wheel finish problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
blkmanual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel finish problem

My car has 500 miles on it and it is in a garage. I went to wash it yesterday and noticed black marks on the rims that resembles over spray. After washing the car with just car soap and water I noticed the marks were still there. I took a rag and tried to rub them off and the black got darker and bigger. Seems the finish is coming off my wheel. I looked at my other rims and the other front rim has the same over spray look on it. Any one have any idea what is wrong? Does the finish, which I assume is painted on, come off that easily?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blkmanual
My car has 500 miles on it and it is in a garage. I went to wash it yesterday and noticed black marks on the rims that resembles over spray. After washing the car with just car soap and water I noticed the marks were still there. I took a rag and tried to rub them off and the black got darker and bigger. Seems the finish is coming off my wheel. I looked at my other rims and the other front rim has the same over spray look on it. Any one have any idea what is wrong? Does the finish, which I assume is painted on, come off that easily?
Uh Houston - We have a problem...

I suggest a trip to the dealer & have them looked at. This is not normal!
Good luck
-B
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
blkmanual

yes already made an appointment for Friday and it was treated as a matter of fact by the service writer I spoke to who said to me that needed to look at the rims before they ordered new ones. Said I can wait for them to look and then leave and come back when the new rims were in. Just weird how it really looks like over spray black paint specs on the wheel but in fact the finish coming off. As long as they are replaced I guess I will be fine with it.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post few photos of the wheels... ?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
blkmanual

I will try, I have a few pics on my phone but have no idea how to load them onto the site.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
blkmanual

well just left dealer and got ignored! They said they have never had a problem with the wheel finish so they cant help! I showed that the car had 500 miles on it and it was built in june and I got it in August so it wasnt sitting around so the service manager said he would take pics and send to the rep from Infiniti to see if they were interested in doing anything! (his words) So I guess my first Infiniti will be my last as no other deal has ever treated me this way. In the car business to make customers happy you make their problems your problems and try to resolve them and make them happy not make their propblems stay their problems and leave them with a very bad taste in their mouth!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that is crappy. It seems like the dealer is assuming that you somehow did that to the wheels yourself. how are you washing your wheels and have you used any chemicals to wash them?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 PM
blkmanual

I never use anything but car soap and water and a very very soft towel to dry. I have had over 40 cars so far in my life and all brands and models. I have always used the same stuff and never had any issues. When I picked up the car it had small black marks on the wheels but it was raining and I thought it was dirt or some grease. I got a full look when I went to wash the car a couple days later then the second wash is when the finish was coming right off the wheel. It just sucks that they dont want to try and fix it. So much for Luxury car line! I seriously have been treated better by Honda then by Infiniti! well 35 more payments and they can have their car back and never see me again! Just wrong!
Old 09-13-2010, 02:51 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Contact Infiniti Customer affairs and report the service manager.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:57 PM
NewGMan

Wait until they charge you for damaged wheels when you turn it in.

Definitely contact Infiniti Customer Affairs.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
blkmanual

What is interesting is that if in fact someone sprayed something on the wheel and it went through the paint it would affect the black underneath. Further more it would be all over the rim not just spray areas. Also when i was investigatting the rims closer i noticed a film along the edge of the rim that was like a coating that was gone. Does anyone know if these wheels are clear coated from the factory?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:48 AM
e46fanatic46

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take some high res pictures so we can make any judgement on it
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM
blkmanual

I have pics I forwarded to Infiniti so if any one can tell me how to load them here I will put them up. Thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 05:59 PM
gogetter
Registered Member

The have a BLACK primer and painted with the Hyper Silver paint along with a clear coat over them. Sounds like a defect from the factory paint on the wheel. Infiniti will have to fix this! Definitly go to another dealer (since its under warrenty) or contact customer service on the 800 number.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:18 PM
blkmanual

well I have gotten a call from my local dealer that they have 4 new rims to put on my car! I checked with Infiniti and they are new not off another car which is great. After some phone calls and complaints and PROOF W PICTURES! They changed their attitude and are now bending over backwards to be nice. I am happy to see the change in attitude but would have been nice if it was from day one!

Quick Reply: wheel finish problem