Another G37S Winter tire thread - Something besides Blizzak LM60's PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Reiki_Rocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another G37S Winter tire thread - Something besides Blizzak LM60's PLEASE!

Just bought a '08 G37S coupe about three weeks ago and there's no way I'll be running the Yoko s Drives for the winter. Since it's an "S" the stock tires are staggered 225/45-19 Frts, and 245/40 -19 Rear

I know some of you have already read some of my rants and gripes about the LM60's and I need some help. I've searched and read a ton of threads on here and g35nyc about the best set up to go with., and am now about ready to go out of my mind on what to do next. I'm happy with the set of 18x8 MB Weapons from discountiredirect, now I'm just having a hell of a time findin the right tires...

I decided on the 225/50 -18's all the way around that most people seem to recommend. Dealer set me up with 4 new Blizzak LM60's, but I absolutely HATE them.

I've read a lot of good stuff about the LM22's and 25's, but it seems the new LM60's run a softer compound and sidewall for increased ice & snow traction - but waaay too soft in my opinion. 1st time I drove on them I thought they forgot to inflate my rear tires enough! They felt like sponges! Also, running the same size rim/tire & offset on the front and rear of the car makes the car look a little goofy since the fronts now stick further out than the rears. I think the slightly narrower rear stance is also affecting the handling.

Ok - so I accept my G is basically going to suck in the snow; and it's just a matter of how bad. I'm used to taking a performance hit going from a summer 225/40-18 Nitto NT555 to 205/60/16 General snows every year on my last car, but have never experienced anything close to this.

So here's the deal I need help with:

I have a chance to swap the tires (brands & size) one time at the tire place, and DTD is willing to swap out two of the 18x8 rims to 18x9's - so I've got one more chance to get this right. Tire size and availability is probably going to be a bit limited this late in the season, but here's what I'm thinking.

I need a tire that's a bit stiffer than the LM60 (if you haven't driven on the LM60 - please don't try to compare it and tell me about the LM25's). I am a very "enthusiastic" driver and the LM60 is just way too mushy for me.

I'm considering: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3, the Conti ExtremeContact DWS, Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, Eagle Ultra Grip GW3, Yoko W Drives, or any other strong recomendations. Keep in mind, I'm leaning towards improved performance on dry/wet roads over pure Ice & Snow performance (afterall - how much does it really snow up here in New England anyways?), but want something better than an AllSeason tire since I have my S Drive for the nice weather.

So here are my options as I see them:

A. Stick with a different set 225/50's all around and keep the 18x8 rims.(seems like the 225's may be the most limited availablity now) Then widen the rear stance issue with 15mm spacers.

The 225's should get the best snow traction since they won't "float" a much as a 235 or 245.

B. Go with 235/50's all around with the 18x8's and the 15mm spacers in the rear. Or go with the 18x9 rims in the rear in place of the 15mm spacers. (235's can run safely on both a 8 or 9" rim)

C. Run a 225/50 front (or 235) on 18x8's up front, and 245/45 stagger on 18x9's in the rear? No spacers needed

D. 245/45's all the way around with the spacers out back. (the
245's seem to have the most availability right now)

I would think that the biggest advantage of having the same size tire all the way around is that I can rotate them. Cheap and easy to replace if I take one out with a curb.

Biggest advantage of running the stagger set up is that it will most closly match the factory set up, alignment should be the same from summer to winter tires, and I'll give up the least handling - at the expense of snow traction due to the wider foot print of the wider tires, and not being able to rotate

Thoughts please. Help!

Last edited by Reiki_Rocket; 01-21-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear you didn't like the LM-60's so far on my car I have no complains at all and have driven them in the snow and dry.

I went with the LM-60 to keep cost down and I like the fact they came in the recommended size. But I was very interested in the Dunlops M3's before going this route in a 245-45-18's which should fit.

If I find down the road my feeling for this tire change next time I need new winter tires I will try the Dunlop's.

Last edited by gugarci; 01-05-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: wrote 235-45-18, should of been 245
Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
SkylineEX-S

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
One of the first things I bought for the car was a set of winter wheels and tires sice I was going to be driving it year round. I actually bought from TireRack choosing their ASA7's in 18x8 with Dunlop DS-3's in 225/50.
Other than slightly fishing the tail out the first time I took them out (I forgot I was on 225wide snows) I've been very happy with them. Very quiet and with the one good snowfall that we've got in Toronto so far I've been pleased with the traction.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 AM
KLB

I have the Yoko W*Drives and I am loving them. They've performed well in the snow we've had, although it has only been up to around 5 inches. I drive on a lot of county roads, which never get cleaned well. They have also performed well on the packed snow/ice that comes after.

