Enkei rpf1 19" wheel for G37S

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 PM
iwasgointo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enkei rpf1 19" wheel for G37S

Is anyone using this wheel on their G37S? The Enkei RPF1 in the 19" size.

I have a 2009 G37S and I'm interested in getting this wheel for it. The sizes I'm interested in are the 19x8.5 ET 42mm for the front and 19x9.5 ET 42mm for the rear.

I would be mounting the same size tire that is on the Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport Package which is 245/40-19 front and 275/35-19 rear.

I can't seem to get a definitive answer concerning the proper offset that will be sure to clear the larger brakes on the G37S.

So the question is: will the 42mm offset be adequate or do I need to move to the 35 or 22 mm offset?

I'm hoping the ET 42mm will do the job as it is very close to OEM spec and will not cause any clearance issues in the wheel-wells.

The brake clearance issue is the only question to be resolved.

I will not be lowering the car and I don't want to roll the fenders.

Below is a photo of the wheel on a BMW.
Attached Thumbnails Enkei rpf1 19" wheel for G37S-enkei-2.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
IMO, there are better looking wheels for the G, and I'd definitely go with 20's, do you hit the track frequently?

Your wheels will be quite tucked in with the offsets you mentioned, especially with a drop, I'd definitely go lower
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM
iwasgointo

Originally Posted by G37Sam
IMO, there are better looking wheels for the G, and I'd definitely go with 20's, do you hit the track frequently?

Your wheels will be quite tucked in with the offsets you mentioned, especially with a drop, I'd definitely go lower
No I won't be tracking the car, but I do like the idea of this being a very light wheel. My main attraction to the wheel is the spokes are on the inside area of the wheel and the lip is not too large. Many other wheels of this type have lips that are 3" or more.

The spokes on the standard wheel are to the outside of the wheel and I get a lot of wheel rash on them. At least with this Enkei wheel the wheel rash would be confined to the much smaller lip area.

I'd like to keep the 19" size so I won't be making the ride too harsh.

Last edited by iwasgointo; 08-30-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
g35sedan5at

while i respect everyones opinion on wheels for the g,

i say AMEN!!!!!! i thought i was the only one who liked the rpf1's for the G, and not in 20's, thatd kill this particular wheel IMO. when i get them i might even stick with 18's and just go super low offset and wide *** wheels. i like ur idea but i do agree with Sam, you can go lower offset IMO. 9.5 is not super wide in the rear but 42mm is a super high offset, i might even be tempted to say you can go with the 22, but the 35 to be safe i think, nothing wrong with a little tuck.

this thread seriously made my night, another fan of small lips and light wheels!!!

(only diff is these wheels deserve to be tracked at least once, which i will do more than once, you should try a local driving school event, light wheels, good tires, and good brakes will make more diff than HP increase ever will when it comes to handling)
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 PM
j784wrx

another fan of light weight wheels. i'm wondering how much whp can be free'd up by losing some unsprung rotating mass. i'd do the test myself, but i have two more years of college left. i'm already eyeing racing brake rotors and HRE wheels =D don't get me wrong, 20's with a low offset look great. it's not my cup of tea.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 PM
iwasgointo

Originally Posted by j784wrx
another fan of light weight wheels. i'm wondering how much whp can be free'd up by losing some unsprung rotating mass. i'd do the test myself, but i have two more years of college left. i'm already eyeing racing brake rotors and HRE wheels =D don't get me wrong, 20's with a low offset look great. it's not my cup of tea.
One of the reasons I want to go with this wheel is the new tires I will be installing will be heavier than the stock tires. This lighter wheel will pretty much neutralize that increase.

Another reason I like this wheel is that it looks purposeful, that it's not just for show, like it's ready to rumble.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

IMO, unless you're hitting the track, wheels are more of a form than function mod, but that's just my opinion I guess.

