review/opinions on a new tire (tirerack chime in too)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by CougarRed
Hi Neal -

Any update on these tires?

BTW - General is a Continental brand now, correct?
We just started testing tires for the season so word should be out soon. Haven't had much customer feedback yet either. Many of the sizes are on backorder at the moment so not a lot have gone out the door. I'll keep you updated
Old 05-20-2011, 06:41 PM
MR.T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neal what about the Michelin Pilot Super Sport(Max Performance Summer) compared to the Conti DW or V12?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack
We just started testing tires for the season so word should be out soon on the General G-MAX. Haven't had much customer feedback yet either. Many of the sizes are on back order at the moment so not a lot have gone out the door. I'll keep you updated
Thanks Neal - I'll be on the lookout.

The GMAX AS 03 could be an important tire for G37 owners, because it comes in so many compatible sizes, such as:

225/55/17
245/50/17

225/50/18
245/45/18

245/40/19
275/35/19
Old 05-21-2011, 01:10 PM
4drScreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by novaleadfoot

Am I missing something or does this look like an SUV tire that should be on an Escalade or something? Maybe it's the profile or the tread design, but it definitely doesn't look like something to put on a performance car.

Neal, help me out here. Is this the new tread trend for quality performance tires? Maybe this is an all season or something? I understand the new computerized tread design solutions, but this is looking a bit toothy. Thoughts?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by MR.T
Neal what about the Michelin Pilot Super Sport(Max Performance Summer) compared to the Conti DW or V12?
From what I've seen and heard the Super Sport is quickly becomming the top dog in its class. The DW is currently top but the SS hasn't had enough reviews to have it ranked just yet. Combine the tread life warranty, better ride quality vs. the PS2, better wet traction, etc and it will be very tough to beat.
Originally Posted by CougarRed
Thanks Neal - I'll be on the lookout.

The GMAX AS 03 could be an important tire for G37 owners, because it comes in so many compatible sizes.
Totally agree. Anxious myself to see how they perform.

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
Am I missing something or does this look like an SUV tire that should be on an Escalade or something? Maybe it's the profile or the tread design, but it definitely doesn't look like something to put on a performance car.

Neal, help me out here. Is this the new tread trend for quality performance tires? Maybe this is an all season or something? I understand the new computerized tread design solutions, but this is looking a bit toothy. Thoughts?
Might be the size pictured as well. Remember it's an all season so the tread design will be more aggressive, especially in the shoulder area compared to a summer only tire.

The sport all season class is probably the hardest to design. That class has to appeal to those who want to retain some performance feel, but also give adequate snow/ice traction and longer tread life. Basically a bit of everything. Sometimes that makes the tire look a bit like Frankenstein... but it works.

Over the last 9 yrs here I've seen more and more tire companies move toward asymmetrical tread designs and away from directional. They tend to run quieter, you can rotate them w/out taking the tire off the wheel, offers better dry traction and response, etc. Does not mean the General will be a bad tire because it's directional, but it will pose a little more of a challenge when it comes to longevity, noise, and dry traction.

Personally, I'm going into this tire expecting it to be a good performer in the wet like the UHP was, a little noisier than normal, and average in light to moderate snow climates. Probably not a bad tire for someone living in lets say TN where you can see snow but prob more rain in those months.

Guess we'll find out....