Blizzak LM-25 vs LM-60

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 PM
drjspecv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my first set of Blizzacks and it will be my last. Of all the winter tires I have tried in the past (first set for the G) they are my least favourite. I agree with Shumby, I have a friend that went with the Michelin and they perform much better in the snow and on the ice. Dry road is fine but honestly if the road was always dry why would we be talking about winter tires anyways (I realize the rubber changes as the temp drops). Just my two bits.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:26 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ how are your all season mats working out for ya?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
djm17178

I'm probably going to get a set of 18" rims with the LM-60's from Tire Rack. Do we get a discount or anything being referred from here?

- Dave
Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 PM
shumby

don't do it man the michelins are so much better.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:09 PM
djm17178

Where do I buy them though? They don't seem to be offered on Tire Rack's web site. I'm looking for a place that will sell me a package deal of 4 rims with winter tires.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:13 PM
shumby

the pilot alpins should be on tirerack. let me check.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:14 PM
shumby

hell i forgot the size i went with. DRJ do you know what size you had?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:08 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by shumby
don't do it man the michelins are so much better.
Couldn't disagree any more-
Old 10-16-2009, 04:13 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by wireboltman
Couldn't disagree any more-
Here's what a set of Blizzaks will do:
This was a SCCA sanctioned race on ice.

I had the 2nd fastest time out of 34 cars.
I also only did 2 out of 3 runs figuring there was too much chance for somebody running into me.
I had the 2nd fastest time even with that Audi Quattro getting stuck right in front of me going downhill into that corner.
There was only inches on each side to get around him.

There were plastic car parts everywhere up and down the course.
I left without a scratch

Houghton Rallycross: (Basically pure ice and ice banks-)

Here's the thread I started on my FX forum for this ice race.

Infiniti FX Owners Forum (The Org) • View topic - Rallycross

Here's the clip within that thread. Steve was with me and there's pictures taken by others of us in the FX while racing.
I did a writeup of the day of the event and what it was like.

YouTube - Houghton Rallycross

I've pushed through snow up to the Infiniti logo on the grill of my FX-

It's not likely those that are cutting down the Blizzak have done anything close to this with the Michelins.

Just a real time case in point, and my further .02

Each to their own-

Last edited by wireboltman; 10-16-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:31 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
According to the Miata Tire Calculator a 205-55-18 should work as well as the stock size 225-50-18's. Can anyone confirm this??? Also what other alternate sizes work well???

[EDIT]
There are no winter tires at the Tire Rack in 205-55-18's
What are the other alternates sizes that will work in this car.???

Last edited by gugarci; 10-16-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added Content
Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's the link to the Tirerack's survey and the Michelin Alpins PA3's are # 1.
Consumer Survey Results By Category

But I still need to know what alternate sizes I can use without issues.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:34 AM
gthal

Originally Posted by gugarci
Here's the link to the Tirerack's survey and the Michelin Alpins PA3's are # 1.
Consumer Survey Results By Category

But I still need to know what alternate sizes I can use without issues.
The problem with the Tire Rack survey is that these are owner opinions. People tend to rate what they buy well. Also, the Michelins have far fewer miles tested. This is not to say the Michelins are not great, just to be careful interpreting the result.

Based on the tread pattern alone, I would suggest the LM-60s would be the best "performance" winter tire in snow. The Michelins and the LM-25s would likely be better on dry pavement. The Michelins have less aggressive tread blocks and biting edges.

I have owned the x-ice and non-performance Blizzaks and in my opinion the x-ice were better on packed snow and the Blizzaks better in deeper snow. Both were great though. I do have to say I am disappointed with the LM-25s I currently have. Not up to par for Blizzaks for sure relative to snow performance. The problem with the LM-25 is that it is designed a little too much for dry road performance. I find they actually perform VERY well on dry pavement. My guess is the LM-60s will not perform as well on dry pavement but much better/closer to other Blizzaks in the snow/ice.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 AM
shumby

Originally Posted by gthal
The problem with the Tire Rack survey is that these are owner opinions. People tend to rate what they buy well. Also, the Michelins have far fewer miles tested. This is not to say the Michelins are not great, just to be careful interpreting the result.

Based on the tread pattern alone, I would suggest the LM-60s would be the best "performance" winter tire in snow. The Michelins and the LM-25s would likely be better on dry pavement. The Michelins have less aggressive tread blocks and biting edges.

I have owned the x-ice and non-performance Blizzaks and in my opinion the x-ice were better on packed snow and the Blizzaks better in deeper snow. Both were great though. I do have to say I am disappointed with the LM-25s I currently have. Not up to par for Blizzaks for sure relative to snow performance. The problem with the LM-25 is that it is designed a little too much for dry road performance. I find they actually perform VERY well on dry pavement. My guess is the LM-60s will not perform as well on dry pavement but much better/closer to other Blizzaks in the snow/ice.

WOW i like when people just look at a tread patteren and can "tell" what the tire will be good for. So much more goes into a tire then this. The only reason I know is I have made tires. yes made tires. meny years in a tire plant. Overt all the michelins will out preform the blizzacks. hands down. but go ahead and buy an inferior tire.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:42 AM
shumby

Originally Posted by wireboltman

YouTube - Houghton Rallycross

I've pushed through snow up to the Infiniti logo on the grill of my FX-

It's not likely those that are cutting down the Blizzak have done anything close to this with the Michelins.

Just a real time case in point, and my further .02

Each to their own-

i begg to differ my frien. my Michelins on every car I had have pushed through snow and mud. from my 87 fire fly and soon my FX 50S when i get them on this winter. Don't doubt my experiance. you don't know me. Michelins are a better winter tire hands down
Old 10-17-2009, 06:52 AM
gthal

Originally Posted by shumby
WOW i like when people just look at a tread patteren and can "tell" what the tire will be good for. So much more goes into a tire then this. The only reason I know is I have made tires. yes made tires. meny years in a tire plant. Overt all the michelins will out preform the blizzacks. hands down. but go ahead and buy an inferior tire.
Shumby, I absolutely understand that tread compound plays a huge role in performance. All I was saying that the LM-60s are new (so no one knows how the tread compound will perform) but that the tread blocks seem aggressive which should have an impact on snow traction. No one can say that tread pattern doesn't matter... it does... but it is also true that tread compound is as important, if not moreso.

The Blizzaks are always rated highly in testing from what I have read. Their SUV winters are amazing. Everyone knows you love Michelins but just because the LM-25s are subpar Blizzaks shouldn't taint the entire line. IMO, Blizzaks are great winter tires, as are many of the Michelins. In my experience, however, the BEST winter tire I have ever had was the Continental Contiviking Contact 3 tires I had on my BMW. They were AMAZING in snow and ice. The rear wheel drive BMW was better in the snow with those tires than any FWD car I have owned with any other winter tire. Too bad they were only made up to 17" sizes.

Now, show me an independant test where the Michelins outperform Blizzaks

Last edited by gthal; 10-17-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Blizzak LM-25 vs LM-60