G37 RWD in Winter!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM
G3709876
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
G37 RWD in Winter!!

Planning on getting a G37s Auto and I know I need winter tires. I don't want to purchase new rims so I was wondering if anyone has purchased 19 inch Blizzak LM-60 and put them on the stock 19 inch rims during the winter. If so how do they perform in the snow?

Also, would it be a good idea to purchase winter tires for the rear wheels and leave the OEM tires for the front during the winter?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:49 PM
colburs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Always put snow tires on in sets of four. The OEM tires will be worthless in the snow (not to mention REALLY dangerous)

Are you dead set against a second set of wheels/tires? The 18" LM-60 is $20-$40 cheaper per corner and you can get a pretty good wheel for $125. After a few years of seasonal mounting & dismounting you'll be well ahead with having the second set.

Plus the 18* tire is a better performing snow tire becuase of the taller sidewall.

Also consider the LM-25 in 18" that's another $50/ea cheaper.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:12 PM
G3709876
Registered Member

I am not against buying a second set of rims, just that I don't want to buy rims that I am only going to use in the winter.

What 18 inch wheels do you guys use during the winter and how much did you guys pay for them and where do you guys purchase them from? Will 18's fit the '08 G37s since they come with 19's?

Last edited by G3709876; 09-01-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a set of 18" rims for my winter tires (Blizzak LM-25s in 225/55 R18). Just make sure the 18" wheels you get have the right offset and will clear the brakes.

Don't even think of using the stock tires when the temperature drops below freezing, regardless of whether or not there's snow on the ground.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
colburs

Sport Edition A7 for me. They clear the Sport brakes fine. I got the package at Tirerack.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by G3709876
Planning on getting a G37s Auto and I know I need winter tires. I don't want to purchase new rims so I was wondering if anyone has purchased 19 inch Blizzak LM-60 and put them on the stock 19 inch rims during the winter. If so how do they perform in the snow?

Also, would it be a good idea to purchase winter tires for the rear wheels and leave the OEM tires for the front during the winter?
I did and they are okay. Some steep hills (like my subdivision) were a challenge a few days last winter. There were about half a dozen days last winter where I REALLY missed my AWD. However the sport package looks great and was certainly more fun bombing around the back roads all summer.

Shane D
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 AM
G3709876
Registered Member

Would the rear wheel drive G37s be able to get going if there were a foot or two of snow on the ground, given that winter tires are put on the car?

This is the only problem that I am facing in regards to purchasing the vehicle. Any input especially from those who have first hand experience would be very much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 AM
pcwd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone know the offset on the 18 inch wheel? I'm interested in the Sport Edition A7 as well for my 2009 G37S automatic.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 AM
HP_John

Would the rear wheel drive G37s be able to get going if there were a foot or two of snow on the ground, given that winter tires are put on the car?

This is the only problem that I am facing in regards to purchasing the vehicle. Any input especially from those who have first hand experience would be very much appreciated.
A foot? Maybe, 2 ft, no way in hell. Remember that a G37 coupe is fairly low to the ground, honestly, it isn't a very good car for winter IMO. I owned a IS300 & 3-Series before, G37 wasn't as good as the other 2 in winter. If there was the G37x around 2.5 yrs ago, I would've got it.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Where you driving to in 2ft of snow? lmfao

You can always get a used winter set from someone too, you dont have to buy new. Youll save ALOT of $ that way.

IMO the best winter rims are the 350z anniversary 18s.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 AM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My snow tire set cost me $600 all said and done. This is for a set of brand new tires on my 08 G37S.

This is what I did:

The G37S's stock rear wheels share the same size wheel as the Pontiac G8 (245/40/19). Last winter there was a ton, and I mean a ton, of a threads for people selling blizzak winter tires on the G8 forum as well as eBay. Most all claimed the ride was too harsh and other claiming they wanted something they could use all year round. yadda yadda.

Long story short, I found a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (for the rears) and a set of Blizzak LM-60's for the front. Both sets are 245/40/19 and while I know the S is a stagg setup... I found absolutely zero issues with this setup and the handling through the snow was nothing short of amazing.

If at all possible, I recommend this setup hands down. The Winter Sport M3's are amazing rear wheel pick up tires and the Blizzak's are great handling and stopping tires.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
We bought Blizzaks last fall and they made a big difference, still doesn't turn your G into an Xterra but way better than stack. Go with four, you have to have traction while turning and stopping too. I installed them on the same stock rims I use year round. Didn't want the expense of new rims and TPMS hardware. Yeah, I know I could ignore the light for the winter but one I'm not the "ignore" type of person and my wife drives the car daily so I don't want to be without a functioning TPMS system.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:40 AM
G3709876
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PureNick
My snow tire set cost me $600 all said and done. This is for a set of brand new tires on my 08 G37S.

This is what I did:

The G37S's stock rear wheels share the same size wheel as the Pontiac G8 (245/40/19). Last winter there was a ton, and I mean a ton, of a threads for people selling blizzak winter tires on the G8 forum as well as eBay. Most all claimed the ride was too harsh and other claiming they wanted something they could use all year round. yadda yadda.

Long story short, I found a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (for the rears) and a set of Blizzak LM-60's for the front. Both sets are 245/40/19 and while I know the S is a stagg setup... I found absolutely zero issues with this setup and the handling through the snow was nothing short of amazing.

If at all possible, I recommend this setup hands down. The Winter Sport M3's are amazing rear wheel pick up tires and the Blizzak's are great handling and stopping tires.

Hope this helps!
The staggered setup is primarily for performance purposes right? Damage will not be done to the car if the staggered setup isn't maintained? Would you say the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires are better than teh Blizzak LM-60's for driving in about 6 inches of snow?

My main concern is how much snow will be too much for the G37s even with the winter tires. I have never owned a rear wheel drive nor have I ever used winter tires so I am not sure how much a difference the winter tires will make.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

FORGET IT! You are not going anywhere in a sport model with a foot on the ground. Even an AWD would struggle with 12 inches. RWD and a lower stance will make winter a challenge, not a pleasure, IMO. Even with Blizzaks, which cost me $1,600.00!, with install and taxes (in Canada).
If winter driving is your priority, get a G37X.

Shane D
Old 09-03-2010, 03:44 AM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really couldn't tell a difference in performance. Granted with different tires, you'll tend to break loose a little more but lets be honest... no one's going to be tracking on snow tires.

I live in Northern Chicago and last year was my first real season with the G and I found that my setup was absolutely perfect. It even let you have stable fun when wanting to play around in a lot or so. Now, granted, most people on here don't live in Nova Scotia Canada where you have 70 feet of snow fall a year but if I lived in that area I wouldn't even try to leave the house if the snow was that bad.

All I know is that during the worst storm (which there is always one big snow storm that hits Chicago each year), the G didn't have any issues plowing through the caked roads with close to 8 1/2 inches on the ground.

Quick Reply: G37 RWD in Winter!!