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
Mike knows much more than you about tires/wheels/tracking.

inbeforemikeexplainstiressuspensionandwheels
Damn get off his ****.

By the way, I know my tires pretty well : )

Let's put it this way so you guys can take things into perspectives.

Let's use the ZR1 for example..

ZR1 + CHROME RIMS with Michelin Pilot tires will vs faster than a ZR1 WITH RAY'S RIMS WITH HANKOOK TIRES WITH A LAP.

Get the picture?

Just proved to you guys the rims is not as important hah

Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Damn get off his ****.

Let's put it this way so you guys can take things into perspectives.

Let's use the ZR1 for example..

ZR1 + CHROME RIMS with Michelin Pilot tires will vs faster than a ZR1 WITH RAY'S RIMS WITH HANKOOK TIRES WITH A LAP.

Get the picture?

Just proved to you guys the rims is not as important hah

You just proved tires are important.....LOL nobody has been arguing about tires being important. They are the only thing in contact with the road no shiet they are important.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:32 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
I can care less what you guys say. I think Vossen has excellent quality and you can't jump around saying Ray's quality is 10000x better just because it's been out for a while. How can you even say Vossen quality isn't no where as good?? They are new. Can you tell the future?? hahaha
I said I wasn't going to post again in here, but...

Obviously you do care what we say or you wouldn't have 60+ posts in this thread.

No one has really ripped on Vossen on this thread, yet you continue to call Volk wheels "Civic" wheels... That is just ignorance and mis-education on your part.

And, using YOUR logic, if you can say that no one is allowed to question Vossen's quality because they are "new," how are you allowed to suggest that their quality is "excellent?"

You are, again, contradicting your own rationale.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Mike

You're telling me this Michelin Pilot (you can see it on the tire)

is faster than this Hankook?

Funny that someone who "knows tires" can't even specify a model.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I hate you all! Lock this ish up!!

Quick Reply: Stick to the Volk GT30s...or Vossen CV3??