Dry performance has been good. I had one case of slippage taking off around a corner on a dry road. They are a bit soft if you try to corner hard(I was pushing them around a cloverleaf when I first for them). Otherwise they have been great.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Only other option we have is the Dunlop Graspic DS-3 in 225/50-18 all around. Could make a wheel/tire package, but not a lot left over this time of year.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM
gthal

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack
Only other option we have is the Dunlop Graspic DS-3 in 225/50-18 all around. Could make a wheel/tire package, but not a lot left over this time of year.
Wouldn't the DS-3 be even softer than the LM-60s? The LM-60 is considered a performance winter but the DS-3 are true winters I thought? Seems like the OP would be even more unhappy with the DS-3 if he is less concerned with snow/ice traction and more concerned with performance?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Reiki_Rocket

Originally Posted by gthal
Wouldn't the DS-3 be even softer than the LM-60s? The LM-60 is considered a performance winter but the DS-3 are true winters I thought? Seems like the OP would be even more unhappy with the DS-3 if he is less concerned with snow/ice traction and more concerned with performance?

Correcto - that is my understanding as well. If anything I'm considering the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D; with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 or PA2 af my first pick. Like I said, size and availability are going to be my gigggest challenge this late in the season. I'm also really considering giving up the ability to rotate the tires to go with a staggered set up to get closer to the factory set up on the sport if I can't find a matching set of 4 tires the same size.

Haven't heard much about the Good Year Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 - but haven't really had much luck with GY products in the past. The Yoko W Drives seem to be hard to find, but if they're a cold weather version of the the S Drives I have, I'd love 'em. I thought I read/heard somewhere that they're relatively soft & mushy too though.

I've got to say the LM60's have gotten better now that I've driven a couple of hundred miles on them and gotten most/all of the mold release, or whatever it was, out of the sipes and it's gotten really cold. I think they'd proably even be bearable with a 245/45/18 out back on the rears, or stick with the 225's on the 8x18s's with 15mm spacer in the rear.

The LM60's are probably a great tire for someone who does a lot of regular driving in snowy conditions - but not for someone who still wants decent handling performance on the all those clear days in between, especially in a place like CT.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:41 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a lot of people are having issues with these tires but only in the 18 inch version. I am running them on my sport 19's and they seem to handle fine; not sure if running lm-60's on the 19's is an option for you
Old 01-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Reiki_Rocket

Originally Posted by KLB
I have the Yoko W*Drives and I am loving them. They've performed well in the snow we've had, although it has only been up to around 5 inches. I drive on a lot of county roads, which never get cleaned well. They have also performed well on the packed snow/ice that comes after.

Dry performance has been good. I had one case of slippage taking off around a corner on a dry road. They are a bit soft if you try to corner hard(I was pushing them around a cloverleaf when I first for them). Otherwise they have been great.

What size W Drives are you running? I love my S Drives as my warm weather tires, so the W drives are a contender as a replacement. I see that they're available both as a 245/45/18 or a 225/50/18.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 PM
4DOORFUN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm running the MB Weapons with Hankook Ice Bear tires. 18x8 and 245/45 on all four. The tires have been excellent for what they are - a winter sport tire. I've been driving on everything winter can bring and have been happy. The dry handling is not like it is with the summer tires, but that's to be expected. The sidewall is clearly softer with a winter tire and the tread blocks are softer. We are supposed to get a big snow tonight and tomorrow here in Chicago.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by Reiki_Rocket
What size W Drives are you running? I love my S Drives as my warm weather tires, so the W drives are a contender as a replacement. I see that they're available both as a 245/45/18 or a 225/50/18.
I have the stock 17"s, 225/55. I imagine the larger tires would be better on the cornering.

I am thinking about the S drives when spring comes. Are they good in wet conditions?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3;

I had theses on my 08 G37S. Loved them they were great. I am running the LM 22's rigt now and will be getting rid of them after this winter. thwe PA3's rock. My wife even notices the considerable differance. 235/50 18 all te way around was a good ballance between narrow for cutting through hesnow and not too narrow to look toall stupid on the car.

Last edited by shumby; 01-07-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Reiki_Rocket

Originally Posted by KLB
I have the stock 17"s, 225/55. I imagine the larger tires would be better on the cornering.

I am thinking about the S drives when spring comes. Are they good in wet conditions?
I only got to drive the S Drives for 700 mi's/ 3 weeks before switching to the the Blizzaks. They stuck like glue even before they were broken in, and were great in the rain, even in 40 degree weather. I'll be interested to see what the treadwear will be like once they go back on after the winter.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM
KLB

Originally Posted by Reiki_Rocket
I only got to drive the S Drives for 700 mi's/ 3 weeks before switching to the the Blizzaks. They stuck like glue even before they were broken in, and were great in the rain, even in 40 degree weather. I'll be interested to see what the treadwear will be like once they go back on after the winter.
Thanks. That is good to know. I'll definitely look at them in a few months. I've seen some others around here that had good things to say about them too.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Reiki_Rocket

Well - looks like I'm really limited on availability of decent 225/50 or 245/45 winter sport tires at this point seeing that it's the 2nd week of January already . No W Drives available, no PA3's available, Wintersport 3d's are about $200 more for the set.

The tire place found a set of PA2's for about $80's more to swap from the LM60's (though I'd be worried about not being able to find a match in case I ruin one since they're discontinued), or a set of Hankook Icebears as an even swap. Leaning towards the Icebears (same set up as 4DOORFUN's) for my 6mt S coupe.

Seen a ton of good stuff on Alpin PA3's, but not much on PA2's. Icebears or PA2's folks?

Quick Reply: Another G37S Winter tire thread - Something besides Blizzak LM60's PLEASE!