How safe are wheel lock lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a question for you, where is your Key Lock?

Is it in the trunk with the spare, in the glovebox, or in the center console? Now tell me, how hard is it to take your wheels.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
A Caddy Escalade in my neighborhood just had its wheels stolen the other night, noticed it was up on blocks right in front of the guys house when I came home. Surprised they didn't just steal the vehicle why they were at it. I saw a vid that showed how weak the shifter interlock was that allowed thieves to pop the vehicle into neutral and push it with another car.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
Here's a question for you, where is your Key Lock?

Is it in the trunk with the spare, in the glovebox, or in the center console? Now tell me, how hard is it to take your wheels.
Very good point, but then again you need to have the key with you in case you get a flat. I guess they really only deter the newb thief.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
The best defense is to let the wife parallel park the car. Eventually all 4 wheels will have rash. Thieves won't be interested in your my wheels. Problem solved.
LOL...if only this weren't true. Not the wife part, but the scratched and bad looking wheels not getting stolen. I am meticulous about not rubbing curbs. My reward was a 9 year old set of OEM Audi wheels being stolen from my vehicle. I couldn't believe it, but they were probably in better shape than most cars 1 year old.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 PM
dopey
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Exactly. The question is who casually steals wheels from cars? It's not like grabbing a candy bar and putting it in your pocket at the convenience store. Anyone who is serious enough to target marketable wheels is serious enough to prepare or is willing to take an extra few seconds to get what they want. Does anyone think there are thieves who are stealing high-end wheels because they just happen to have the same car and liked your wheels better than their own?

Yeah, exactly. I'd love to see someone walk up to a car and say "wow, i really want those wheels" and casually take them off and walk away

Only reason why I have the locking nuts is the car came with them.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 PM
melz

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
Depends on the neighborhood in Manhattan. I would not park my car in any of the bad neighborhoods. Enjoy your trip.
Second that. It depends on the neighborhood. I park in Tribeca all the time and nothing bad has ever happened to my car there. I suppose my G would be the last on the list of cars to steal from given the assortment of other high end cars parked on the streets of Tribeca. I actually worry more about bumper rash in Manhattan than someone swiping my wheels.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 PM
melz

Originally Posted by pro-gadgeter
Upper east side, is a VERY nice area. haha no need to be scared. you'll prob end up parking in a parking garage anyways since its pretty hard to find parking their. Just make sure you have wheel locks on.
I once had the full-size spare of my M3 stolen in a garage in Manhattan. It took me 5 weeks (only looked to check on the tire pressure) to realize that it was gone and by then I couldn't prove a thing.

Be careful of the garages... some of those valet guys are not so honest. They will take your spare change, your sunglasses, your iPod adapter. Anything they can get their grubby paws on. Always take your valuables and check everything before you leave the garage.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by melz
I once had the full-size spare of my M3 stolen in a garage in Manhattan. It took me 5 weeks (only looked to check on the tire pressure) to realize that it was gone and by then I couldn't prove a thing.

Be careful of the garages... some of those valet guys are not so honest. They will take your spare change, your sunglasses, your iPod adapter. Anything they can get their grubby paws on. Always take your valuables and check everything before you leave the garage.
I used to park my car in a garage near Park Avenue and 59th Street. The valet guy swapped out my car battery!! I didn't realize that until the battery died a few months later.