Dealership put the wrong size tires on rear, is there any legal action I can t

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:59 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by s2ktoEvo
Sounds like you just got an extra set of tires for the front. Replace the rears, hold on to the 225's for the front.
+1 on this, just get new rear tires, I doubt the dealership will replace them, especially if they already have $hitty service.

Don't stress over it, they didn't know any better, it's a GMC dealership!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:47 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
and a good thing is that you can keep those tires as a spare for the fronts when they are worn.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm fairly certain that tire fitment is not dangerous to the car's operation. You could go back and ask nicely to have them refit the tires since they obviously screwed up, but I don't think you have any legal recourse unless you can prove that size tire is dangerous.

I had an 07 coupe sport with 19s and i ran 17" 225/50s all around in the winter. Really there is no danger, but the speedometer will be off by a little. Which reminds me, when your speedo says you are going 70mph, you are probably doing more like 67mph.

EDIT

The main reason the VDC is affected is because it is expecting a staggered setup so it might not apply the correct amount of braking to the back tires and not sense slippage properly. I am fairly sure the difference is negligible but it would probably make sense to ask someone who knew about this system. I am just some random guy on a forum.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 PM
didimao

Spoke to the GMC Dealership, they said that "No, we're not going to replace it because we wouldn't make that kind of mistake. We mount tires all the time."

I had Infiniti write up a report and fax it over to them...waiting for the manager to contact me back.

Here's the report:
"Tires installed at Hankook 225/45/19 Front & 245/40/19 Rear. Should be 225/45/19 Front, 245/40/19 Rear...Left front tire is also mounted backwards. Tires are directional. Incorrect tire size will cause vehicle to slip when going around corners. Left front tire needs to be isntaleld properly and rear tires need to be replaced with the correct size for the vehicle"

Granted, I should have noticed the front tire, that was my own bad. I'd like to think you can trust a dealer to properly mount tires.

Side Note: Infiniti Tustin = AWESOME
Old 01-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Mysticalism

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really want to take legal action, this is what I would recommend. First, look over your signing paper make sure that the tires they promised on paper is not the one you got. (you may of made an error in reading over the contract). Then if you feel in any way that the GMC dealership did not deliver what you expected to receive, you can then seek a lawyer to file a complaint against GMC as breach of contract. However, it is a painful process that could take months and may cost way more than if you buy a whole new set of tires. And in the end, you risk of losing the case altogether.

What I would recommend: Ignore that dealership, just another scamlership in your town. I dealt with these types of business before, its more of a trouble for yourself. Buy a new set of tires if you feel it is a safety issue.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Art Vandaley

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
As stated above, if it passed all the safety inspections I don't see what else you can do.
good point..

i would say skip arguing with the dealership manager and call the headquarters... as well as CC all the emails to the all the corporate bosses you can find.

its also a good practice to CC local newspapers and tv channels, just makes more of a point that you are not going to get pushed around and no one wants your story to be picked up for a 2 day special on corrupt used car dealership

good luck with your fight vs the man!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 AM
didimao

Yeah, thanks guys. I honestly don't think I'd take legal action. Like Mysticalism said, it's just not worth my time and money. But I'll be damned if I let them off this easy.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:01 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
As others mentioned- look at your contract. If the tires that were promised were not the tires that were delivered then you would have a case.

In addition this may be a "hard lesson learned" type of scenario. Since the car is used, you really should have inspected the tires or perhaps asked to have a 3rd party inspect the vehicle prior to taking delivery.