Blizzak LM-25 vs LM-60

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:53 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't want something to wide in the snow. Narrower tires perform better in the snow. But the difference between a 225-50 and a 235-45 should be negligible. Lot's of good info in this thread.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:53 PM
wireboltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
ok I will take your opinion seriously when you can tell me the last time you actuall built a tire, because I have.. lots of snow here in the rockies oh and I grew up in nova scotia. but I don't expect and old american to know when anything is on a map not even their own home town. Game set and match.
Nice try-

The snowfall in Nova Scotia per year is a joke compared to where I am, for one thing.
Kind of like like living in the banana belt compared to here, temperature wise and snowfall amounts.

The rest of your little outburst is nothing more than vapid blather, and further indicates you have a ways to go before you can be taken seriously-

You certainly have time on your side in that regard-

There's no more to be said-

Last edited by wireboltman; 10-17-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:19 PM
gthal

Maybe Michelin will buy out Bridgestone (or vice versa) and amalgamate the tire lines so we can all finally agree, have a big group hug and make up

I'm going to write a letter to Michelin's CEO now with the proposal...
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wireboltman
Nice try-

The snowfall in Nova Scotia per year is a joke compared to where I am, for one thing.
Kind of like like living in the banana belt compared to here, temperature wise and snowfall amounts.

The rest of your little outburst is nothing more than vapid blather, and further indicates you have a ways to go before you can be taken seriously-

You certainly have time on your side in that regard-

There's no more to be said-

Man you are good for comic relief. When was the last time you drove in -56C weather with you tires. I have driven down more lease roads and through worse conditions then you can ever dream of. You are simply an old fool. That cannot take advice from someone younger and smarter. If you knew the first thing about the building of a tire or for that matter the difference in QA/QC between the brands you might get to see my points. But as you seem to be the old dino you are and conform to the addage that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks you are lost forever. So now i shit on you comments.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:50 PM
link91

Last year I ran LM-25's, and for this year, I just put on a set of LM-60 on my G37S Coupe two weeks ago. I'm running the same staggered 225/245 on 18's. I've driven about 2500 km's on them. It has yet to snow to Toronto so I can't comment on Ice/Snow traction.

On just dry pavement, there is a HUGE different in performance from the LM-25 to the LM-60's. There is 0 dry pavement traction, and horrible road feel when compared to the LM-25's.

I hope snow/ice traction is miles above on these new LM series tires, otherwise I'd rate the LM-60's garbage. It doesn't snow that much in Toronto, and when it does, it gets plowed pretty quick. I'm not too happy with the LM-60's.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man that is not good news for the LM-60's. I am close to ordering snow tires and was going to get the 60's but now may just get the 25's and save some money. I live in the Northeast where snow isnt that common so dry traction is crucial
Old 12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Loki123
Registered Member

From 1 year experience in the harsh Ottawa, Canada snowy-cold winter I have used the Blizzak LM-25 with 225/245 staggered set up on 18's without any problems whatsoever. On dry they are great (and look nice too) and in 6 inches of snow uphill also good. I would say the weight of this vehicle plays a huge factor in it's grip. My Accord with skinnier knobier winter tires doesn't handle the same because it's that much lighter.
Name:  rim3.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  109.3 KB
Name:  rim2.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  86.2 KB
Name:  winterrim.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  84.1 KB
Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM
gthal

Originally Posted by link91
Last year I ran LM-25's, and for this year, I just put on a set of LM-60 on my G37S Coupe two weeks ago. I'm running the same staggered 225/245 on 18's. I've driven about 2500 km's on them. It has yet to snow to Toronto so I can't comment on Ice/Snow traction.

On just dry pavement, there is a HUGE different in performance from the LM-25 to the LM-60's. There is 0 dry pavement traction, and horrible road feel when compared to the LM-25's.

I hope snow/ice traction is miles above on these new LM series tires, otherwise I'd rate the LM-60's garbage. It doesn't snow that much in Toronto, and when it does, it gets plowed pretty quick. I'm not too happy with the LM-60's.
Doesn't surprise me. The preliminary thoughts on the LM-60 was less dry road performance and better snow performance compared to the LM-25. Hopefully you are happy on days it is messy out.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM
link91

Originally Posted by gthal
Doesn't surprise me. The preliminary thoughts on the LM-60 was less dry road performance and better snow performance compared to the LM-25. Hopefully you are happy on days it is messy out.

I wish I did research. I just blindly purchased the latest "LM" series. Toronto had its first big snow fall, and I was marginally happy with the deep snow performance of the LM-60's. When the snow melted, traction on gas, as well as on corners in the slushy ice and water sucked monkey *****. Braking was actually quiet good though. I hardly complain about products, especially on public forum, but I had my friend take my car out and he thought I was running all seasons. He was very shocked to learn I was running my 'snows'.

I'm considering selling them on ebay and picking up new tires. I don't feel confident on high speed dry pavement highway runs when I have to go to London or Ottawa.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
no one listens to me. buy the pilot alpins/ MICHELIN is the way to go.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:09 PM
gugarci

Sorry Shumby but I also bought the LM-60's. They were less expensive than the others I was considering and I did not have to use an alternate size. So far they've been really good. They are as quiet as the stock REO50A's, and I have not had any issues with the handling in the dry or wet driving at my normal every day speeds. Had them up to 90 MPH's the other day in the HWY with no issues.

Can't wait to try them in the snow. If they don't meet my expectations in the snow next time i need new winter tires I will try another brand.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:03 PM
link91

Originally Posted by gugarci
Sorry Shumby but I also bought the LM-60's. They were less expensive than the others I was considering and I did not have to use an alternate size. So far they've been really good. They are as quiet as the stock REO50A's, and I have not had any issues with the handling in the dry or wet driving at my normal every day speeds. Had them up to 90 MPH's the other day in the HWY with no issues.
If you had the LM-22's or 25's you would notice a huge difference in dry performance.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:14 PM
gugarci

Originally Posted by link91
If you had the LM-22's or 25's you would notice a huge difference in dry performance.
Don't really care as I would never try take corners fast on any kind of winter tire. All I'm looking for is good snow performance. And from what I've read these tires are supposed to perform better in the snow compared to the LM 25's.

I'm sorry you didn't like the LM 60's but so far I really have no complains. Maybe they work better in 18's.

Last edited by gugarci; 12-14-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added Content
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Loki123
Registered Member

You're in good hands with the LM-25's according to Consumer Reports - it is the only recommended winter performance tire based on their testing.
Name:  tires.png
Views: 546
Size:  147.3 KB
Old 01-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Reiki_Rocket

I never had a chance to drive the LM22 or 25's, but I'm very unhappy with the LM60's that I just put on the car. The dry weather traction is horrible, and the sidewalls are waaay to soft for me. I know, I know - they're snow tires...

I'm going to try switch them out for something else like the M3's, or Alpins (providing I can still find 'em). I think I'm also going to go to the 225 -245 stagger on my 18" winter rims. I'm not crazy about going with a wider tire, but really think running 225's all the way around on a G37s coupe is too much of a performance hit for me, and makes the car too squirelly for my taste.

Quick Reply: Blizzak LM-25 vs LM-60