Dealership put the wrong size tires on rear, is there any legal action I can t

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:13 AM
didimao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership put the wrong size tires on rear, is there any legal action I can t

Picked up a used g37 from a GMC dealership a few months ago. They said they replaced the tires so I trusted that they matched the sizes correctly and never took notice.

I took it for some maintenance at an Infiniti dealership today and the technician said that the other dealership had installed the wrong size tires on the rear which can cause traction issues.

Now, since buying the car, I have noticed slight slippage/loss of traction when I'm driving but I always blamed it on driving aggressively; though knowing this new issue has made me rethink those instances.

Being a potential safety liability, I'm hoping that the dealership will replace the tires free of charge. But if the GMC dealership refuses to provide new tires, are there any legal actions I can take?

*That dealership has had horrible customer service from the day I bought it which is why I'm worrying about whether or not they will act on the issue. Wouldn't have even dealt with them if the car wasn't such a good deal.

Edit: Didn't know there was a character limit in the title haha

Update:
Spoke to the GMC Dealership, they said that "No, we're not going to replace it because we wouldn't make that kind of mistake. We mount tires all the time."

I had Infiniti write up a report and fax it over to them...waiting for the manager to contact me back.

Here's the report:
"Tires installed at Hankook 225/45/19 Front & 245/40/19 Rear. Should be 225/45/19 Front, 245/40/19 Rear...Left front tire is also mounted backwards. Tires are directional. Incorrect tire size will cause vehicle to slip when going around corners. Left front tire needs to be isntaleld properly and rear tires need to be replaced with the correct size for the vehicle"

Granted, I should have noticed the front tire, that was my own bad. I'd like to think you can trust a dealer to properly mount tires.

Side Note: Infiniti Tustin = AWESOME

Last edited by didimao; 01-18-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 AM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What size are the tires in the rear (width)? Do you have the 19's?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 AM
didimao

Yeah 19s, they just stuck the 225 tires all around.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:59 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
225 by...? aren't the rears for the coupes 9 inches? larger tire width provides better traction. i sincerely doubt that, unless significantly smaller, having a thinner rear tire width would sacrifice traction. but first, tell us more...225x#? you can ALWAYS take legal action against a dealership. it's just whether or not you're willing to take the hassle of retaining an attorney. most of the times, even if you mention the words "my attorney," they'll chicken out and agree to swallow the cost.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 AM
didimao

I believe it is 225/45WR19 all around, the car is currently at the Infiniti dealership for maintenance so I will verify this tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 AM
smashhell

Yep, they fitted with the wrong tire size.

If it's 18 inch all four tires are the same size P225/50VR18.

But the 19 inch they are different

with front at:
P225/45WR19

and rear:
P245/40WR19
Old 01-18-2011, 08:12 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smashhell
Yep, they fitted with the wrong tire size.

If it's 18 inch all four tires are the same size P225/50VR18.

But the 19 inch they are different

with front at:
P225/45WR19

and rear:
P245/40WR19
Yeah, if you have a G37 or G37x then you will have 225/50R18 tires. If you have the G37S then you will have 225/45R19 front and 245/40R19 rear.

What size tires do you have front and rear? Do you have the OEM wheels?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 AM
s2ktoEvo

Sounds like you just got an extra set of tires for the front. Replace the rears, hold on to the 225's for the front.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
dont jump to any conclusions just yet. go in and CALMLY go over the situation with the manager. if they absolutely refuse to do anything, then talk with them about the saftey liability they caused and see how they react.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
as long as they pass the state safety inspection they are not liable for anything.

and I'm sure people who threw on 245/40/19 tires on their fronts of their leased G returned it with 245/40/19 fronts and 255/35/19 rears if they did that set up.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:01 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by eksigned
225 by...? aren't the rears for the coupes 9 inches? larger tire width provides better traction. i sincerely doubt that, unless significantly smaller, having a thinner rear tire width would sacrifice traction. but first, tell us more...225x#? you can ALWAYS take legal action against a dealership. it's just whether or not you're willing to take the hassle of retaining an attorney. most of the times, even if you mention the words "my attorney," they'll chicken out and agree to swallow the cost.
I wouldn't advise that. They are more likely they'll clam-up and tell you to talk to their risk management.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

As stated above, if it passed all the safety inspections I don't see what else you can do.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:32 AM
TheIvoryG

Did anything happen to you? Maybe its just me...but Cali has become overly sue happy. You're ready to pull out the attorneys before you even find out if they will replace the tires?

Now if traction had went out, causing you to spin and hit a tree, then you would have a case. But it was caught, see if they will replace, and move on.

If they won't replace...then yes...I would pursue further, but just for the price of another set of rears.

Jumping to lawyer-up before you even have answers just seems a bit strange to me. Just my .02...
Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM
didimao

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
Did anything happen to you? Maybe its just me...but Cali has become overly sue happy. You're ready to pull out the attorneys before you even find out if they will replace the tires?

Now if traction had went out, causing you to spin and hit a tree, then you would have a case. But it was caught, see if they will replace, and move on.

If they won't replace...then yes...I would pursue further, but just for the price of another set of rears.

Jumping to lawyer-up before you even have answers just seems a bit strange to me. Just my .02...
Nah, it's just because I've received really bad service from them in the past. Upon buying the car, the manager had agreed to take care of a few minor defects. I told him I was only available on weekends and he said no problem, he'd get the guy (who normally works weekdays) to come in on a specified weekend. The day comes, I arrive with no manager or service techs to be found. Workers say he wasn't even scheduled to come in that day and there's nothing I could do.

So because of that I'm very weary of how helpful they are going to be. Calling them later today, so just wanted to consult the forums just in case.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
its a used car, you should've got it in writing for those issues or not take the car if it wasn't resolved.

Quick Reply: Dealership put the wrong size tires on rear, is there any legal action I can t