All Season 17"

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:14 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
All Season 17"

Not to start the most boring thread ever.... but what's a recommended replacement for a 17" 225/55 for a stock sedan?

I considered going to a 245/50 (and may still) but don't like the idea of slightly less gas mileage. So I may stick to a 225.

In a 245/50, I would go with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. In a 225/55 I would probably go with a Yokohama AVID ENVigor.

My preferences are wet grip, dry grip, then quietness, but it has to have a high mileage rating.

Opinions?

Last edited by TinsleyC; 06-18-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: corrected grammar
Old 06-18-2011, 02:45 PM
spect2k

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Pirelli PZero Nero M&S

Both great tires that I've personally driven. You can probably get the Pirellis for less and they are just about even in my opinion. I'd prefer the Michelins though if I could get them for the same price.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 PM
novaleadfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in both sizes, also take a look at General G-MAX AS-03...it's getting good reviews
Old 06-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
There's no way to accurately determine the mpg difference between the two size. A 245/50 will work fine, it's a common upgrade over stock.

Not many to choose from, but some good stuff is available. DWS is the most popular with strongest a/s traction, but is a tad noisy and lacks a bit in dry. Michelin AS+ best dry and steering response, but works in moderate to light snow climates at most. The Yoko Envigor is happy medium between the two. Good life, handling, wet traction, etc. Been a crowd pleaser also.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM
TinsleyC

Thanks Neal,

Interesting you say the DWS is a tad noisy when it's at the top of the list for a noise rating of UHP 245/50-17's at 8.6.

So a 245/50 and a 225/55 will deliver about the same MPG, all else equal? I see the Yoko Envigor is available in both sizes, 225 and 245. The 245 is obviously heavier.

What kind of differences would I feel when driving, between those two? Would the 245 grip any better, and if so, in all types of driving? Just curious if you can elaborate on any of this.

I think a wider tire might look a little meaner but will also cost $23 more per tire and may not get the same mileage (gas or life) a 225 would get. Again, any feedback is welcome!

Last edited by TinsleyC; 06-27-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am running the 225/55 Yokos and like them. They look nice but are on the softer and more comfortable side. I heard they are not that great in light snow, so you make sure to take that into account. I'd go with the Mich AS+ if I had to do it over again though. I think they are worth the extra cost.

Also whatever you get, don't get the Goodyear Eagle GT. They look really nice but are very stiff and noisy. Speaking from my own experience. I went from the stock RSAs to the Eagle GTs, then to the Yokos.

I'd like to hear more comments on the noise difference between the DWS vs. Mich AS+. It's interesting that Neal said the DWS is noisier than the Mich. I talked to a Discount Tire sales rep and he said the same thing. I didn't believe him at that time though
Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Neal@tirerack

I personally felt, due to the choppy tread design, that the DWS was a little louder. I've also had more negative feedback regarding the noise from people I've sold that tire to over the years. Tends to be more of an issue longer in their life than initially out of the box.

MPG I can't really comment on. There's way way too many factors that have to be exactly the same throughout both tire's life to determine that. The wider tire will respond better in the wheel and provide more steering response. However, they will have a harder time cutting through ice/snow/water being wider. Tread life won't change based off size.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Neal, Tirerack.com has done a fantastic job of testing and comparing tires. Can you tell us if different classes of tires compared separately or with the universe of tires when given a "noise number"? I was thinking that summer tires vs. A/S tires might rate differently. Also how are noise levels assigned? Is it objective via "microphones" and sound levels, subjective via tire expert observations, or a combination? Please forgive me if I'm being too much of a noob. Just wondering.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Neal@tirerack

The tires are compared against others within their same class. What ranks an 8.0 in summer is not the same 8.0 in an all season. The survey ranking numbers are direct result of customer feedback.

