Stupid TPMS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Mantis3024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid TPMS!!!!

[rant]Weather is getting colder, so no surprise I got a low tire pressure warning this morning. But of course it doesn't tell me which one. I got a 350z in 2004 and that displayed the pressure of each individual tire. I got an Acura TL in 2006 and that did too. Now my g37, the newest and most expensive out of the bunch, does not! Can someone explain why the engineers over at infiniti left this out?

It really makes no sense to me. The car should have the capability to show the pressure of each individual tire. It's not like a collective reading. Each tire has a sensor and gauges the exact pressure and the ecu is programmed to pop up that light when one or more of the tires falls below or above a specified psi. The ECU knows which one(s) it is, so why can't we?? Instead, I have to go out in the cold and check each tire with my cheap air pressure gauge, pump some air in (or out), and check again...until it's done.

Infiniti is supposed to be a luxury brand, and my 350z (which is 5 years older and a isn't a luxury car) has this feature. WHYYYYYYY [/rant]
Old 10-15-2009, 03:03 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Haha, I like the [rant] tags. I dont know why they left this feature out. Many people have wondered about it. My dads 05 M35 was able to bring up a full screen display on the nav with a read out of each individual tire pressure and was even color cordinated for if they were too high low etc.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Triple_X

yea it kind of defeats the purpose of the TPMS. I've never had a car before this that had it and I've always managed to find if my tire is low. I would expect the TPMS to tell me WHICH tire is low for convenience
Old 10-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol, i've had this complaint since my G35.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why else would anyone pay more for the M35?
They reserve some "goodies" for the higher models to be annoying. It wouldn't have cost a dime more to integrate this into the nav screen like the M35 is. (My parents have an M35 and I have a G37)

Same reason the M35 has heated/cooled seats and we only have heated.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
well if one is low isn't it good practice to say "yeah, I better check my tires, it's getting that time of year". Come on .... it's 30 seconds a tire to check, is our schedule that tightly wrapped.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Namir
They reserve some "goodies" for the higher models to be annoying. It wouldn't have cost a dime more to integrate this into the nav screen like the M35 is. (My parents have an M35 and I have a G37)

I understand that logic of marketing but I think Nissan/Infiniti has been getting it wrong for some time.

The Nissan 350Z has this feature and it's marketed as a sports car, ours doesn't and it's marketed as a luxury grand touring coupe. Makes no sense to me. I' with the OP on this one.

Also, while we're ranting, what's the difference between the Maxima and the Altima now? If you get a loaded Altima, it has pretty much everything a Maxima has only cheaper. I've had a Stanza (predecessor to the Altima) and 2 Maximas. My wife is condsidering buying another Max, but I'm having a hard time justifying paying more when the Alty is basically the same car only lighter. Am I wrong.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
^Good point BB. But the maxima looks 10000X better than the altima does.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Originally Posted by Namir

so can you explain why the 350Z has this feature?
Old 10-15-2009, 06:49 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
well if one is low isn't it good practice to say "yeah, I better check my tires, it's getting that time of year". Come on .... it's 30 seconds a tire to check, is our schedule that tightly wrapped.

What he said-
Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 AM
BLKICE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine just started today! haven't checked it yet haha.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I understand that logic of marketing but I think Nissan/Infiniti has been getting it wrong for some time.

The Nissan 350Z has this feature and it's marketed as a sports car, ours doesn't and it's marketed as a luxury grand touring coupe. Makes no sense to me. I' with the OP on this one.

Also, while we're ranting, what's the difference between the Maxima and the Altima now? If you get a loaded Altima, it has pretty much everything a Maxima has only cheaper. I've had a Stanza (predecessor to the Altima) and 2 Maximas. My wife is condsidering buying another Max, but I'm having a hard time justifying paying more when the Alty is basically the same car only lighter. Am I wrong.
Pretty sure the Altima 3.5 is a detuned version of the Maxima 3.5..
Old 10-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Mike P

Before I bought the G, I considered the Maxima. When I was, I was leaning more to the Altima for that reason. I felt the Altima was actually more sporty at the time than the Maxima. I would save the money and get the Altima.

I had the TMPS light the other day and actually when I checked, all four tires were low. I agree that it would be nice to have the fancy screens and things, but you really should be checking all four tires when checking tire pressure. I know, if your in a hurry it would be nice to have direction on which one is under/over but I would still check all four regardless of what the technology says.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
With that mentality, why have any luxury features on the car? Things like adaptive cruise, adaptive headlights and rear camera are "cool" but not necessary. TPMS is a nice feature, but if you are going to put it on there, why be half-@ssed about it especially since Nissan/Infiniti has the PSI read out on other models. How about leaving out the TPMS and giving me the sideview camera? Oh wait, we don't need that since we can just look with our own eyes.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Triple_X

replace the TPMS with tilting side mirrors. I always wanted those
Old 10-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple_X
replace the TPMS with tilting side mirrors. I always wanted those
Keep in mind TPMS is a federal requirement; tilting side mirrors is not.

I would also like to have our TPMS improved to monitor the tires individually. Perhaps we’ll see it on future models.

Quick Reply: Stupid TPMS!!!!