Chipped stock sport rims!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:16 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Chipped stock sport rims!!

I remember reading another thread before about this problem. Basically it seems like water gets trapped behind the centre cap and over time it chipped the paint around the cap. I was wondering if anyone have had this looked at by the dealer and whether it is covered under warranty (it sure should be). The front rims don't have this problem at all!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:12 AM
cjc357

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my rims is really really bad. Is that what the problem is, water behind the cap. I was going to go to my dealer this week. I have been putting it off but I really need to go.

I cant find the other thread, did you find it?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Mayu

Don't have this problem... Got a lot of curb rash though.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Oggie

I've gotten my front ones replaced by dealer under warranty. This rust would likely be coming from the rusty rotors.

Last edited by Oggie; 07-03-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
That to me looks like someone tried to pry the center cap with a screwdriver which resulted in the chips. I've done that exact damage before and had the same results. Not saying you did it.. but maybe your dealership or local repair shop/tire shop did?..

The correct way to remove center caps is to take of the rim and pop off from behind.

Last edited by Xcalibur; 07-03-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Harley'sG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xcalibur
That to me looks like someone tried to pry the center cap with a screwdriver which resulted in the chips. I've done that exact damage before and had the same results. Not saying you did it.. but maybe your dealership or local repair shop/tire shop did?..

The correct way to remove center caps is to take of the rim and pop off from behind.
^^Hard to believe that water could do that. Not sure why someone would try and pry these things off or out from the front. Punch from the other side using a rag (to cushion the tap) and the back end of a scredriver and they come right out.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:43 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cjc357
One of my rims is really really bad. Is that what the problem is, water behind the cap. I was going to go to my dealer this week. I have been putting it off but I really need to go.

I cant find the other thread, did you find it?
If the center part of the rim is the problem then it may well be the same issue! I haven't found the other thread yet. Will post the link if I find it.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 PM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Oggie
I've gotten my front ones replaced by dealer under warranty. This rust would likely be coming from the rusty rotors.
Do you have a picture of the one your replaced under warranty?

Originally Posted by Xcalibur

It does look like someone did try to remove the caps. Maybe thieves! But neither I or any shop every had to try to remove it. There was no need to remove them.

I'm just surprised because only the rear rims are chipped. The front rims are in perfect condition!!

Originally Posted by Harley'sG
^^Hard to believe that water could do that. Not sure why someone would try and pry these things off or out from the front. Punch from the other side using a rag (to cushion the tap) and the back end of a scredriver and they come right out.
Exactly! Could it be thieves trying to remove the cap? It's possible! But why both rear rims?
Old 07-04-2010, 11:38 AM
cjc357

This problem is happening to to many people to say it was possible theft.

Here is my worst rear rim. I probably take the prize, but I bet I have the most miles as well.

I am gonna try to go to the dealer ship this week. Is it possible the rim gets hot there for some reason causing the paint to flake?

All all alloy rims like this, black metal with spray on chrome or alloy color??
Old 07-04-2010, 11:39 AM
cjc357

Also I dont think mine looks like someone tried to remote the caps. There is ZERO damage to the cap. If the cap was attempted to be removed you would see some scrapes or pry marks on the caps.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Frankyg37s

i have the same problem!!! now not nearly as bad as cjc but i have 27k tho ..if someone tried to steal the caps pretty sure they would of gotten them. unless of course u CANT take the off from the front.
im gonna complain to the dealer see what happens
Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cjc357
Also I dont think mine looks like someone tried to remote the caps. There is ZERO damage to the cap. If the cap was attempted to be removed you would see some scrapes or pry marks on the caps.
Yea it's pretty apparent the stock wheel has a primary wear point around the hub, they look like impact points as if a vortex is created while spining that sucks rocks kicked up by the tires into it. Confirmation in my book, I always thought the stock rims sucked.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:50 AM
cjc357

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Yea it's pretty apparent the stock wheel has a primary wear point around the hub, they look like impact points as if a vortex is created while spining that sucks rocks kicked up by the tires into it. Confirmation in my book, I always thought the stock rims sucked.
That seems plausible. Rock impacts make sense. If the dealer feels the same way I think they will say its not a warranty issue.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:36 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a thread a few months ago about someone having the moisture behind the caps causing this problem, too. Not sure what the outcome was.

While I like the look of our stock S rims, the paint is not very durable. I have also seen rims where the paint was peeing off in large chunks, too. They seem to be more susceptible to rock chips than alloy rims I have had on other cars. My wife's CRV has 17,500 miles and there is not one chip on them. Wish I could say the same for my G that has 15,000 miles. I cringe thinking what will happen to them when it is time to get new tires...
Old 07-04-2010, 02:42 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BHB 91
I have also seen rims where the paint was peeing off in large chunks, too.
I have this problem with my RF wheel. While at the dealer for my first freebie oil change I pointed it out and they agreed to refinish it for free. He said it appeared that someone had refinished the wheel previously and didn't do it right.

Quick Reply: Chipped stock sport rims!!