problems with the Goodyear Eagle RSA tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:25 PM
blitzebill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
problems with the Goodyear Eagle RSA tires?

i just bought an 09 G37x sedan and the OE ties are the Goodyears.

I've been reading some reviews at tirerack.com and other places that go so far as to say DO NOT USE THESE TIRES.

i'm concerned about this of course.

I've been reading about the Michelin Primacy MXV 4 tires. a bit pricey but supposedly outstanding tire.

any recommendations?

thanks!
Old 11-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
honestly, tirerack reviews are all across the spectrum. Generally, the higher performance tire you get, the pickier the consumer, and reviews reflect the pickier consumer.

Take them with a grain of salt. if you're driving in snow, I'd recommend some snow tires. Otherwise, see if YOU are happy with them.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:39 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should delete one of your posts since you have this posted twice.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 AM
JIM56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Goodyear RS-A's are fine. The tire provides good dry traction, good cornering traction, handles relatively quickly, has low tread noise, is quiet on rough roads, and absorbs bumps well. I've had no problem with wet traction, but I had a set several years ago that hydroplaned one time, so I'm always a little cautious. The rubber seems soft, so I don't expect much mileage. Winter traction may be mediocre.

Every tire is a compromise, so it is somewhat of an individual choice. (But a new tire almost always seems better than a worn out tire)

For the P225 55 R17, I will probably look at Bridgestone Serenity which I have on another car (little more treadnoise, much better treadwear, excellent on wet roads, but slick on snow) or maybe look into the Michelin Primacy or Michelin Pilot A/S. There seems to be some limitations on what is available in this size.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi Alt G

They also seem fine to me. Granted I've only driven 1000 miles on them, but they work well in the snow (much better than the reviews at TR would have one believe) and the ride comfort and noise aren't bad at all. I called TR and asked if they thought I should change to a different all season tire due to the reviews on their site and, amazingly, the TR rep said he thought I would be fine given the X part of the G37X. Now that says something, a salesman who did not try to sell me something he did not think I needed. Hat tip to Tire Rack. I vote with Mike, give them a try.

p.s. Any tire with a 260 UTQG rating is not going to last a bunch of miles.

Last edited by Hi Alt G; 11-15-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:40 AM
blitzebill

thanks for all the quick replies and suggestions!
Old 11-15-2009, 02:00 PM
jane

I wouldn't use over priced/over rated goodyears my self.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:55 PM
classy37

If you got the G with RSAs, plan to replace them. If you are even considering buying them as a replacement, stay away. These tires are downright dangerous on any degree of wet pavement IMHO. Dry traction is subpar, but predictable. I can't wait to get them off, just trying to squeeze out a few more weeks before snow starts falling.

I slide on the tires on minimally wet pavement and have have had several near wipeouts in 4 months of ownership.

Seriously, stay away.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by classy37
If you got the G with RSAs, plan to replace them. If you are even considering buying them as a replacement, stay away. These tires are downright dangerous on any degree of wet pavement IMHO. Dry traction is subpar, but predictable. I can't wait to get them off, just trying to squeeze out a few more weeks before snow starts falling.

I slide on the tires on minimally wet pavement and have have had several near wipeouts in 4 months of ownership.

Seriously, stay away.
Sounds like you need to slow down. Remember, surfaces are most slippery after a fresh rain with minimal moisture being the most dangerous...
Old 11-15-2009, 05:01 PM
classy37

Originally Posted by Mike
Sounds like you need to slow down. Remember, surfaces are most slippery after a fresh rain with minimal moisture being the most dangerous...
Sounds like you don't know how I drive. This is not my first car or set of tires. Are you aware that there are A/S tires that just do not do well in wet, despite being A/S? The RSAs are one of such tires.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:04 PM
JIM56

Like I mentioned, I had some hydroplaning about 10 years ago on some RS-A tires -- basically travelling about 70 in rain on an interstate where the steering just failed to respond. I think the tires were well worn in. So, be cautious.

I've had no issue with the current OEM RS-A tires but have not pushed them that hard on wet pavement. Were these issues with traction, braking, or cornering? Did the VDA and AWD keep the car controllable? Was this just wetted pavement where oily film can really make it slick regardless of tires? Just wondering under what conditions might be an issue.

If the tires were that dangerous, I think I would swap them immediately.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:05 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
RSAs are pretty junky. There are 2941 survey results on the RSA and they receive, on average in most categories, absolutely atrocious ratings. I had them on my G8, I am cursed with them now, and I agree with the professional reviews as well as the consumer reviews on tirerack - they are JUNK!!! There are so many other, better all-weather performance tires out there (apparently at least 15).

From Tirerack RSA page:

Would You Buy This Tire Again?
Most said: "Probably Not" (Average of 3.6 out of 10)

How Did This Tire Rank In Its Category?
17 out of 22 tires (Score of 5.5 vs best tire in category score of 8.4)

Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Old 11-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Mike

Again, I don't know why you go by tirerack surveys

Here's an example

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

I think we can agree that those tires are next to worthless in the rain, but look how high the wet surface rating is.

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25

I think we can also agree that snow tires do NOT grip anywhere near the level of an A/S or Summer tire, but check out those dry ratings.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 PM
classy37

Here's an example

I think we can agree that those tires are next to worthless in the rain, but look how high the wet surface rating is.

I think we can also agree that snow tires do NOT grip anywhere near the level of an A/S or Summer tire, but check out those dry ratings.
I don't have personal experience with either of those tires, but take a look at the sample sizes of the respective tires' survey results.
Goodyear RSA = 2,941 submissions
Dunlop Direzza = 246 submissions
Brigestone Blizzak = 353 submissions

Based on this, I have much more confidence in trusting the validity of the RSAs' ratings than I do the Direzzas' or Blizzaks'.

How do you throw away the experiences of 2,941 survey results? Do you think tire rack reviewers are so different from the posters contributing to this forum?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:21 PM
jane

Here's an example

I'll use TR ratings but not what the users say that don't know how to drive anyway.

Quick Reply: problems with the Goodyear Eagle RSA tires?