QUESTION: Those who have had Wheels stolen

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
erock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post QUESTION: Those who have had Wheels stolen

Can anyone tell me what their experience was like dealing with their insurance co.?

My car has been on blocks for 4 days now. Wheels stolen on Tuesday morning, adjustor just saw the car yesterday (Thursday) and stated we won't know anything till the middle of next week.

Is it safe for my car to be on blocks till then? My wife will call him again later today, but, since he saw it yesterday shouldn't it get towed to the bodyshop/dealership by now?

My question is, what is the average turn around time to A) get my car off of the blocks B) get the settlement.

Also, how do they tow a car w/ no wheels? How do they get it on the flatbed?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Don't know about your insurance situation, but why are you leaving it on blocks??? Go buy 2 sets of inexpensive jack stands and set it down securely on those. One problem solved.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends entirely on your insurance company. Some are much better than others.

Go to walmart and buy a set of 4 jack stands to keep your car on. Get rid of those blocks.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 PM
kieranlavin

Another option is to go out and buy wheels yourself and then get reimbursed by the insurance company. The dealer, aftermarket, or e-bay... you might just end up with your own wheels
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM
erock

Well here's the thing with that, I do not want to be a liable for any damages if I try replacing the blocks w/ stands and god forbid something happens. I don't feel safe attempting anything like that, yes, it's probably a very very simple, but w/ my luck w/ this car, I am not touching it.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You feel safer with it on blocks?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
erock

Just in case your wondering about my paranoia:

Since I've owned my G37S's I've had:
- 2 break ins
- first G totaled by drunk driver
- now wheels stolen

LOL..... that's all I can do...... LOL
Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
erock

No, not really... I just figured they would have had it towed by now. I may just go ahead and put it on stands tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:56 PM
kieranlavin

you need to do something because, if it falls off the blocks or more damage is caused, there's NO WAY the insurance company is going to just agree to pick up the tab. They're there to pick up the tab for the stolen wheels and any damage they saw. Further, if it falls off the jackstands and damages a car next to it, for example, YOU will be responsible. And, God forbid, it causes bodily injury to someone possibly walking by your car. At least get it on jackstands. Even if you don't touch the blocks and just get jacks under and up tight or close to the frame
Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 PM
erock

Originally Posted by kieranlavin
you need to do something because, if it falls off the blocks or more damage is caused, there's NO WAY the insurance company is going to just agree to pick up the tab. They're there to pick up the tab for the stolen wheels and any damage they saw. Further, if it falls off the jackstands and damages a car next to it, for example, YOU will be responsible. And, God forbid, it causes bodily injury to someone possibly walking by your car. At least get it on jackstands. Even if you don't touch the blocks and just get jacks under and up tight or close to the frame

You guys are absolutely right, I'll get some stands today. Honestly I thought it would have/ should have been towed by now.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by erock
You guys are absolutely right, I'll get some stands today. Honestly I thought it would have/ should have been towed by now.
Do not let anyone try to tow your car. The only way to tow a car without wheel is drop it on the ground and drag the thing. Almost guarantteed to total the car if they attempt it.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 PM
BocaIvan

This happened to me once. They dragged my SUV on plywood.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM
erock

Originally Posted by BocaIvan
This happened to me once. They dragged my SUV on plywood.
Ahh, kinda makes sense. Was it resting on the discs/rotors? Was there any damage with all that weight being supported?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:03 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
this is what my dealership does: we bring 4 spares over right to your house and just drive the car right to the dealership.

insurance companies usually come right to our dealership to have it evaluated.

when i Had mine stolen Geico came right to my house the next day, and sent me a check to have it replaced.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:10 PM
gooddeal

I think if you just go w/ the body shop from your insurance, you should be o.k. Let the body comes to get your car w/ their spare wheels and then they can order the wheels for you.

Quick Reply: QUESTION: Those who have had Wheels stolen