Old 12-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
^^+1....
Old 12-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Reiki_Rocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my '08 G37S a little over a week ago, and have some questions on the 18" fitment and performance in place of the 19's for a winter set up also.

I called Tirerack last week, but the guy I talked to said you guys were pretty much out of everything for a G37S in an 18" wheel or winter combo. (sorry Neal, I'm new to the board and called before I saw your info).

I was able to get a full set of 225/50/18 Blizzaks through dealer I bought the car from, but they kinda d*cked around on the wheels; so I picked up a set of 18x8 +30 Weapons from DTD with "guaranteed fitment". Got the Blizzaks mounted and the wheels on the car last night with the fronts sticking out a little further than the rears, which I guess I kinda expected since I no longer had the staggered wheel set up.

Took the car for a ride and it was almost scary bad. I know I'm losing performance with the taller side wall - but can non-staggered wheels & tires really be run on the G37S with the VDC? The car was really squirrely, and the "slip" light kept coming on whenever I tried giving it any decent amount of throttle - even on dry (very lightly sandy in spots) pavement. Same conditions on which I could still hammer pretty good on the Yoko S Drives the day before (in 20 degree weather).

I'm in CT and need to figure out a winter package quick, while I can still return and shuffle stuff as needed. Should I just get a pair of the stock size Blizzack LM 60's for the 19's if I still can? Or is there a right way to run 18's on this car safely - even If I have to stagger them?

Thanks,
Rik
Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is fine to run a non staggered set up on our cars. You just cant run staggered on awd cars.

Compared to the stock 19's, blizzacks will feel very loose due to the high sidewall and soft tread. It will probably grip a little better after the tires break in (i believe there is some special coating on tires at first?)
Old 12-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Reiki_Rocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beerme986
It is fine to run a non staggered set up on our cars. You just cant run staggered on awd cars.

Compared to the stock 19's, blizzacks will feel very loose due to the high sidewall and soft tread. It will probably grip a little better after the tires break in (i believe there is some special coating on tires at first?)

I've gone from 40's to 55's every year on my Accord EX, so I knew it'd be looser - but yikes!

I've seen the term "breaking in" the tires before - but what exactly is meant by this? Is this kinda like heat cycling racing tires?

Is there a generally accepted method of doing this?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:06 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It takes a min of around 100 miles to break in tires properly. I have LM-60's mounted on my car on the stock wheels but I didn't get a change to use then in this snow storm. I'm off till 12/29 and I have my 94 Accord parked on the street. So my G will probably stay in the driveway till I go back to work.