New Tires And Rims...Slow Leak Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Tires And Rims...Slow Leak Maybe?

so i have had my new tires and rims on my car for a little over a month now. when i first put the wheels on the car all of them were inflated perfectly but the front left tire. I noticed it was completely flat. so i thought to myself maybe they forgot to fill this tire up and it needs some air. so i did and everything was fine. but over the next couple weeks i am noticing the front left tire is definitely losing air over time. i have filled the tire up 3 or 4 times since i have gotten the wheels. i took the car to a garage and they took the front tire off and could not find and nail or leak in the tire. they think it could be a defective rim. so i called tire rack and they said they will replace anything that needs replacing for free. what should i do? see if the garage fixed my tire on the machine they used or order a new rim? any ideas? thanks..
Old 12-29-2010, 03:07 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
... so i called tire rack and they said they will replace anything that needs replacing for free. what should i do? ..
Safest move would be to have the wheel and tire replaced. TR takes care of its customers. I assume you don't have the TPMS in the new wheels?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

ya i did not get the TPMS installed in the new tires because they were asking for 100 dollars per tire and i was like no way waste of money ha. the garage said to see if what he did works over the next couple days but if Tire Rack is going to replace everything for free. why not just do that right? also, how could a rim be defective this soon? they are a month old
Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

when the checked if there was anything in the tire they sprayed a bunch of stuff on it and it did not bubble at all. then they took the tire off and sprayed the rim on the inside of the tire and the rim started to bubble. does that sound like a defective rim or tire? tire rack said they will send me a new rim. hopefully its not the tire. anyone ever have any problems like this?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti7
when the checked if there was anything in the tire they sprayed a bunch of stuff on it and it did not bubble at all. then they took the tire off and sprayed the rim on the inside of the tire and the rim started to bubble. does that sound like a defective rim or tire? tire rack said they will send me a new rim. hopefully its not the tire. anyone ever have any problems like this?
seems like the rim is not round, it happens occasionally. hopefully the new one resolves this issue.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

ya that could be it... has anyone gone through this before with ordering rims where u had to replace one rim because something was wrong with it or along those lines?...now when they send a new rim out to me it will be the exact same ones i have because they will look at the previous order i had a couple months ago correct?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

so the gas station i brought my car to took the air out of my tire and then checked the rim and filled the tire back up and put it on my car i have noticed my tire is not losing air anymore. its weird because all he really did is check the inside rim with his finger then filled the tire back up. any thoughts? tire rack is sending me a new rim for free. should i put the new one on or leave the old one if everything seems fine?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

anybody have opinion of what could of happened?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Sometimes a bead simply does not seat properly. If the gas station deflated and refilled it, you should check it carefully to see if it has held air pressure. Check it on consecutive days BEFORE you drive. If it loses 2-3 pounds in cold inflation pressure over a 24 hour period, you'll need to try the other wheel.

What kind of wheel/tire combo are you using?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just tell the shop to use bead sealer. Fairly common for a tires bead not to seal perfectly on a rim. bead sealer is like a rubber cement for such application that guarantees a seal.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

so if it is this "bead" problem is that the tire or the rim?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

i am using Enkei Rims with Dunlop sport tires
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

do these beads sit in the tire or the rim? so if the tire was inflated on the rim the first time and some air started to leak then it was deflated and then put back on how would the beads differ and hold the air in better than the previous time? sort of confused how all that works
Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Infiniti7
Registered Member

i mean is it abnormal for the tires to lose a little air in the cold cold weather? the tires are not becoming flat but once in a while i look at them and say to myself they do look a little low. is this normal or is something wrong?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 AM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, tires will lose pressure when it is cold and gain it when hot.

Quick Reply: New Tires And Rims...Slow Leak Maybe?