The tire test result numbers are provided by us as a result of our tire testing. No microphones or other testing equipment use other than our human senses. The noise number is only surveyed during our road ride portion of testing, not the track testing. The roads we drive are a mixed bag of concrete highways, asphalt roads, smooth surfaces, and poor quality roads which have anything from expansion joins to large potholes. Speeds range from 35 mph on back country roads to 65 mph on the highway.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Neal, thank you for your help... again. :-)
I hope no one else reads this line is it the summer tires or AS tires that make the least road noise in general?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Neal@tirerack

No problem. Overall an all season tire will run quieter.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tinsley

The Dunlop Sport Maxx TT absolutely kicked butt in the Tire Rack testing in terms of both subjective and objective dry and wet track performance. It comes in 225/55/17.

As a max performance summer tire, I assume it's going to be louder and less "comfortable" than the DWS or AS Plus, and wear out sooner.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Neal@tirerack

Originally Posted by CougarRed
As a max performance summer tire, I assume it's going to be louder and less "comfortable" than the DWS or AS Plus, and wear out sooner.
Correct.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Neil.

I have studied the Tire Rack testing for all the 225/55/17 tires. These tests were conducted over several years, using a 2008 BMW and a 2011 BMW on the Tire Rack test course. I'm sure different drivers were involved. Different weather conditions.

Maybe the Sport Maxx TT was tested on a perfect day by the perfect driver in the perfect car, but no 225/55/17 tire has ever scored higher in:

Subjective dry cornering, steering, braking or handling
Subjective wet cornering, steering, braking or handling

No 225/55/17 tire has ever had a quicker dry lap or a quicker dry stop. The Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 had a slightly better dry slalom. The S.Drive tied the Sport Maxx TT for best dry cornering at 0.96g

No 225/55/17 tire has ever had a quicker wet slalom or wet lap, a quicker wet stop. The PZero Nero A/S tied the Sport Max TT for pulling 0.87gs in the wet corner.

To be fair, the DWS (which doesn't offer 225/55/17 but the 245/50/17 will fit) did have a slightly better wet slalom, wet lap, wet stop and wet corner than the Sport Maxx TT. I limited my comments above to all tires in the 225/55/17 category, to which the DWS does not belong.

On the flip side, lots of tires scored higher than the Sport Maxx TT in ride comfort and noise comfort. And it's certainly not all-season, as Tinsley inquired about.

Last edited by CougarRed; 07-01-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:50 AM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack
Not many to choose from, but some good stuff is available. DWS is the most popular with strongest a/s traction, but is a tad noisy and lacks a bit in dry. Michelin AS+ best dry and steering response, but works in moderate to light snow climates at most. The Yoko Envigor is happy medium between the two. Good life, handling, wet traction, etc. Been a crowd pleaser also.
Looking at the surveys of the HP 225/55-17 tire choices one would think the Goodyear Eagle RS-A is a terrible tire. We say the Yoko ENVigor is not that great on ice, but it gets a 5.8 rating by consumers compared to a 3.2 for the RS-A.

Is the RS-A really that bad, or do most folks love to beat up their OEM tires in the reviews?

I haven't had the opportunity to drive my RS-A's on the ice very much and now they're approaching end of life, but they don't seem like terrible tires.

My point here is that even if the ENVigors are not that great on ice, they are much better rated than the RS-A's, and I don't think the RS-A's are all that bad.

And sure the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is a great tire, but at $50 MORE per tire ($32.50 more per tire with the current $70 rebate offer), are they really worth it when the Yoko is a big improvement to start with? Those ratings are sweet, though... high in most all categories. But again, is that biased toward folks justifying the extra money they spent?

It seems like only controlled lab tests with specific vehicle weights and sheer point force measurements at set speeds and moisture levels for cornering tests, microphones for noise, long life rolling tests for distance, and rolling resistance measurements for fuel economy is the only way to really measure and scientifically compare this stuff. When left to individual experiences it can greatly vary, and even emotion can be part of that.

I think I'll just go with the Yokos!

Last edited by TinsleyC; 07-02-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: clarity

Quick Reply: All Season 17"