How safe are wheel lock lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniper27
well, i plan on visiting NY sometime. by brother lives in Manhattan, but i won't be driving there. thankfully. i guess i'll see.
I took my car to get new wheels and realized when I arrived at the garage (far from home) that I had forgotten the "key" for the locking nuts. I thought, oh no!!!! The garage guy said did I care if the locking nuts were ruined in the process of removing the wheels and I said "no." 10 seconds later, the locking nut was off. Any pro would not be slowed down enough to matter.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well, i plan on visiting NY sometime. by brother lives in Manhattan, but i won't be driving there. thankfully. i guess i'll see.
Depends on the neighborhood in Manhattan. I would not park my car in any of the bad neighborhoods. Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
Depends on the neighborhood in Manhattan. I would not park my car in any of the bad neighborhoods. Enjoy your trip.
upper east side? that's what he said. I have no clue what that means. never been there.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
The point here is that professional car thieves are one thing, but many thefts are crimes of convenience. Anything you do to inconvenience or slow down a wheel theft will ultimately help increase the security of your alloys.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
wheel locks will help, they'll at least hinder the thief. but like most anti-theft devices they can be eventually bypassed. if a veteran thief wants your wheels he'll get them if he has the right oppotunity.

i believe there are only 10-12 different lock patterns for most makes of wheel locks, so if the guy has all those he'll get the wheels.
So maybe put five wheel locks on each wheel (instead of one), each with a different key?

It would be a pain to rotate the tires, but at least you may keep your wheels!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:46 PM
pro-gadgeter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
upper east side? that's what he said. I have no clue what that means. never been there.
Upper east side, is a VERY nice area. haha no need to be scared. you'll prob end up parking in a parking garage anyways since its pretty hard to find parking their. Just make sure you have wheel locks on.

And nyc isn't that bad. I was born and raised here and yes i occasionally do see cars on blocks but def not the way some people are making it sound like. LOLL

IMO, wheel locks can def be broken but most theives dont want to risk it cuz every second counts for them....

Last edited by pro-gadgeter; 03-04-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:11 PM
mw09g37

wheel locks are pretty useless... they're at most just to slow them down.

There is stuff out there in japan is pretty much steal proof... I had these lugs on my previous car that nobody has even heard of and there was nothing you could use that could take it off. Mainly cause it wasn't sold anywhere else than this shop in japan.

no don't buy that crap from america's tire (gorilla lugs or something) those things are absolute crap.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
wheel locks are pretty useless... they're at most just to slow them down.

There is stuff out there in japan is pretty much steal proof... I had these lugs on my previous car that nobody has even heard of and there was nothing you could use that could take it off. Mainly cause it wasn't sold anywhere else than this shop in japan.

no don't buy that crap from america's tire (gorilla lugs or something) those things are absolute crap.
I'm interested in the "stuff" from japan you just mentioned. lol
Old 03-04-2011, 02:50 AM
mw09g37

lol

well i remember 1 set was like 7 sided. lugs

the ones I bought had an interlocking key was part of the chuck or else the lug wouldn't turn.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm...in L.A., i've never seen a car on blocks in the last 21 yrs i've been driving. is NY really that bad?
WTF R u serious? Cars get stolen in LA all the time. Fak the wheels, they will take the whole damn thing. My Neighborhood is one of the most popular neighborhood for cars getting stolen. I have been pulled over, more than once, AS I GET HOME, for stupid cops assuming my car is stolen. Faking hate cops in my city. They any little nice thing is stole, FAKIN HATE COPS!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM
JMacsG37

Originally Posted by kanariya
I'm interested in the "stuff" from japan you just mentioned. lol

Here's a set i bought from Japan:

YouTube - Kyo Ei Dency 2000 Wheel Locks

I tried to defeat the magnetic lock with speaker magnets and other stuff i had laying around n I couldn't do it. Plus the lock underneath is only from that company from japan so they can't just buy a bunch of keys and see if they fit

As long as you don't get locks at local autoparts stores you'll be ok. Get locks cause without them the wheels will be gone in like 5 minutes with locks it'll take much longer. I got one set of these magnetic locks and a full set of another locks, it would take quite some time to get my wheels off without the locks.

N alot use sockets n pound them on the locks, get locks that are recessed in the lug so they can't do that.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:50 AM
dopey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
i believe there are only 10-12 different lock patterns for most makes of wheel locks, so if the guy has all those he'll get the wheels.
Yup. Discount Tire guys lost one of my locks when they did my winter tires. Bought me a new set (well, i bought it and they reimbursed me). The new key and my old key were identical

So now I have a spare key and 3 spare locks

There are also any number of universal wheel lock removers that work to varying degrees. most of them don't add any more than a few seconds to the process. They aren't necessarily cheap but easy to find.

Wheel locks are like door locks. they won't keep any real criminal out, but they prevent casual theft.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by dopey
Wheel locks are like door locks. they won't keep any real criminal out, but they prevent casual theft.
Exactly. The question is who casually steals wheels from cars? It's not like grabbing a candy bar and putting it in your pocket at the convenience store. Anyone who is serious enough to target marketable wheels is serious enough to prepare or is willing to take an extra few seconds to get what they want. Does anyone think there are thieves who are stealing high-end wheels because they just happen to have the same car and liked your wheels better than their own?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best defense is to let the wife parallel park the car. Eventually all 4 wheels will have rash. Thieves won't be interested in your my wheels. Problem solved.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
gee wiz

After watching this vid it really does make you wonder how effective standard wheel locks are at preventing theft?

YouTube - Locking Wheel Nut Remover - DYNOMEC

Quick Reply: How safe are wheel lock lugs?