Overspray on Wheels... WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:06 AM
08g37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamler
NO... Car was NOT Repainted...
CAR HAS ONLY FACTORY PAINT!!! Verified by Dealer CarFax...
Car was Dealer's wife's car... I posted a pic.
you need to be a little more open minded just because the dealer said that ( since when do we trust a dealer?) it was never painted you believe that? oh and carfax dont mean crap
Old 03-20-2010, 12:09 AM
mikelr

Are you sure that the black is overspray???? I cant see by looking at the pic how anyone could replicate that type of pattern by poor masking etc...
Did you ever stop to think it could be the silver worn off the wheel down to the black base (and I do believe that the base to that silver paint is black) from excessive buffing from dealer prep monkey with a wheel ?
I'd bet money that I'm right.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Jamler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW... Amazing negative posts out here... Alright... A little background on me and the tools I used to buy the car... IF there was paint done on this car we would have found it... My cousin is a used car dealer and has a device that reads paint density. It is a digital meter that is placed on the car surface and it tells you (to the micron) the level of paint used. We went all around the vehicle and compared it to a brand new Infiniti G and it MATCHED PERFECTLY. So, lets get that out the way right now... To get paintwork on a car to match factory, you'd have to strip it totally, use the exact primer and exact amount, then use the exact paint and exact amount... That it just too labor intensive.
I also realize CarFax is just what is reported and done ligit, so give me some credit, I'm not that naive. Just pointing out nothing major was reported... Now lets get real...
1) Any Body Shop would be stupid, actually retarded to spray a car with the wheels on it
2) There are no signs of paintwork on the car... Verified with paint density meter.
3) My cousin checked Door jams, Trunk hinges, under carriage, no signs of damage OR replacement. (He buys cars at auction every week, so he knows what to look for)
4) AND FINALLY... These dark spots on the wheel are under the wheel finish... Almost like the Silver finish on the wheel wasn't applied in those areas... There is no indication that these wheels had a layer of clear sprayed on them... (Again, way too labor intensive)

Anyway... I've actually seen this on another G37S, that is why I inquired here...
I know some of y'all are going to think I'm in denial, but I've no reason for that.
Just working on what I know and the facts I have. There are also some scratches on the rear quarter that clearly would NOT be there if the vehicle had paintwork. Anyway,
I'll get to the bottom of it... Thanks for the input folks...

I'm leaning towards over zealous buff monkey like mikelr suggests
OH AND MY BAD FOR EVEN TITLING THIS THREAD AS OVERSPRAY...
I was thinking that it might be a factory issue with the wheels... TBD Folks...

Last edited by Jamler; 03-20-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:29 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
used cars are "SOLD AS EQUIPPED" for a reason.

I had my coupe repainted and my body shop repainted it perfectly to match the paint density on the rest of the car that you couldn't even tell it was repainted.

Worst case, sell the wheels and get a different set.
Old 03-20-2010, 10:15 AM
majin ssj eric

Looks like the silver has been buffed down to the primer...
Old 03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
juicybusa

I think you need to look closer-silver coat missing and black base color is showing-seen it a ton of times on the sport wheel-including mine- dealer initially wanted to refinish but finally agreed to replace wheel with a new one.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:38 PM
IcebergG

Originally Posted by mikelr
Are you sure that the black is overspray???? I cant see by looking at the pic how anyone could replicate that type of pattern by poor masking etc...
Did you ever stop to think it could be the silver worn off the wheel down to the black base (and I do believe that the base to that silver paint is black) from excessive buffing from dealer prep monkey with a wheel ?
I'd bet money that I'm right.
+1

I agree completely, it looks like the silver is worn off and definitely most likely due to someone going ape **** with a buffer. Dealer prep FTMFL
Old 03-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Infiniti93
Banned

Originally Posted by IcebergG
+1

I agree completely, it looks like the silver is worn off and definitely most likely due to someone going ape **** with a buffer. Dealer prep FTMFL
probably... nice smilies btw....
Old 03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
IcebergG

Originally Posted by Infiniti93
probably... nice smilies btw....
Thanks I needed to properly emphasize our "love" for stealer prep
Old 03-20-2010, 06:32 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

I believe the rims are painted with Hypersilver paint which, as others have noted, uses a black base. It looks like the silver was not properly applied at the factory - if it's worn then the clear coat would also be damaged. I believe the dealer needs to make it right.

Hypersilver Paint: Hypersilver is a paint process developed in Europe that uses a metallic paint laid over a black undercoat to produce an extremely deep, shiny finish. Many BMW, Audi and Lexus wheels have been finished in Hypersilver.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:26 PM
fmrlegend
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that I think of it, my wheel/wheels have that overspray look too! But not as obvious. Never thought any thing of it than just a incomplete paint job at the mfg. But I also bought my car brand new at the dealer with approx. 600 miles on it. Even though some might think its not brand new any more, it hasn't given me any problems or grief like some others that I have read on this forum. So no big deal on the wheels dude, especially if you are going to have aftermarket ones on.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Jamler

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
I believe the rims are painted with Hypersilver paint which, as others have noted, uses a black base. It looks like the silver was not properly applied at the factory - if it's worn then the clear coat would also be damaged. I believe the dealer needs to make it right.

Hypersilver Paint: Hypersilver is a paint process developed in Europe that uses a metallic paint laid over a black undercoat to produce an extremely deep, shiny finish. Many BMW, Audi and Lexus wheels have been finished in Hypersilver.

AND THE WINNER IS!!! SkyMG37x... Dude you nailed it... Dealer confirmed!!
My cousin (Car Dealer) told me exactly what you said in this post above. Said its either a factory issue,
or more likely the dealers poor attempt at a refinish if the wheels had some road rash... I brought this to
my dealers attention AND my salesman told me he will "REPLACE" them for me, no issue!

I'm very very good at car detailing... I find stuff 95% of folks don't even
care about, let alone notice, but there was no way anybody who is into
cars would miss this... I'm just glad I got to the bottom of it!!!

Thanks for all the thoughts perspectives on this folks!!!
Now back to the dealer this week for new wheels...
Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Jamler

Originally Posted by Infiniti93
...congrats... i still kinda feel like u got gypped... srry buddy
No need to be sorry... Don't be so cynical man... **** happens.
We verified with Paint Density Meter all around that paint is factory.
So with dealer replacing the bad finished wheels, I'm anything but gypped... LOL
Peace, and think positive dude... Its better for your health
Old 03-20-2010, 09:06 PM
JDM

Originally Posted by ruckus12251985
that doesn't mean anything i have a 2008 with 9k
i have a 2008 with under 6k miles ( i dont drive far)
Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 PM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
wtffffff thats messed up

Quick Reply: Overspray on Wheels... WTF?