Winter set-up idea, need inputs

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter set-up idea, need inputs

First, I have a g37s and my original plan was to buy the 18inch winter package from tirerack and then sell my 19inch rims. I would then buy some nice new wheels for summer.

But what I want to do now is to buy the 19 inch blizzacks for my stock rims and use them as winter rims instead.(TPMS in already installed and look much better than the 18" wheels) Then I will just start saving now for my summer set up.

Couple questions:

1. There have been some pretty bad reviews for the blizzacks lm-60's but they are the only ones available for the g37s. Any input?

2. Will there be a decrease in snow performance if I chose to stick with my 19's instead of getting an 18" wheel. I heard the width is whats important to cut through snow not the height.

3. Anyone know how the tread life of blizzacks? I know they dont last too long but just curious.

The lm-60's are back ordered until 12/11 anyway so I have some time to decide. thanks guys!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 PM
beerme986

Also, when I put the winter tires on I planned on having them remove my TPMS sensors so I can save them for my summer set up. From what I understand as long as they are the same stock sensors, I can put them on my new rims without having them reprogrammed correct?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Really haven't had any complaints on the LM60 thus far. They are new so this season will give us a good idea as to how they will perform long term. You'll have a bit better handling out of the 19's, more ride and protection for the wheel in 18". Personally I doubt you'll see a big diff in performance between them as winter isn't really the aggressive driving time of year.

Typically tread life is 15-20K and with alt sizes f/r I'd just expect 15k. I'd put them on backorder sooner than later as this is sort of a niche size and once stock is spoken for its gone.

No need to reprogram if using the oe sensors as long as replacements are not also programmed in for the winter.

Call or mention me online if ordering.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 PM
beerme986

thanks neal! i actually tried giving you a call couple days ago but no answer so I made this thread. I was trying to get these tires in time for the northeast snow tomorrow but I am too late

I will give you a shout when I am read to order though.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 PM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having my LM-60's mounted on my 19' sport wheels next week. As soon as I get a chance to give them a little workout, I'll post a review of my thoughts.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack
Really haven't had any complaints on the LM60 thus far. They are new so this season will give us a good idea as to how they will perform long term. You'll have a bit better handling out of the 19's, more ride and protection for the wheel in 18".
No need to reprogram if using the oe sensors as long as replacements are not also programmed in for the winter.

Call or mention me online if ordering.
What if you have some LM-22's sitting around? Tire Rack has a winter set recommendations with 18 x 8 wheels. Would these fit R4518 245's?
I bought blizzaks earlier this year for my M35X and was wondering if I could use those, with cheap rims, on a new G37s vert?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I just got my LM-60's mounted about 30 mins ago. I was thinking of buying the Dunlop M3's but the LM-60's were less expensive and I did not have to buy them in an alternate size.

I have also read some reviews with people complaining about a squishy ride but as long as they perform well in the snow that's all I care. I have no plans to drive any winter tire very aggressively. Also tires need to be broken in first before they perform at their peak level. Maybe some of the people complaining were using green tires. If the LM-60's don't meet my expectation I'll try another tire next time. No biggie.

Also I got to admit I'm a little nervous/excited about driving in the snow. All my previous cars were FWD & AWD. This is the first RWD car I've driven since I got my license in 1980. That car was a 1976 Buick Skylark and I'm pretty sure it was not as powerful as my current G.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by gugarci

I have also read some reviews with people complaining about a squishy ride but as long as they perform well in the snow that's all I care. I have no plans to drive any winter tire very aggressively. Also tires need to be broken in first before they perform at their peak level.

I have been using blizzaks for about 12 years. They suck at first because the outer layer is so soft. But they are AWESOME in the snow. After the soft part wears down, it becomes just a regular all season tire.

Also I got to admit I'm a little nervous/excited about driving in the snow. All my previous cars were FWD & AWD. This is the first RWD car I've driven since I got my license in 1980. That car was a 1976 Buick Skylark and I'm pretty sure it was not as powerful as my current G.
It is amazing how fast we all get spoiled with AWD. I have been doing AWD AND Blizzaks for the past 4 years. Talk about overkill! Except for about 6 days a winter.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 PM
beerme986

Just a little review for the stock summer tire in snow. I had to drive through the Northeast snow today and I must say it was not all that bad but that was probably due to the salt trucks doing their job.

I didnt go through any real snow, mainly slush but no real big issues. Not that I would recommend driving summers through winter but its not the end of the world.*knock on wood*
Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Is it safe to use the stock potenzas in near freezing temperatures (30-40F)?
I obviously won't drive through snow, but I don't want to have to buy snow tires just to use my car in the cold. Wondering if its safe to drive on plowed streets during winter.

Seems like Beerme was able to, any one else have experience?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
beerme986

Summer tires start to get rock hard in freezing temps so its not the safest thing to do. One reason snow tires are beneficial is that they stay soft in 20 degrees where summer tires turn to rock.

I am in PA and in the same boat as you; on the fence about getting snow tires. I think you could survive the winter on stock summers (assuming your not driving through any blizzards) They clean up the roads pretty quick and I figure if a REAL blizzard is coming, I will take my car into service and get a loaner g35x
Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Around 32 degrees summer tires start to become hard like plastic. Here's the Tire Rack's winter tire FAQ and bunch of other articles concerning winter tires. Doesn't take much for a summer tire to loose it's grip in freezing temperatures.
Winter Tech - Winter Tire FAQs
Winter / Snow Tire Testing at The Tire Rack
Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 AM
redwing780

General Altimax Arctic

I put these on my 09 G37xS sedan a few weeks ago, so I have had a chance to try them on cold, dry roads as well as snow and ice (we just had a blizzard dump 20 cm of snow on us with temps falling to -10 C). These tires are quiet, absorb road imperfections very well and yet are not "squishy". In recent years, I have had Hakka Q's (Accord 4 cyl.) and Hankook Winter iPike 409's (Accord V-6). The Generals are not as squishy as either of the other two, but they are not as stiff in the sidewall as the stock Dunlops. A good tradeoff on rough, icy roads imho. The snow/ice traction was superb in today's wretched conditions, although I am totally spoiled by my G's wonderful AWD system!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM
albanyDave

Hi, Question on the TPMS and snows?
I am new to the Infinity off from many Saabs-mounted with snows.
The question is are'nt the G37x equiped with the TPmS inside the tires ? What would happen if I ran snow tires with out this sensor in the tire? I just do not feel like spending the extra $$$ to include the senors
thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 PM
beerme986

TPMS sensors are mounted onto the rim and apart of the vavle stem. If you ran rims without the TPMS sensors, you would get a low tire pressure warning light. Really just an annoying light, nothing worth spending extra money to get rid of. A lot of people run winters this away.

Quick Reply: Winter set-up idea, need inputs