Reference: V12's "255/40 & 285/35" Tires on OEM 19" rims - INSTALLED!!! (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 PM
MichiganFan08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reference: V12's "255/40 & 285/35" Tires on OEM 19" rims - INSTALLED!!! (Pics)

FYI...for all those who have had the question on their minds, it can now be answered...Yes!...you CAN fit a 255/285 tire combo on the OEM 19" rims, without rubbing!!
(Note: This install was done WITHOUT any spacers & WITH stock suspension/ride height...and can ONLY be verified with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's, other tire manufacturers fitments may vary - proceed at your own risk!)

Also...I am not looking for any comments or opinions on the outcome of the install...I am quite happy with the results...I am posting this simply for reference by other forum members, to help them with their decision making regarding Replacement tires & tire sizes...that is all...ENJOY!!

Now that we have that little disclaimer out of the way...lol...

So, yeh...I took a leap of faith & it has worked out in my favor!! I was initially hesitant about going with such wide tires, but finally decided to give it a go...cuz after approx 25k miles on the OEM tires, it was definitely time for new rubber (especially with all the rain we've been getting recently!).

When they arrived at my house prior to install...I was like "WOW, those are some really WIDE tires!!", then I got totally excited to have them installed 2days later...anxiously awaiting the results of my leap-of-faith...LOL!!!

After 4-5 hours of Mounting, Balancing, and the all important Alignment...the shop called and told me the car was ready for my inspection & pick-up...they reported they did not experience any problems whatsoever while performing the install!! When I first saw it upon returning to the shop, I was impressed by how much better it looked with the wider rubber at all 4 corners, but the car was totally dirty from the last rainstorm...so it wasn't until a day later, that I was able to polish it up & get the full effect of my daring project. Upon completing a nice wash & shine session...I took another hard look at the outcome of the install (from every angle possible) & final verdict upon a full-blown test-drive??......PERFECT!!!!...WAY BETTER THAN EXPECTED!!!!!...ABSOLUTELY, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

So, without further ado...for all those wondering minds out there...may I present you with some pics of the 255/285 variety:

G37 Tire Upgrade pictures by MichiganFan08 - Photobucket

...if anyone would like to see any additional pics of the install, please let me know & provide info of what angle & degree of zoom you would like taken for reference...Thanks!

ENJOY the Pics!!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Greg Lecewicz

So how much wider are they in real life than the stock tires?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 AM
MichiganFan08

Originally Posted by Greg Lecewicz
So how much wider are they in real life than the stock tires?
Visually??...significantly wider! By measurement??...Front: 1 to 1.5 inches, Rear 1.5 to 2inches wider than stock, but same overall diameter.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Hamed87

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any pictures to show the width of the tires? That's a flush look, fits perfectly from the pictures I saw. No issues so far?

Last edited by Hamed87; 02-13-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Love to see some pics from behind to get an idea of the new width.
It looks like you have a lot more tire between rim and road? Is that right? I wish I had a bit more cushioning between my rims and the road.
I would be nervous about going as wide as you have gone, but I love the idea of getting more height/thickness with the tires.

Shane D
Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 PM
MichiganFan08

Originally Posted by Hamed87
Do you have any pictures to show the width of the tires? That's a flush look, fits perfectly from what the pictures I saw. No issues so far?
I have uploaded some more pics, please click on the link again to view. Also...No, I have driven 1000mi on them (with the car fully loaded) & have had no issues whatsoever, not even a slight hint of rubbing...rides very smooth compared to the OEM tires.

Originally Posted by Shane D
Love to see some pics from behind to get an idea of the new width.
It looks like you have a lot more tire between rim and road? Is that right? I wish I had a bit more cushioning between my rims and the road.
I would be nervous about going as wide as you have gone, but I love the idea of getting more height/thickness with the tires.

Shane D
Again, please check back at link, more pics uploaded...if not the angle of shots you'd like, please be more specific & I will take more pics after weather clears up again. Also...No, stock overall diameter has been retained/matched, so the distance from rim-to-road is the same as OEM tires, the contact patch is just wider...however, the sidewalls on the new tires are softer, so they give a better "cushioning"-effect than the OEM, making for a more comfortable ride over bumps!! Once again, 1000+ miles have passed on the new tires, and I have had no adverse issues with them at all! Hope this helps answer your questions.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
HERE!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Gazan37
Banned

love the wider look but I think I prefer the slightly stretched look of the OEM tires. HMM....
Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Too much sidewall buldge on the rear
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM
GatorLexus

255/285 looks great! Are those the stock mud flap option on the front and back? No rubs or any down side you see so far? Notice any change in gas mileage?
Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM
MichiganFan08

Originally Posted by GatorLexus
255/285 looks great! Are those the stock mud flap option on the front and back? No rubs or any down side you see so far? Notice any change in gas mileage?
Yes...stock mud flaps/spats both front & back...and No, no rubbing & no downside yet...fuel economy appears to remain the same...car performs great with them on!!! To me?...it looks just perfect (my car, my opinion), it's exactly what I had hoped for and the look I wanted. To each, their own...right??
Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good

but 285 on a 9 width wheel is really pushing it.

how does it feel when taking sharp turns?
Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Looks good!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Jamler

Talking

Originally Posted by MichiganFan08
FYI...for all those who have had the question on their minds, it can now be answered...Yes!...you CAN fit a 255/285 tire combo on the OEM 19" rims, without rubbing!!
(Note: This install was done WITHOUT any spacers & WITH stock suspension/ride height...and can ONLY be verified with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's, other tire manufacturers fitments may vary - proceed at your own risk!)
PERFECT!!!!...WAY BETTER THAN EXPECTED!!!!!...ABSOLUTELY, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

So, without further ado...for all those wondering minds out there...may I present you with some pics of the 255/285 variety:

G37 Tire Upgrade pictures by MichiganFan08 - Photobucket

ENJOY the Pics!!!!
TOTALLY LOVE THIS CONFIRMING POST... Hankook Ventus tires are out and out the best bang for your $... Well made with excellent performance too! I'm stoked to know I can go the Ventus V12 Evo route when time comes!

Where did you buy the tires? Just wondering on cost......

THANKS KINDLY FOR POSTING DETAILS

Last edited by Jamler; 03-15-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM
oreoleo

If I go with 35 in the front and 30 in the back, same width, would they bulge less? The tire calc said it would still stick out 20mm each side even with less profile tires. Is that right?

Quick Reply: Reference: V12's "255/40 & 285/35" Tires on OEM 19" rims - INSTALLED!!! (Pics)