Safe to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Safe to use?

I purchased a set of wheels which included one "broken" wheel. I wasn't worried because I had a spare wheel.
This is the two rear wheels. The broken one is "broken" because the hole has been worn out. I can only assume the wheel started vibrating because of the lug nuts and wallowed out the hole.. Seller said he was using aftermarket lug nuts and the nuts just fell straight through.. The stock lugs still fit and do not fall through though. Is it safe to use these?

Normal

not so normal

Normal

Not so normal
Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 PM
breftayka

Would someone check their lug nuts and see if the nut is touching the deeper part or just the top part? The other set of lug nuts I have don't even come close to falling through the hole.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM
EnviedG35

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
WEll for one those are not the correct lug nuts to be using with those wheels. Any kind of aftermarket lug nut should NEVER be used with these oem wheels. ONLY the oem lug nuts are designed to be used with the oem infiniti wheels. Get a set of oem lug nuts and you will be ok.

This is the oem lug nut that you absolutely must use with these wheels

AS you can see with face of the lugnut is designed to sit against the thick part of the hub. The pieces that broke off are very thin and only ther to center the wheel on the stud. They are not meant for any type of load bearing. That is why they sheared off with an aftermarket conical lugnut

Last edited by EnviedG35; 04-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 PM
breftayka

Originally Posted by EnviedG35
WEll for one those are not the correct lug nuts to be using with those wheels. Any kind of aftermarket lug nut should NEVER be used with these oem wheels. ONLY the oem lug nuts are designed to be used with the oem infiniti wheels. Get a set of oem lug nuts and you will be ok.

This is the oem lug nut that you absolutely must use with these wheels

AS you can see with face of the lugnut is designed to sit against the thick part of the hub. The pieces that broke off are very thin and only ther to center the wheel on the stud. They are not meant for any type of load bearing. That is why they sheared off with an aftermarket conical lugnut
Thanks for the response. I know it says use toe OEM lug nuts. I was not the one who used the aftermarket ones. I merely want to know if it is worth me getting the lug nuts from the dealer.
Thanks for the response though, I will try to purchase them tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:35 PM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be skeptical, especially since the seller didn't have enough brains to realize what was happening. To wear out those lug holes like that the seller must have been driving like that for months.