TPMS light off???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:14 PM
SFG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csnpsu
I didnt dump them, my new wheels came with the tires already mounted and I do not feel like paying to have 8 tires mounted and balenced.

So there is no way to turn it off? Maybe i can pull the fuse for the TMPS?
So you bought a 40+ thousand $ vehicle, Spent $$$ on new wheels and did not want to go the last few feet and do a proper install? I just dont get it! However if you do not wish to do it the right way, Here is a cheap fix. Cut a piece of black electrical tape and cover the light. It also works for the "Check engine light" Thats the best i can do for ya.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the fireston "underinflation" was put out to help coverup the fact that firestone had issues with blisters in the GI rubber that caaused seperation. they found that low tire pressure made it worse that combined with the top heavy ford. But firestone did a good job of blaming others. I know alot about this. I got alot of overtime that summer making tires at Michelin when we got the contract for the replacements.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:36 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think you can get 3rd party TPMS systems cheaper than from Infiniti. I only own one set of rims (factory) and switch between summer and winter tires. Some day I might get additional rims so I don't have to deal with tire swaps and balancing twice a year. So it'll be me complaining about TPMS :-)
I live in the north where i need snowtires, and generally mount them on a 2nd set of rims so I can just swap them myself. But TPMS is expensive, and generally a PITA. Got my parent's a second set of rims w/ aftermarket TPMS for the snows on their honda (it should be noted that TPMS basically doubled the cost of the tire+rim purchase), and the TPMS light comes on all the time (and tires are inflated properly). System had to be reset so often they just leave the light on and check air pressure the old fashioned way.

TPMS is a nice feature. I cannot argue against that. It just doesn't work well, and a $10 gauge does. It's not my fault people don't check their tire pressure regularly (or their oil, or their brakes, or their wipers, or etc....)

Now....if TPMS sensors were cheap and/or came for free with a new set of rims/tires, I might feel differently (but I'd probably still kvetch about it)
Old 05-12-2010, 04:17 PM
SFG37S

If you spend the extra cash to have your winter wheels fitted with calibrated TPMS's, You can swap wheels back and forth without tripping the light as many times as you wish as long as you dont turn the ignition on.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by owslystnly
TPMS is a nice feature. I cannot argue against that. It just doesn't work well, and a $10 gauge does. It's not my fault people don't check their tire pressure regularly (or their oil, or their brakes, or their wipers, or etc....)

Now....if TPMS sensors were cheap and/or came for free with a new set of rims/tires, I might feel differently (but I'd probably still kvetch about it)
From my own personal experience I beg to differ. Like most car enthusiasts around here I check my tires regularly and follow up with a visual inspection almost every time I start out.

But one really hot day on a LA freeway a few years ago in my old 2004 G35 coupe (the first year TPMS was offered by Infiniti) the light went on for the first time in two years. I pulled over to look at each tire but saw nothing unusual; they seemed properly inflated. I decided to limp home however at a slower speed and I put my gauge on them when I got there. Sure enough, the left-rear was down to 25psi I added air back to 32 but in a few hours the tire was down again, this time to 22. I took the car to a tire shop the next morning where they discovered that a small nail was causing the problem.

Since this incident it became obvious to me that checking your tires regularly was just not good enough, because a slow leak from a nail on a hot day at 70mph can cause a blowout in a matter of minutes, and only a safety device like TPMS can alert a driver to such under-inflation, potentially preventing a serious accident.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 PM
SFG37S

Originally Posted by Chekov
From my own personal experience I beg to differ. Like most car enthusiasts around here I check my tires regularly and follow up with a visual inspection almost every time I start out.

But one really hot day on a LA freeway a few years ago in my old 2004 G35 coupe (the first year TPMS was offered by Infiniti) the light went on for the first time in two years. I pulled over to look at each tire but saw nothing unusual; they seemed properly inflated. I decided to limp home however at a slower speed and I put my gauge on them when I got there. Sure enough, the left-rear was down to 25psi I added air back to 32 but in a few hours the tire was down again, this time to 22. I took the car to a tire shop the next morning where they discovered that a small nail was causing the problem.

Since this incident it became obvious to me that checking your tires regularly was just not good enough, because a slow leak from a nail on a hot day at 70mph can cause a blowout in a matter of minutes, and only a safety device like TPMS can alert a driver to such under-inflation, potentially preventing a serious accident.
BINGO! The voice of reason prevails.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well I've managed 15 yrs of driving without a blowout.....and no TPMS. Occasionally low tire pressure in one tire and all.

I know I am only one data point. Might have to deal with TPMS light on all winter. I have a tire gauge in the glovebox. It works.

Depends what rims+tires cost me. If sensors are a small % of that purchase, I'll probably get them. If not....I'll take my chances.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:11 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SFG37S
So you bought a 40+ thousand $ vehicle, Spent $$$ on new wheels and did not want to go the last few feet and do a proper install? I just dont get it! However if you do not wish to do it the right way, Here is a cheap fix. Cut a piece of black electrical tape and cover the light. It also works for the "Check engine light" Thats the best i can do for ya.
classic!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 AM
MYROC

I would rather have a oil pressure guage over the TPMS
Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
the fireston "underinflation" was put out to help coverup the fact that firestone had issues with blisters in the GI rubber that caaused seperation. they found that low tire pressure made it worse that combined with the top heavy ford. But firestone did a good job of blaming others. I know alot about this. I got alot of overtime that summer making tires at Michelin when we got the contract for the replacements.
Shumby is right, Thats why all these newer model cars come standard with TPMS, even though I prefer my own air gauge every couple weeks.

My lights on, annoying, but I live with it....
Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
I may be wrong, but at the time I read that the top heavy Ford SUV in question was prone to roll over and Ford’s remedy was to have lower recommended tire pressures to sort of get the center of gravity down rather than redesign the whole vehicle. This underinflation lead to excessive heat buildup resulting in the Firestone tire failures which as you say were already flawed.

IMO that’s where the feds jumped in with a TPMS solution. Underinflation can lead to heat buildup, and under certain driving conditions can result in a blowout. TPMS, albeit not a panacea, can often help in avoiding such incidents.