Vibrating ~ Adverse Effects

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Vibrating ~ Adverse Effects

If you are vibrating, will it cause adverse effects on the wheels? Like warp the hub of the rotor/hub of the wheel?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
dude i cant believe how many problems you have, why dont u just fix the vibrating problems
Old 04-12-2011, 06:17 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pcasey
dude i cant believe how many problems you have, why dont u just fix the vibrating problems
no shiet lol im getting hub rings from lou@amplified cause kverd and another guy said they have hub rings with their gt-30's, (i don't) so im gonna buy like 4 of them for $20 and hopefully that solves it!

but just wanted to know if it had any adverse effects on the wheels/suspension/rotors
Old 04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcasey

I'd just sell the volks and get some works or ssr
Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With Volks you shouldn't even have to run rings
Old 04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Hub rings are only for help centering the rim when you put it on. They serve no function to decrease vibration; the rims are still held on by the lugs, not the rings.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:04 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Well when you buy them new, Rays (Volk) gives you hub rings with them. I just called Lou and he said getting the rings should help... and weiboy, kverd(graphiteg37s) and another guy said they are running hub rings with their volks and always were since they got them, so I figured its worth a shot

@ mike, i know the rims are held on by the lugs, but doesnt the bore size matter as well? like isnt our bore size 66.2mm or something and volk gt-30s are 73 something? i was reading something about that im not sure. just trying to find different solutions. dont really mind spending $20 just to see if it works, who knows... it might

because i did get my wheels balanced already they said they all clocked in perfectly at (0) and the guy even said they are all perfectly round so I see no other reason for the slight vibrations i get. i mean the tires ARE worn, but not significantly. they are only worn because of the fact that the faces of the wheels on switched and I had to switch them back properly. (hand torqued the fasteners and used loctite blue 242) next day got them balanced he said everything seemed fine except for the fact that I still NEED an alignment and the fact that I am not running hub rings. but I guess i could get new tires but I rather get the rings first and see where that goes although mike is making me reconsider ???
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Mike

Put it this way. The rings are very close to the hub diameter, but there is still some clearance, so that you can get it on. If the wheel is truly centered on the hub with the lugs holding it on, the ring is not actually touching the hub at all. Thus, what is its true function?

Have you put the rims on a balancing machine without tires mounted?

I really hope you find a solution to all your problems
Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike
Put it this way. The rings are very close to the hub diameter, but there is still some clearance, so that you can get it on. If the wheel is truly centered on the hub with the lugs holding it on, the ring is not actually touching the hub at all. Thus, what is its true function?

Have you put the rims on a balancing machine without tires mounted?

I really hope you find a solution to all your problems
Nope, but they have been balanced like 5-6 times already lol . People say on other forums that Volks are not hubcentric and you should used the hubcentric rings
Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Mike

Try putting them on a balancing machine without a tire on it. It should be perfectly balanced without weights. If its not, the rim is damaged. You can still balance it, but personally, I'd get rid of it at that point.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:56 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't believe there is some sort of debate on this, Listen up... hub centric rings are MANDATORY!!! if your wheel bore size is different then your hub bore!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:55 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Damn Johnny, still having problems huh...

Just get the hub rings and see if those will solve the problem....

if not then it's gotta be the wheels.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:11 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Every set of aftermarket wheels I've ever had came with vehicle specific hub rings. I've driven cars with out them too, and there is ALWAYS a vibration at higher speeds like 50mph+. It feels similar to an unbalanced wheel. The rings have solved the problem every time. You need the wheel to be hub centric, not lug centric. All 4 wheels are centered on the hub in the same position with rings. Without rings you can try to center the wheels on the hub by eye and tighten with lugs, but its very difficult to get all 4 wheels centered evenly, and this can be felt when driving.

Put it this way, without rings you have about 7mm of play on an aftermarket wheel with a 73mm bore, this will be less because they can only move as much as the spacing in the lug holes allow, but it is still enough play to allow each wheel to be centered differently. With rings you have 0.2mm of play, so each wheel is centered on the hub and equal.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:09 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AZg37
Every set of aftermarket wheels I've ever had came with vehicle specific hub rings. I've driven cars with out them too, and there is ALWAYS a vibration at higher speeds like 50mph+. It feels similar to an unbalanced wheel. The rings have solved the problem every time. You need the wheel to be hub centric, not lug centric. All 4 wheels are centered on the hub in the same position with rings. Without rings you can try to center the wheels on the hub by eye and tighten with lugs, but its very difficult to get all 4 wheels centered evenly, and this can be felt when driving.

Put it this way, without rings you have about 7mm of play on an aftermarket wheel with a 73mm bore, this will be less because they can only move as much as the spacing in the lug holes allow, but it is still enough play to allow each wheel to be centered differently. With rings you have 0.2mm of play, so each wheel is centered on the hub and equal.
damn bro, thanks for the detailed response. so by thursday when i get these rings from lou, hopefully ill be happy thanks everyone
Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 PM
RaizinCayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as for your original question..yes it can have adverse affects on not just the wheel itself but very abnormal tire wear, and wearing out the wheel bearing.

Quick Reply: Vibrating ~ Adverse Effects