To everyones who plastipid ther rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 PM
08g37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To everyones who plastipid ther rims

like the title says i got a couple questions for the people who plasidip there rims.
1. to the people who has them on for over 6 months or less (or more) how well is it holding up?
2. putting clear coat over give it a better finish?( to who actually has done that)
3. will it get damaged or peel off when going to an automatic machine wash?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This is ez...

1. Looks like the day I sprayed it on. California weathering has had no negative effect on it.

2. Putting a clear coat over it will make it look like ****, dont do it. Trust me...

3. I have pressure washed my car a few times, and that sucker is on like a champ.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by wlmngtn
This is ez...

1. Looks like the day I sprayed it on. California weathering has had no negative effect on it.

2. Putting a clear coat over it will make it look like ****, dont do it. Trust me...

3. I have pressure washed my car a few times, and that sucker is on like a champ.
Good to know it holds up great in summer like weather. I did mine recently and need the finish to last until I order my new wheels next winter.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, did not notice the thread said "Rims" specifically. I have plastidip on my Grill & Rear Emblems. My bud actually did his wheels, they hold up. He said he sprayed one can per wheel.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Well I ll let you guys know how mine hold up I guess.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 AM
csnpsu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soolman32
Well I ll let you guys know how mine hold up I guess.
Yea me too, I am doing mine this weekend, I will post pics when i am done.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:35 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 08g37
like the title says i got a couple questions for the people who plasidip there rims.
1. to the people who has them on for over 6 months or less (or more) how well is it holding up?
2. putting clear coat over give it a better finish?( to who actually has done that)
3. will it get damaged or peel off when going to an automatic machine wash?
When you do it, ensure you tape up the lug nut holes. Unfortunately I did not do this, so after taking them off the first time, removing the lug nuts caused the plasti dip to peel from the center. I managed to get it under control, but will definitely have to do it again and tape up the holes.
Regarding automatic car washes. The high pressure water sprayers MAY catch it just right. Once it starts to peel and is under high pressure it will come off it patches and look terrible. Automatic car washes should be a no-no anyway.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 AM
csnpsu

I just wanted to follow up on this…

I finally got around to spraying the plastipid on my rims. I have to say, I am shocked how good they look. They did not look that great while they were drying but after drying over night, they have a nice smooth finish, almost like if they were powder coated. Since I only did it last night I can not comment on how they will hold up.

But I must say I am a little worried about taking it off one day. I mean it looks like it is on there so nice it will never come off. Has anyone removed plastidip before? How did it go? Did it leave any residue behind?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:41 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
When you put them on the car be careful or it will start to come off around the lug nuts. You'll be surprised how easy it is to take this stuff off.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
CDONNS

Originally Posted by csnpsu
I just wanted to follow up on this…

I finally got around to spraying the plastipid on my rims. I have to say, I am shocked how good they look. They did not look that great while they were drying but after drying over night, they have a nice smooth finish, almost like if they were powder coated. Since I only did it last night I can not comment on how they will hold up.

But I must say I am a little worried about taking it off one day. I mean it looks like it is on there so nice it will never come off. Has anyone removed plastidip before? How did it go? Did it leave any residue behind?
I sprayed it directly on the body of the car, don't worry, it comes off easily and completely.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 AM
joebeast

DO NOT PLASTIDIP YOUR RIMS! i did, and now i am deeply regret doing it. It does not comes out easily like people said. Overtime, it will melt and drip out some oily black liquid. Please reconsider, this is from my own personal experience. Also, clear coating on top of your plastidip makes your rims look like sheeez!!! from my own personal experience as well.. X(
Old 03-31-2011, 10:28 AM
csnpsu

Originally Posted by joebeast
DO NOT PLASTIDIP YOUR RIMS! i did, and now i am deeply regret doing it. It does not comes out easily like people said. Overtime, it will melt and drip out some oily black liquid. Please reconsider, this is from my own personal experience. Also, clear coating on top of your plastidip makes your rims look like sheeez!!! from my own personal experience as well.. X(
Really??? That is odd. Most people say it is real easy. Did you make sure your wheels were clean before you sprayed on the plastidip? Did you follow the instructions? Do you think maybe they ended up looking like crap and not coming off because you sprayed a clear coat on? Can you give me some more details about what happened?

Sorry, I know that is a lot of questions but I did one wheel last night and I really like it.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:47 AM
CDONNS

The clear coat and plasti-dip mixture more than likely didn't agree with each other and started to break down after a while. You're the first one I've seen who has had that kind of issue. Did the oily black liquid stain the rim or something?
Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Frankyg37s

what u talking about i sprayed all my rims in octobre 4 winter and i took it off last week
MY RIM S LOOK LIKE NEW some spots its a lil harder to remove but its not a big deal
Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM
simpson_G37X

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
to everyone whos worried about taking off the plasti dip, here is the very easy way to get it off:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-easy-way.html

Quick Reply: To everyones who plastipid ther rims