All Season 17"

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
^ I've seen extensive objective tire testing via specialized machinery on TV. But, I have not been able to find any published numbers from those tests on the 'net.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Looking at the surveys of the HP 225/55-17 tire choices one would think the Goodyear Eagle RS-A is a terrible tire. We say the Yoko ENVigor is not that great on ice, but it gets a 5.8 rating by consumers compared to a 3.2 for the RS-A.

Is the RS-A really that bad, or do most folks love to beat up their OEM tires in the reviews?

I haven't had the opportunity to drive my RS-A's on the ice very much and now they're approaching end of life, but they don't seem like terrible tires.

My point here is that even if the ENVigors are not that great on ice, they are much better rated than the RS-A's, and I don't think the RS-A's are all that bad.

And sure the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus is a great tire, but at $50 MORE per tire ($32.50 more per tire with the current $70 rebate offer), are they really worth it when the Yoko is a big improvement to start with? Those ratings are sweet, though... high in most all categories. But again, is that biased toward folks justifying the extra money they spent?

It seems like only controlled lab tests with specific vehicle weights and sheer point force measurements at set speeds and moisture levels for cornering tests, microphones for noise, long life rolling tests for distance, and rolling resistance measurements for fuel economy is the only way to really measure and scientifically compare this stuff. When left to individual experiences it can greatly vary, and even emotion can be part of that.

I think I'll just go with the Yokos!
Among the Yokos, Michellins, and DWSs, I don't think there is a bad choice no matter what you choose. They are so much better than the OEMs

Just keep in mind that the Yokos are softer and alright on ice. The Michellins handle better and work well on ice. The DWSs are pretty close to the Michellins. And pricing actually reflects their performance - you get what you pay for.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:47 PM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had personal experience with the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S -- had 235/45R17s on my previous car, a BMW 540i (rwd). They've been out in ~6" of snow many times and do really well. I think my only complaint about the tires is their lifespan -- mine only lasted 40K miles. That said, perhaps my expectations are too high, as I like to corner hard and wasn't particularly thorough about maintaining the tires. All in all, if I were to grab another set of all-weather tires, I'd get the Pirellis again. Why mess with success, right? I hope that helps.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone have any idea why the Michelin website would not recommend the Pilot Sport A/S Plus for a 2009 G37 Sedan Journey?

Click here, then choose "Find If This Tire Will Fit My Vehicle"

Pilot Sport A/S Plus | Michelin Tires

??
Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Anyone have any idea why the Michelin website would not recommend the Pilot Sport A/S Plus for a 2009 G37 Sedan Journey?

Click here, then choose "Find If This Tire Will Fit My Vehicle"

Pilot Sport A/S Plus | Michelin Tires

??
I don't know for sure, but, could be that they don't make the size you need. I'm looking for 17 245/50's, not all tires are made in that size.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:42 AM
TinsleyC

This is for the stock 225/55-17, recommended on TireRack and other sites... As well as this thread.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
It might be defaulting to the staggered 18" option in which the tire is not available.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
I'm looking for 17 245/50's, not all tires are made in that size.
Tell me what your research finds because I'm in the same boat. I was leaning heavy toward the 245/50-17 DWS but now thinking money is no object and leaning toward the Pilot Sport in a 225/55 size. I can't make up my mind. Oh.. and those Pilot Sports in the 245/50 are $220, not cheap!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Tell me what your research finds because I'm in the same boat. I was leaning heavy toward the 245/50-17 DWS but now thinking money is no object and leaning toward the Pilot Sport in a 225/55 size. I can't make up my mind. Oh.. and those Pilot Sports in the 245/50 are $220, not cheap!
TinsleyC, Exactly my thoughts. I wonder about the "Comfort" ratings of the Pilots, seems weak compared to the DWS. I've had the Pilots on another car some time ago, but, they were the only tires I everr ran on the car, replacing them once with like. So, I can't really compare them.

I've also heard about the General G-Max tires. Mostly possitive reviews, but, not very many reviews and little customer feedback at Tirerack so far.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:40 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
I've also heard about the General G-Max tires. Mostly possitive reviews, but, not very many reviews and little customer feedback at Tirerack so far.
I like that the General G-Max comes in both 225/55 and 245/50 in the 17. It's rated at 40k miles, 5k less than the Pilot Sport but for a lot less money ($86 per tire!). Interesting how the G-Max weighs 4 lbs less (3 lbs in the 245 size) than the Pilot Sport, so there is something missing there, literally.

Still, I agree, it may be the tire to buy. I was sold on the Yokos but now, I dunno... it changes weekly.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:42 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dunlop Sport Maxx TT wins another comparison test. These have to be the best performance tires (max summer) that come in standard sedan non-sport sizes.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by CougarRed
Dunlop Sport Maxx TT wins another comparison test. These have to be the best performance tires (max summer) that come in standard sedan non-sport sizes.
Great info, but this thread is about a 17" all-season, I would probably love that summer tire until we had our first snow/ice storm. Then I'd be cussing the tire because I wrecked my G!
Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great info, but this thread is about a 17" all-season, I would probably love that summer tire until we had our first snow/ice storm. Then I'd be cussing the tire because I wrecked my G!
Good point. This article demonstrates how poorly summer tires do in snow. Dallas gets 1.8 inches of snow per year. I assume that's enough to make summer tires a no go for year round use.

The interesting take from the article is that summer tires kick *** in the wet (and dry of course). Thus, the article suggests all-season tires tend to give up a ton of performance in both wet and dry conditions to summer tires. In return, all-season tires give you peace of mind and decent (not great) performance for those few of weeks of icy roads in Dallas every year.

Have you considered running all-season tires from November through March, and summer tires from April through October?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

CougarRed;
I wish I could find an index / comparison of all tires / types traction, noise etc. against one benchmark. We could see how much traction or ride comfort we are giving up or gaining via summer / AS etc. Some time back I remember seeing a machine that tested tire noise by rolling a tire against vertical cylinders with different surfaces at high speed. The numbers must be out there somewhere given all the testing manufactures do?
Tirerack reviews are great and very helpful when a consumer has limited their choice to one type of tire e.g. summer, AS etc. But, some may want winter / summer sets of tires if the trade-offs between the two are significant and important.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by CougarRed
Good point. This article demonstrates how poorly summer tires do in snow. Dallas gets 1.8 inches of snow per year. I assume that's enough to make summer tires a no go for year round use.

Have you considered running all-season tires from November through March, and summer tires from April through October?
It's not just that, but I like to travel (drive) up north some and don't want to get into a situation where there's snow on the ground and I'm in summer rubber.

I don't think two sets of tires would work for me, one, I'm too cheap, and two, my wife would have a fit with an extra set sitting around the garage...

Quick Reply: All Season 17"