I neeed help with (Forgestar) wheel sizes for my G37xS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I neeed help with (Forgestar) wheel sizes for my G37xS

I know this is another thread of the same material....but I've been reading through here for the past few weeks and still can't get the answer I need. I'm trying to understand more about the offsets, sizes, lowering, etc...and I'm getting better.

Anyway, I'm interested in the Forgestar F14 wheels. I'm pretty sure this is what I want. I'm confused with a couple of things though. I'm pretty sure I want 19" for my summer tires. I don't want a staggered setup, even though they look beautiful!

1.) I see they have concave and deep concave. Will deep concave work for me? What are my options here?

2.) Are the 19 x 9.5 okay for me? I know most people like to go wider, but should I really? Again, I want the same size all around (that deep concave front rear audi S5 looks awesome ), but I want to make sure it works. I don't really see the need to go flush, although it looks nice. (do I have to go flush to get the deep concave look?).

3.) I don't think I'll ever drop it, no matter how much I want to. If I ever do consider dropping it, should I just stay a little tucked now due to dropping pushing the edges of the wheels out further? I don't want them to ever poke out, and I don't want to stretch the tires either.

4.) Are the Forgestar custom ordered? How long does it take? They have an F14 and F14F. "F" looks like it's forged instead of flow formed. which do I want? Is there a huge price difference? Is forged going to be stronger; but at what $$ cost?

4a.)They show a range for offsets; does that mean I can choose? The wheel offset calculator (Wheel Offset Calculator) shows that if I went from my 7.5 wheels to 8.5 wheel they will be 1mm less on the inside, and extend and extra 25mm on the outside. Is this what I'm looking for (I can measure what I currently have from the edge of my rim to the fender). If I go wider (9.5 or 10) what kind of offset are we talking about? Again, should I stick with something narrower in case the day comes when I want to drop without stretching the tire?

Thanks again and sorry for all these questions. Maybe this thread will help more of the AWD guys searching for the same answers. I've been trying hard not to post all this hoping I could find the answers on my own, but I'm just coming up short. hehe

I'm still running on winter tires and need these off soon! I was love the Miro Type 111, too, but it looks like it won't accomodate my G37xS either. I also like a couple of the Vossens.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

oh, on 4a above...I don't actually know the offset of my stock 18 x 7.5 wheels. I think I put in 45mm on the calculator, so that could be way off.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Concavity is dependent on the stock offset of the car. Some cars have room for deeper concave than others. For example, 370z can have deeper concave than g37. But they will max out the concavity for your order, if you'd like.

2. Flush stance looks muuuuch better. Looks well put together and that the body doesn't look like an oversized shell.

3. Drop will tuck the wheels a little.

4. F14F is forged. F14 is flow-formed. Forged is much stronger but more expensive. For exmaple, iForged wheels (forged) go for 3000+. Forged wheels are preferred but they're also expensive, so it's up to your budget.

5. Forgestar will calculate the most optimal offset for you depending on your preference.

PM me.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. This does help a lot.

FWIW, this is my daily driver (25,000 miles a year) so one of my concerns is "looks nice" is always objective (but of course, I value all the opinions here and want to know what does "look nice"), so I want to make sure I don't get something that looks better, but really changes my handling negatively (ie front wheels too wide, tires stretched, too much camber if dropped, etc).

That's why I'm kind of lost when it comes to what wheel width I really want. will 9.5 be better than 10 for me? I mean, these are only for summer, so they don't have to be narrow enough to cut through the snow. Since I'm running 7.5 now, anything wider should be a nice upgrade.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

Does anyone know what tire size I will need if I go with a 19 x 9.5" wheel all around?

I want to make sure my rolling diameter is as close to stock as possible (and I don't want to have stretched tires). Will going with 9.5" wide make my selections fewer and more expensive? would a 19 x 9 be better?

Thanks for the help. I'm ready to place the order but really need some guidance here.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:03 PM
D_Nyholm

Did you ever end up getting the wheels? I kind of have some similar questions as you and would like to know if you figured it out.

I think i am looking at going with 19x8.5 ET38 F and R, or 20 in the same setup. I do not like the stretched look and these cars with the excessive low offset (10-20) look stupid (IMO) and wasteful since thier camber is all whacked out to make them fit.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Did you ever end up getting the wheels? I kind of have some similar questions as you and would like to know if you figured it out.

I think i am looking at going with 19x8.5 ET38 F and R, or 20 in the same setup. I do not like the stretched look and these cars with the excessive low offset (10-20) look stupid (IMO) and wasteful since thier camber is all whacked out to make them fit.
That is very conservative, and close to the stock wheel specs. I assume you drive AWD. For an 8.5 on an Eibach drop. A +15 offset would be a nice flush look. A +38 on an 8.5 would be tucked in about 2"-3" on the same drop. If you are on stock springs, well then you might as well just get whatever is recommended by the manufacturer.
A +15 on an 8.5" wide wheel is a lot more conservative than a + 15 on a 10.5" wheel.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM
D_Nyholm

Yeah, i'd prefer something close to the stock setup, maybe a few mm out. I've dealt with improper offsets on other cars. Rubbing tires, camber wear, etc... and it isn't something i'd want to deal with again. I'd prefer to stay close to stock, or slightly more aggressive, but nothing like i see on some of these cars!