G37S losing appeal after 2nd tire rotation

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:12 AM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks blnewt. I will check the tire brand. I am pretty sure they are the stock Potenza'a RE050. I really feel confident that they would not have rotated these if they were unidirectional. But it's still making that noise, even after they rotated them back to the original position. ;(
Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Maybe it's an alignment issue. My moms Honda civic did something similar to that and I went and got an alignment done with some new tires and the noise was gone.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you have a heel toe wear pattern on the tires? If so, your caster setting may be out of wack.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 PM
omonline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People buy G37 will not like ES350, as they are very different car.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:06 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Dude, the stock RE050 tires suck bawlz. I ain't even at 7k miles yet and they're damn near done. What a POS tire.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS
Dude, the stock RE050 tires suck bawlz. I ain't even at 7k miles yet and they're damn near done. What a POS tire.
They wear really fast but they are what they are, a very "grippy" summer performance tire. Not many tires that grip as good as Potenzas last very long.
Mine were done about 18k, some have gone 25k but it seems the avg is about 15k. Wish they weren't so expensive too
There are MUCH worse tires out there for sure. Take the pathetic Goodyear RS-As that come stock on the 17" Journeys, now those tire suck bawlz
Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little update from the OP here. I got an automated call from Infiniti yesterday (as I always do when I get serviced there) asking if I were happy with the results of my service. I said "no", and within minutes my service rep called me. He really wants to get this issue resolved to my satisfaction.

The first thing he asked me to do was to check my air pressure and set each tire to 32psi. Then take it for a ride and get back with him. All my tires were at 35.5psi so I let some air out and got them all to exactly 32psi. This gave me a softer feeling ride, which I like, but the loud noise is still there.

So, I am taking the car into the dealer next week to see what else can be done outside of buying new tires.

After reading these post, I am leaning towards buying new tires but there are 2 things I have to consider. One, there are still 3-5 thousand miles left on these tires according to my multi-point inspection last week. Two, when I took the car in for this service, it was not making that roaring sound in the tire, so I believe wholeheartedly that it was something they did and hopefully can be reversed so I can live out the last few thousand miles of these tires.

I'll update next week and also make some of the suggestions posted here.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 PM
ijahman

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
NC dealerships...most people are idiots...my dealership in raleigh nc told me they couldn't give my car a state inspection because they couldn't get it on the lift since it was to low...So a tire rotation on staggered wheels sounds about normal for these dealerships...But @15k its time to get a new set of tires...
Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 PM
RSVracer

was your vibration issue ever resolved?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM
RSVracer

subscribing
Old 11-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
if its only coming from one corner maybe its a bad wheel hub. I would make them test drive it and then make them run it while its on the lift and if the noise is still there then its definitely the wheel hub
Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Pittjrs

Originally Posted by G37NC
I had my 15,000 mile multi-point inspection done last Friday and when I drove the car away I noticed an unusual road noise which sounded like it was coming from the front left tire. At 50mph it was so bad I could hear it over a loud radio.

I took the car back, one of the service reps rode with me. They switched the 2 front tires back and the sound was still bad, along with a slight vibration in the steering wheel. Took it back and they switched the 2 rear tires back.

So now, the tires are just like they were before I brought it in except I still have this louder than when I brought it in road noise. The service said he heard it and said we could switch the tires with a brand new set of rims from a car on the lot, just to see if this is indeed a tire issue.

Anyway, I was out driving around today and my car just doesn't seem to have the same appeal it has with this loud road noise. It drives me bonkers! Especially when I know it wasn't there before I brought it in.

Any one else experience this?

I had the EXACT same problem in my G37xS. Turns out it was a worn out wheel bearing that was fine one day and busted the next. It was replaced under warranty. Instantly fixed the problem.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 AM
RSVracer

Originally Posted by Pittjrs
I had the EXACT same problem in my G37xS. Turns out it was a worn out wheel bearing that was fine one day and busted the next. It was replaced under warranty. Instantly fixed the problem.
Were you having the vibration issue, the noise issue, or both? I only have the vibration problem on my 09 XS sedan but it seems to be the worst when I let the car sit for an extended period, say 8 hours, then immediately drive it at highway speeds. If I drive it at 55 or under, I dont usually notice it. Even when the car has been driven on the highway for 10+ miles my passenger seat vibrates like a tuning fork.
BTW, I'm on my 3rd set of tires in less than 20k miles because it was always blamed on the tires. I bought the car when it had 25k and the stock dunlops. Replaced those with a set of Hankook Ventus V4 ES at approximately 28k and drove them for approximately 10k. I'm now at 43k and rolling on Bridgestone RE970's.

Last edited by RSVracer; 11-23-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by G37NC
Yes, Infiniti of Charlotte. I must say I've always had exceptional service there in the past, even when I had my '05 G35. And I will get to the bottom of this, I promise!

So, the consensus here so far says they should not be rotating the tires, not even side to side since they are staggered and unidirectional.

On the S and the IPL no rotating tires!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Pittjrs

Originally Posted by RSVracer
Were you having the vibration issue, the noise issue, or both? I only have the vibration problem on my 09 XS sedan but it seems to be the worst when I let the car sit for an extended period, say 8 hours, then immediately drive it at highway speeds. If I drive it at 55 or under, I dont usually notice it. Even when the car has been driven on the highway for 10+ miles my passenger seat vibrates like a tuning fork.
BTW, I'm on my 3rd set of tires in less than 20k miles because it was always blamed on the tires. I bought the car when it had 25k and the stock dunlops. Replaced those with a set of Hankook Ventus V4 ES at approximately 28k and drove them for approximately 10k. I'm now at 43k and rolling on Bridgestone RE970's.
I was experiencing both vibration and a 'Rum Rum Rum Rum' (best way to describe it) noise once I reach speeds above 50mph.

The worn out wheel bearing was fixed and the noise instantly went away and the vibrations were decreased. I have to say that I do have a slight vibration even after a road force balance from the factory, alignment, and 4 wheel balance. My car is riding on the original factory tires with 12,500 miles total. I get the sense the 2010+ sedans have a vibration problem based on other posts i've read.... but its not enough to ruin the ride.

Quick Reply: G37S losing appeal after 2nd tire rotation