bought new rims and having fitment issues.. help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 AM
rob1986

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bought new rims and having fitment issues.. help

i have a 2010 g vert with sport package.

I ordered a set of staggered 20in lexani rims with tires from this website.. the rear wheels were 20x10 and the fronts are 20x8.5. The rear wheels fit perfect they are flush with the car etc but the front wheels just barely hit the caliper(when spinning the wheel it hits the caliper lightly).. So I bought a 5mm spacer from pep boys which makes it clear the caliper fine but my problem now is that the studs arent long enough for me to screw the lug nuts on. I looked into hub centric spacers which have bolts on them but those only come in 15mm or bigger. I am thinking my only option is to have a tire place install longer studs but I am trying to avoid doing that since this is a lease and i dont want to have to have the stocks studs installed again when i return the car. Another issue is that even WITHOUT any spacers the front wheels stick out like 1/2 inch from the car which looks retarded but arent the front stock 19in sport wheels the same width as these? arent they 8.5in? a little confused here as to why they are sticking out that much when they arent any wider.. has anybody had this problem or know what to do?? thanks

the last pic is with the spacer.. but without the spacer it rests on the caliper

Last edited by rob1986; 05-06-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 AM
superleggera

it all comes down to offset bro, what are the front wheels offsets>??
Old 05-06-2011, 12:34 AM
rob1986

im not sure what offset they are.. i just looked at the box and next to ET it says 28 not sure if thats it but what is the offset of the front supposed to be?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Yes that is the offset
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

I would return the wheels to the store. Did you tell the people you ordered them from you had sport brakes for the G37??
Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 AM
rob1986

yes they actually sent the wrong offset the first time where as i couldn't even mount the wheel to the hub before the spokes hit the caliper but now i can mount it flat but just skims the caliper i bet a 2-3mm spacer would be enough but all i found was 5mm.. but are you saying 28 is the correct offset for the fronts? if so why would it stick out so much and be hitting the caliper? and is it normal for the studs to be too short for after market wheels n the G ?

they know its for my car sport model sport brakes etc
Old 05-06-2011, 12:52 AM
rob1986

even if it was the correct offset what would change just the center piece of the wheel would be a little longer no? in a sense it would be the current wheel + spacer combined wouldnt it? if thats the case it still has fitment issues with it sticking out too far from the car and studs not being long enough
Old 05-06-2011, 01:01 AM
emyrl

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the reasons why the wheels are sticking out so much is because you're most likely not lowered. Once you lower your car the wheels will camber in.

From the last picture it looks like the spokes barely clear the calipers. Are they actually touching the calipers? If not then you're fine.

But if it is a problem and you want to keep the wheels and you don't want to change out the studs and want the lowest width spacer possible, then Project Kics 10mm is the only way to go. Pretty expensive but the quality of the spacer is top notch.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:07 AM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by rob1986
i have a 2010 g vert with sport package.

I ordered a set of staggered 20in lexani rims with tires from this website.. the rear wheels were 20x10 and the fronts are 20x8.5. The rear wheels fit perfect they are flush with the car etc but the front wheels just barely hit the caliper(when spinning the wheel it hits the caliper lightly).. So I bought a 5mm spacer from pep boys which makes it clear the caliper fine but my problem now is that the studs arent long enough for me to screw the lug nuts on. I looked into hub centric spacers which have bolts on them but those only come in 15mm or bigger. I am thinking my only option is to have a tire place install longer studs but I am trying to avoid doing that since this is a lease and i dont want to have to have the stocks studs installed again when i return the car. Another issue is that even WITHOUT any spacers the front wheels stick out like 1/2 inch from the car which looks retarded but arent the front stock 19in sport wheels the same width as these? arent they 8.5in? a little confused here as to why they are sticking out that much when they arent any wider.. has anybody had this problem or know what to do?? thanks

the last pic is with the spacer.. but without the spacer it rests on the caliper

1) Your easiest fix here would be to add a 5mm hubcentric spacer for the front.

Do not install the $10.00 spacers from your major chain store. They are junk, cause vibration at higher speeds, and crack over time.

Your pushing the requirement for getting longer studs, but in my opinion you'll be okay without them.

2) The problem you have as already mentioned is the offset for the front.

Take pictures of the car without it jacked up in the air. Take some better angle shots so that we can judge how the car really looks.

Look at some of the pictures shares forums on the site for some examples.
We would like to see the face of the wheel if possible.

3) If all else fails.. Sell the fronts, buy the right offset, or see if the shop you bought them from who should of known what the most aggressive offset you could of safely put on the car will exchange them for the correct offset.

Last edited by JGabucci; 05-06-2011 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Correction.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 AM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by rob1986
yes they actually sent the wrong offset the first time where as i couldn't even mount the wheel to the hub before the spokes hit the caliper but now i can mount it flat but just skims the caliper i bet a 2-3mm spacer would be enough but all i found was 5mm.. but are you saying 28 is the correct offset for the fronts? if so why would it stick out so much and be hitting the caliper? and is it normal for the studs to be too short for after market wheels n the G ?

they know its for my car sport model sport brakes etc
28 offset should clear the calipers no problem. Unless its just the way they are designed and just don't fit the car.

Look at the inside of the wheel, it should be marked as to what offset it is. I think they might have F*cked up and sent the wrong offset in the right box.

I run a 32 offset in the front it doesn't give much clearance for the calipers in the front, but it clears, and they never ever touch the calipers.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 AM
emyrl

28 offset usually does clear the calipers but sometimes the way the face of the wheels are designed doesn't work with BBKs.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Doggy

28 on an 8.5? That shouldn't poke out that much
Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 AM
P Casey
Premier Member

Are you sure you have the fronts up front and the rears going on the rear>>>>>>j/k very strange I would call the shop
Old 05-06-2011, 01:22 AM
rob1986

Originally Posted by emyrl
One of the reasons why the wheels are sticking out so much is because you're most likely not lowered. Once you lower your car the wheels will camber in.

From the last picture it looks like the spokes barely clear the calipers. Are they actually touching the calipers? If not then you're fine.

But if it is a problem and you want to keep the wheels and you don't want to change out the studs and want the lowest width spacer possible, then Project Kics 10mm is the only way to go. Pretty expensive but the quality of the spacer is top notch.
the 3rd pic is with the 5mm spacer which clears the caliper but without any spacer the spoke rests on the caliper where i can still spin it but it skims over it.

i looked at those spacers but one thing.. what if my stock studs stick out to far from that spacer? i understand the spacer goes on the car and you use the spacer nuts to lock it onto the stock hub and then attach the wheel to the spacers studs but what if the stock studs stick out too far and then you cant mount the wheel on flush?

also the wheels already sticks out alot with a 5mm spacer.. so if i increase it to 10 it will really look ridiculous lol

Last edited by rob1986; 05-06-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:28 AM
rob1986

these are the wheels i have they are lexani lss-55

Quick Reply: bought new rims and having fitment issues.. help