G37 RWD in Winter!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PureNick
Now, granted, most people on here don't live in Nova Scotia Canada where you have 70 feet of snow fall a year but if I lived in that area I wouldn't even try to leave the house if the snow was that bad.

70feet? We have never seen 7ft in a winter.

All I know is that during the worst storm (which there is always one big snow storm that hits Chicago each year), the G didn't have any issues plowing through the caked roads with close to 8 1/2 inches on the ground.
Plowing through eight and a half inches effortlessly is pretty impressive in a sport model! Including hills? Or did you just hear on the radio that eight and a half inches had come down?

Winter is doable with Blizaaks, but there will be some tense moments. Having said that, the last ten years has brought us a LOT less snow so there will be minimal drama except for those steep hills.

Shane D
Old 09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane D
Plowing through eight and a half inches effortlessly is pretty impressive in a sport model! Including hills? Or did you just hear on the radio that eight and a half inches had come down?

Winter is doable with Blizaaks, but there will be some tense moments. Having said that, the last ten years has brought us a LOT less snow so there will be minimal drama except for those steep hills.

Shane D
Not last year dude ...lots of snow in Mid-Atlantic. It reminds me of the old Sam Kinison line, "We have deserts in America, we just don't live in them!"

Don't drive that day when there is that much snow on the ground.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Don't drive that day when there is that much snow on the ground.
Exactly! If I looked out the window and there was eight inches down, and no sign of the plow, I would just have a seat and read the paper.

If you HAVE to be somewhere every morning at a fixed time, get an AWD model or have a back-up.

Shane D
Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 PM
G3709876
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PureNick
I really couldn't tell a difference in performance. Granted with different tires, you'll tend to break loose a little more but lets be honest... no one's going to be tracking on snow tires.

I live in Northern Chicago and last year was my first real season with the G and I found that my setup was absolutely perfect. It even let you have stable fun when wanting to play around in a lot or so. Now, granted, most people on here don't live in Nova Scotia Canada where you have 70 feet of snow fall a year but if I lived in that area I wouldn't even try to leave the house if the snow was that bad.

All I know is that during the worst storm (which there is always one big snow storm that hits Chicago each year), the G didn't have any issues plowing through the caked roads with close to 8 1/2 inches on the ground.
What tires do you have (brand size) and where did you get them?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:43 AM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha yes. Sadly I was stuck literally down the street from my house at a local mall and had to get home. Traffic on a road where people are normally going 55 was down to a crawl around 15-20mph. This was literally a flash blizzard that was a complete white out in less than an hour. It was pretty crazy. No hills Shane D.

I chose this setup based on the fact that this car is a torque-ish RWD sports car.

Front - Blizzak LM-60's 245/40/19 (Great for braking and turning, scored lower on acceleration than I would like)
Rear - Dunlop Winter Sport M3's - 245/40/19 (Great acceleration grip most likely due to the thread design, very good channeling effect which helps dig in to the snow)

I follow a few touring car driver's blogs and they really have some great stuff to say about tires. Many believe a tire is good for either the front or for the rear, never both. Some swear by this for maximum effectiveness and efficiency. After reading in to their suggestions, I found myself believing this method-to-madness more and more. With that said, even my summer tires are geared towards the "best for braking turning/best for power put down" method.

I found my Wintersport M3's off eBay for $300 shipped and my Blizzak's from a G8 forum member who happened to be local to me for $250. Each set was brand new.

Honestly, start your search now and you'll find exactly that you're looking for. If you don't plan on buying snow tires or a second set, use the stock wheels and run 245/40/19 all around. You'll save a **** ton of cash while saving yourself the headache of trying to find snow tires for our wheel size (it's a BITCH).
Old 09-05-2010, 06:44 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've made it through 8 - 10 inches of snow before and I've also been stuck in 5 inches. Outside of getting stuck, the traction control does a great job of keeping you out of the ditch.

For the cost and inconvenience of mounting tires 2x a year I'd go with an 18" tire/wheel package from tire rack.

I'd also recommend real snow tires (with the mountain/snow flake symbol) instead of performance snows. The only Blizzaks in our size are performance snows.

Also, the sport package will now be offered on G37 Coupe AWD.