Dang! Aggressive offset destroyed bumper bracket, anyone else deal w/ this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 PM
LightningG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang! Aggressive offset destroyed bumper bracket, anyone else deal w/ this?

This is the bracket that holds up the rear bumper cover to the upper sheet metal. Forged shaved it down for me on the install but it still rubbed and finally went. Anyone else deal with this? Can anyone think of a simple solution or am I gonna have to take this thing in to a body shop? (BTW, I'd really love a solution where I could get rid of the bracket all together so I don't have to rub any more).
Here's the best I could do on pics:

Last edited by LightningG37; 01-18-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
BocaIvan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st resize the pics.

2nd I think ppl relocate that bracket.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM
SteveG37

This this break because of shaving it down? I think you may have to go to a body shop to get that repaired, they can probably make something custom that won't rub with the tires and still do it's job.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
LightningG37

Originally Posted by BocaIvan
1st resize the pics.

Originally Posted by SteveG37
This this break because of shaving it down? I think you may have to go to a body shop to get that repaired, they can probably make something custom that won't rub with the tires and still do it's job.
It was shaved down but that's not why it broke, it broke b/c the tire hits it with any significant bump in the road.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine is pretty much the same way. I wonder if you could use an epoxy or something on the inside edges of each piece.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM
LightningG37

Originally Posted by BocaIvan
1st resize the pics.

1st Scr3w U!

2nd..jk, resized
Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's why I havent trimmed mine yet.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 PM
LightningG37

Originally Posted by Kidcane
Mine is pretty much the same way. I wonder if you could use an epoxy or something on the inside edges of each piece.
There actually seems to be another attachment point not too far down the seam. I was worried when it did go that the bumper would sag but at this point it seems the corner just pulls out at speed. I was wondering if I could rough it up on the inside and lay a couple layers of fiberglass and resin down but I only have limited experience with bodywork and such.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 AM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know Stoof got rid of his bumper bracket.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM
LightningG37

Originally Posted by The Jewbag
I know Stoof got rid of his bumper bracket.
Someone tell Stoof to get in here then!
On a plus side, I just realized that I don't have a rub anymore which is great. Does anyone know if there is some kind of epoxy putty that I could flatten over the inside seam that would bond to the sheet metal and plastic (or whatever the bumper cover is made of)?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How "aggressive" was your offset?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:59 AM
LightningG37

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
How "aggressive" was your offset?
Mine are 22 in the rear 26 in the front (offset). This was one of the early ones Sharif did on the g37s and I think he was playing mad scientist on seeing how much he could go without hitting the fender. He was right and they tucked in but that bracket was a little too much though and I had rubbing over rough stuff. Funny thing is that since the tires "uninstalled" the bracket, its been a whole lot nicer...no worries I haven't even done anything about the missing brackets and I'm not having any bumper hang issues or anything.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LightningG37
Mine are 22 in the rear 26 in the front (offset). This was one of the early ones Sharif did on the g37s and I think he was playing mad scientist on seeing how much he could go without hitting the fender. He was right and they tucked in but that bracket was a little too much though and I had rubbing over rough stuff. Funny thing is that since the tires "uninstalled" the bracket, its been a whole lot nicer...no worries I haven't even done anything about the missing brackets and I'm not having any bumper hang issues or anything.
that's a pretty aggressive setup you're running without stretching your tires. good job! what's your camber set at in your rears?

i recently shaved off my bumper brackets and it rubs alot less. you can try using 3m double sided tape to hold the bumper to the quarter panel together. that's what i did and it's holding up good. give that a try!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
LightningG37

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
that's a pretty aggressive setup you're running without stretching your tires. good job! what's your camber set at in your rears?

i recently shaved off my bumper brackets and it rubs alot less. you can try using 3m double sided tape to hold the bumper to the quarter panel together. that's what i did and it's holding up good. give that a try!
I actually have never had it aligned and the camber arms are stock so I'm not really sure what the camber is...
I am gonna try some kind of tape...I have some of that sticky metal-sided sound deadening stuff that I was thinking of trying.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:58 PM
LightningG37

In case this helps anyone, here is what I ended up doing:
1: Grind/cut the remains of the braket off
2. De-burr, paint sheet metal
3. There is enough material left behind the original bolt bracket position the sink a good sheet metal screw through the bottom and up into the sheet metal: pre-drill and sink screw.

Here is a pic, panel alignment is now perfect and no rubbing:

Quick Reply: Dang! Aggressive offset destroyed bumper bracket, anyone else deal w/ this?