Blizzak LM-25 vs LM-60

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy First snow with LM60's

Dicey drive home today. We only had 3 to 4 inches but there was some ice underneath. Traction control was lit up a LOT on the way home. Barely made it up the hill to my house and it is not at all steep. Had to stop three times and start over on the way up.
Not sure if the tires are really that bad or if it is just me getting used to being back in rear wheel drive.

After 4yrs in an M35X with blizzaks, today was horrible! I knew I was giving up some traction with a G37S, but wow!

Can't judge a tire on one day, but today really sucked. Now that we are in January I am sure I will get lots more chances to test them out.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:41 AM
gthal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shane D
Dicey drive home today. We only had 3 to 4 inches but there was some ice underneath. Traction control was lit up a LOT on the way home. Barely made it up the hill to my house and it is not at all steep. Had to stop three times and start over on the way up.
Not sure if the tires are really that bad or if it is just me getting used to being back in rear wheel drive.

After 4yrs in an M35X with blizzaks, today was horrible! I knew I was giving up some traction with a G37S, but wow!

Can't judge a tire on one day, but today really sucked. Now that we are in January I am sure I will get lots more chances to test them out.
I have the LM-25s and know what you are talking about. I won't take the G out in more than an inch or 2 of snow. I'm running stock rims so have 245's in the back which is worse. I went through last winter without too much concern though.

I found that to get up my VERY steep hill (Southgate in Bedford) when it's snow covered I had to turn the traction off. I feathered the gas to get up. With traction on, it didn't allow enough wheel spin. It was actually quite fun when you got the hang of it... a little tail out action controlled by the throttle... just enough to keep going up the hill and not sideways There were only about 2 days where I had any concern but even then I just took it easy and didn't have a lot of concern. The storm we got the last couple of days was too much snow, IMO, to bring the car out mainly due to clearance.

I also find that in snow it is fine but on icy roads its not as good. Likely a reflection of the tire not being an ice tire. For my next winter tires, I am going to get a set of after market rims in 18s and better snow/ice winters (non performance) if possible. The trade off in dry weather performance for better bad weather performance is worth it to me.

Last edited by gthal; 01-03-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Shane D
Premier Member

Smile

Originally Posted by gthal
I have the LM-25s and know what you are talking about. I won't take the G out in more than an inch or 2 of snow. I'm running stock rims so have 245's in the back which is worse. I went through last winter without too much concern though.

I am also running the stock rims.

I found that to get up my VERY steep hill (Southgate in Bedford) when it's snow covered I had to turn the traction off. I feathered the gas to get up. With traction on, it didn't allow enough wheel spin. It was actually quite fun when you got the hang of it... a little tail out action controlled by the throttle... just enough to keep going up the hill and not sideways There were only about 2 days where I had any concern but even then I just took it easy and didn't have a lot of concern. The storm we got the last couple of days was too much snow, IMO, to bring the car out mainly due to clearance.

I also find that in snow it is fine but on icy roads its not as good. Likely a reflection of the tire not being an ice tire. For my next winter tires, I am going to get a set of after market rims in 18s and better snow/ice winters (non performance) if possible. The trade off in dry weather performance for better bad weather performance is worth it to me.
There is no doubt clearance plays a factor. This car is a lot shorter than my M. I bought this car so I could flick out the butt in the summer, not the winter.
I thought hard about 18" winter rims, but decided to make my stockers the winter wheels. Time will tell if that was a bad decision.
I was going to order a G37X coupe, but I thought the 'vert looked better and was more sporty. That, combined with a discount, swayed me. Hope I don't regret it.

Talk about hero to zero: Transportation last winter was a Sierra 4 X 4 and an M35X, both with blizzaks. This year G37S and a cargo van.

Just 90 more days, just 90 more days, just 90.......
Old 01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

There is no doubt clearance plays a factor. This car is a lot shorter than my M. I bought this car so I could flick out the butt in the summer, not the winter.
I thought hard about 18" winter rims, but decided to make my stockers the winter wheels. Time will tell if that was a bad decision.
I was going to order a G37X coupe, but I thought the 'vert looked better and was more sporty. That, combined with a discount, swayed me. Hope I don't regret it.

Talk about hero to zero: Transportation last winter was a Sierra 4 X 4 and an M35X, both with blizzaks. This year G37S and a cargo van.

