Stock tires and snow anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Amon_Ra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about all seasons? I didnt want to get winter tires because there isnt that much snow on the ground here in jersey during the winter months and I can always use another car or wait till the roads are plowed
Old 11-30-2010, 09:25 PM
s2ktoEvo

Originally Posted by Amon_Ra
what about all seasons? I didnt want to get winter tires because there isnt that much snow on the ground here in jersey during the winter months and I can always use another car or wait till the roads are plowed
I'm in Jersey also. I just got the continental dws installed today. Not a bad looking tire and get pretty good snow reviews.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
it's more than just snow, the low temp also effect the tire's flexibility/grip. I did, however, always run all-seasons in my fwd Maxima but they weren't the most confidence-inspiring in snow.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM
3BEP6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just pulled the trigger and ordered LM-60s, we'll see how it goes
Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 AM
HP_John

Anyone who can buy a G37 should buy winter tires if they get snow in their city. The stocks suck on snow, why enhance the risk of a accident just to save a tiny bit of money, which winter tires are relative to what a G37 costs
Old 12-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Breitling65

i will drive all seasons this winter in NJ but keep blizzaks on my Jeep just in case g is not for bad weather
Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3BEP6
Thanks for all the reviews. I know its a diiferent driving but I had my maxima with Advan Parada Sports all winter and they were handling better than many All-seasons. I have never got stuck and was driving through storms and everything.. And I know its a front wheel drive lol, just how much difference it makes..
Front wheel drive is a world of differans my friend. my 89 sentra would plow threw anything.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 AM
ViPaDawG

I just put Blizzaks (LM-25) on my G this past weekend, and the high temps have been in the mid 40s, and today was brutal rain, and the car had 0 issues making it to work. Felt a bit more planted compared to my summer set of Potenza RE760s.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
s2ktoEvo

Quite frankly rear wheel vs front is a joke. They drive very differently in different conditions, but it comes down to experience. If you've been driving a rear wheel drive vehicle for a few years and have done a little practice in the snow, you can go anywhere and do just as well as a front wheel vehicles. I've had 3 s2000's, driven through several winters with them, only one had snow tires and the others had all seasons.

Unless you are constantly getting pounded with snow (see great lakes area) winter tires are generally over kill for anything south of Baltimore. Hell, south of NYC. Even with all the crap we had last year here in NJ, the roads in my area were plowed quickly. The snow was gone off the roads in a day or two. I actually felt silly last year for putting snows on my s2k... Though the were fun in an empty unploughed lot or two

So unless you HAVE to be driving in the middle of a blizzard, IE you work for a hospital or the fire dept, or if you go for days without streets getting plowed, or in a rural mountainy road area snow tires are probably overkill. Chances are if it's that bad out, everything will be closed and you should be staying home anyway. The best tires on earth won't save you from "The other guy".

Now if you live in Chicago or Maine or Canada, or just suck at driving... uh in the snow... get the damn snow tires

Last edited by s2ktoEvo; 12-01-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
rks
Registered Member

Originally Posted by s2ktoEvo
Quite frankly rear wheel vs front is a joke. They drive very differently in different conditions, but it comes down to experience. If you've been driving a rear wheel drive vehicle for a few years and have done a little practice in the snow, you can go anywhere and do just as well as a front wheel vehicles. I've had 3 s2000's, driven through several winters with them, only one had snow tires and the others had all seasons.

Unless you are constantly getting pounded with snow (see great lakes area) winter tires are generally over kill for anything south of Baltimore. Hell, south of NYC. Even with all the crap we had last year here in NJ, the roads in my area were plowed quickly. The snow was gone off the roads in a day or two. I actually felt silly last year for putting snows on my s2k... Though the were fun in an empty unploughed lot or two

So unless you HAVE to be driving in the middle of blizzard, IE you work for a hospital or the fire dept, you should be staying home anyway if you think you have to have snow tires!

Now if you live in Chicago or Maine or Canada, or just suck at driving... uh in the snow... get the damn snow tires

We have a 4wd/awd Armada that we use on bad snow days but I also just bought a set of winter wheels/tires for our G37.

My wife does actually work at a hospital and can't really 'skip' work and there are certain days that I can't skip either. Even though we commute together 75% of the time; neither wants to be stranded if we drive separately. We also have two kids and their commitments so we need to have two cars available regardless of weather. To me my family's well-being is worth $1500 and my winter setup doesn't look too silly.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM
s2ktoEvo

Originally Posted by rks
We have a 4wd/awd Armada that we use on bad snow days but I also just bought a set of winter wheels/tires for our G37.

My wife does actually work at a hospital and can't really 'skip' work and there are certain days that I can't skip either. Even though we commute together 75% of the time; neither wants to be stranded if we drive separately. We also have two kids and their commitments so we need to have two cars available regardless of weather. To me my family's well-being is worth $1500 and my winter setup doesn't look too silly.
Yep, your a good example of someone who needs snow tires. I work for a hospital myself and the patients don't go home just because the weather sucks.

But hell, my mother drives a 2003 G35 coupe here in NJ and she went through 2 winters on the summer tires it came with and has been running all seasons since. She's never had a problem with snow in the 7 or 8 years she's had the car. I even offer to pick her up a few times because she used to drive 30 miles home from work during really bad snow storms, all I got was "no thanks, I'm good".
Old 12-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Pip

Originally Posted by shumby
i will recomend michelin pilot alpins or Xi2's and day over the blizzacks. I have had all 3 and the michelins are by far superior.
I've got blizzaks on my G now. They're OK, but they don't come near the Nokians I had on my subie. The Nokians ruled.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
rks
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pip
I've got blizzaks on my G now. They're OK, but they don't come near the Nokians I had on my subie. The Nokians ruled.
Why did you go with the Blizzaks?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 AM
maxfinity

Wow... Thank God I live in sunny South Florida. I'm 24 years old and i still have yet to see snow. Interesting how you guys are saying front wheel drive cars handle better in snow because its the exact opposite for me in rain. My G handles way better on wet roads than my Maxima.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 AM
tliao5

I just bolted on a set of Hankook iPikes on cheapy 17in rims Saturday. The temps in the Chicago area has been around 32 for the last few days and we had a little bit of rain the other night. The car handled well, no surprises.

I'm waiting for us to get nailed with that big snowstorm (every 3rd day like last year) to see how much of a difference the snow tires make.

I still see people in G35 and 37's with summer tires slipping and sliding all over the place here in the midwest. It kind of pisses me off to see people like that put others in danger when storms hit.

Quick Reply: Stock tires and snow anyone?