If you like the wheels then go for them!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:36 PM
iwasgointo

Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
while i respect everyones opinion on wheels for the g,

i say AMEN!!!!!! i thought i was the only one who liked the rpf1's for the G, and not in 20's, thatd kill this particular wheel IMO. when i get them i might even stick with 18's and just go super low offset and wide *** wheels. i like ur idea but i do agree with Sam, you can go lower offset IMO. 9.5 is not super wide in the rear but 42mm is a super high offset, i might even be tempted to say you can go with the 22, but the 35 to be safe i think, nothing wrong with a little tuck.

this thread seriously made my night, another fan of small lips and light wheels!!!

(only diff is these wheels deserve to be tracked at least once, which i will do more than once, you should try a local driving school event, light wheels, good tires, and good brakes will make more diff than HP increase ever will when it comes to handling)
Are you saying that it is your opinion that I don't need to worry about brake clearance with the 42, 35, or 22 mm offset?

By the way, this wheel is not available in a 20" which is fine with me. In fact, this is the only racing type wheel that I've seen that comes in the 19" size. All the others I've seen are only available in 18" or smaller.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:56 PM
g35sedan5at

Sam, while i like the wheels a lot looks wise i do agree, unless ur tracking the car, wheels are mostly a looks thing for the most part.

iwasgoinginto,

no, thats not what i meant, oops if thats what it sounded like. BTW, afaik, the lower the offset, the more brake clearance youll have because the outer rim is being pushed that much more out(away) from the centerline of the wheel. if youll clear the breaks with the 42, then ull have more clearance with the 35, and even more with the 22. AND 18's with a semi-low offset clear the akebonos so im pretty sure your fine with 19's.

the sole reason i wouldnt go with 19 is tire price. 19's are like the odd man out with tire prices, theyre more expensive than 20's a lot of the time. but they do look sick
Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 PM
iwasgointo

Originally Posted by G37Sam
IMO, unless you're hitting the track, wheels are more of a form than function mod, but that's just my opinion I guess.

If you like the wheels then go for them!
While I wont' be tracking the car, I do a good bit of driving on long twisty roads that are very popular with motorcyclist. I stay mostly in 3rd gear with the revs in the 4 to 6k range. The turns can be quite sharp and that is why I'm going with wider tires and wheels.

The wider tires should reduce the sliding, but not all of it, which is a part of the fun. Anyway, since I'm going with a wider wheel I figure I might as well go with a lighter one.

Besides, I know I won't be encountering any other G's with that wheel in my area which adds to the desirability.

Last edited by iwasgointo; 04-16-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 PM
j784wrx

i think light weight wheels can go a long ways even if you don't track the car. i've done it on my suby and i can't wait to mod the wife's G. the car accelerates/stops better and the car felt lighter on its toe's which brought my confidence in the car up. the changes could be felt during my daily drive and it's more noticeable on canyon runs. i know with the HRE's, you can keep the car looking great and shave some rotating mass.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:26 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the point of buying RPF1s in 20s?

Not only they're heavy, but they're also very pricey compared to their smaller siblings. You can buy a full set of forged wheels with this kind of money.

People who looks into PRF1s are the ones to save weight on the wheel choice. I was once in a market for these in 18s... in 9" front and 10" back, but ended up just getting OEM coupe 19s. Very light and inexpensive option for those of who wants to take the G to the track or just use them as daily drive wheels.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 PM
g35sedan5at

blueslate, not the threadjack but when you were looking into 18x9 and 18x10 what kind of offsets could that fit in the 2nd gen sedan? im looking at the same sizes (maaaybe 18x9.5 in the front, but probably 9") and the problem im having is finding some guidance on offsets for the 18's. 19's are everywhere on here but not many put aftermarket 18's.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:34 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.enkei.com/size_chart/RPF1.pdf

I was looking into getting 18x9 +35 and 18x10 +38 and put some Nitto NT05s on them.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by g35sedan5at
BTW, afaik, the lower the offset, the more brake clearance youll have because the outer rim is being pushed that much more out(away) from the centerline of the wheel.
That is a very big misconception, offset and brake clearance have NOTHING to do with each other, Brake clearance solely depends on the the face/spoke design of the wheel

Quick Reply: Enkei rpf1 19" wheel for G37S