Just 90 more days, just 90 more days, just 90.......
How did you make out yesterday with the latest storm? We got about 35cms of snow yesterday followed by rain over night. It was the very first time my snowblower wouldn't go through it.

Oh, did I mention that I REALLY HATE WINTER!!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
How did you make out yesterday with the latest storm? We got about 35cms of snow yesterday followed by rain over night. It was the very first time my snowblower wouldn't go through it.

Oh, did I mention that I REALLY HATE WINTER!!

My post was about yesterday (Saturday). Lots of snow and freezing rain. You guys always get way more snow than us. In Halifax we usually get less snow or even freezing rain. Yesterday we got both. Lots of VERY heavy shoveling and pushing today.
I also have NO use for winter. I don't ski, skate, toboggan, nothing!

90 more days, 90 more days, 90 more....
Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

My post was about yesterday (Saturday). Lots of snow and freezing rain. You guys always get way more snow than us. In Halifax we usually get less snow or even freezing rain. Yesterday we got both. Lots of VERY heavy shoveling and pushing today.
I also have NO use for winter. I don't ski, skate, toboggan, nothing!

90 more days, 90 more days, 90 more....
Due to us being right on the Bay of Fundy, our snow is usually mixed with rain. I'd rather have one or the other, just not both. Like you, I have NO use for winter either.

Btw, what are the chances of having two G drivers from the Marimes both named Shane?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Due to us being right on the Bay of Fundy, our snow is usually mixed with rain. I'd rather have one or the other, just not both. Like you, I have NO use for winter either.

Btw, what are the chances of having two G drivers from the Marimes both named Shane?
Bay of Fundy. Is that southern NB? Cause northern NB gets CRAZY snow from what I have heard. Southern would be (I am guessing) real similar to Halifax though maybe a bit colder?

I was surprised to see a poster on here that goes by ShanesG. I have hung out on about 12 to 14 sites and I was always the only Shane on deck.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
gthal

Bay of Fundy. Is that southern NB? Cause northern NB gets CRAZY snow from what I have heard. Southern would be (I am guessing) real similar to Halifax though maybe a bit colder?

I was surprised to see a poster on here that goes by ShanesG. I have hung out on about 12 to 14 sites and I was always the only Shane on deck.
I can't get over the fact that there are THREE of us from the Maritimes on this board (4 if you count Shumby before he migrated to AB ). Man, now I wish my name was Shane so I could really fit in
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Yep, I am in southern NB. Rothesay is about 10 mins outside of Saint John. Our temps would be somewhat similar to yours, maybe a degree colder or so. And yeah, northern NB can get some pretty crazy snow.

Yeah, Shane is a pretty uncommon name. It's almost as uncommon as other G drivers from the Maritmes here.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

I can't get over the fact that there are THREE of us from the Maritimes on this board (4 if you count Shumby before he migrated to AB ). Man, now I wish my name was Shane so I could really fit in
LOL, no kidding! We should have a huge Maritime G meet in the summer!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM
gthal

LOL, no kidding! We should have a huge Maritime G meet in the summer!
That would be great. I bet we could get Mike Botchett @ O'Regans to get a bunch of guys together and host something.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

^ Yeah, no doubt. I bought my G from Mike as well. There's another G owner that is on G35Driver from Dartmouth too.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Thumbs up

If you count redfoster, there are three of us just in Halifax.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Reiki_Rocket

Please see my new beat this subject to death thread I'm starting for G37s
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just thought i would give my input after riding on the lm-60's for about 2 months.

1. Treadwear: these tires are showing there wear already. The weather here has been anywhere from the low 30's to 60's!!! thats Philadelphia weather for you; and I am almost positive they have contributed to the excessive wear. I figure these will last 2 - 3 seasons.

2. Traction: They perform as a winter tire should I guess. I tried to push the tire through some turns and the soft side will start to give in. The car is very floaty and the steering response is slow. I have taken it to speeds up to 110mph and pretty stable. FAR from summer tires but thats a given.

3. Road Noise: They are pretty loud. Especially on the highway. my friends have mentioned it to me as well, but i bought them to save me in snow not for comfort.

thats all i can think of for now ...

Quick Reply: Blizzak LM-25 vs LM-60