19" coupe oem wheels on sedan [help]

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 AM
echosize

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19" coupe oem wheels on sedan [help]

can anyone give me some suggestions on how to work this out without a problem? i would like to know if i need to do anything else to fit them in or just mount them? personally i got a g37x sedan and i really love the coupe 19" wheels.

thanks in advance

ps: i know there is a similar post around and i did try to find it, but nothing came out.

Last edited by echosize; 09-12-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:24 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Well since you have the X, I suggest you make sure all four wheels have the same width (the S version comes with a staggered setup i.e. wider wheels in the back)

And you're pretty much set
Old 09-12-2009, 12:27 AM
echosize

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Well since you have the X, I suggest you make sure all four wheels have the same width (the S version comes with a staggered setup i.e. wider wheels in the back)

And you're pretty much set
im sorry, so do you mean i have to get 2 set of front wheels in order to fit them in?
and will it really effects if i put the regular rear wheels in?

thanks
Old 09-12-2009, 12:32 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
2 sets of fronts or 2 sets of rears would do
Old 09-12-2009, 12:37 AM
echosize

Originally Posted by G37Sam
2 sets of fronts or 2 sets of rears would do
thats going to be really hard to get....
what if i just mount what ever comes from coupe?
will it be any problem

oh, btw, mine is g37xS, sport package included

p.s. :sorry i know i ask too much, lol

Last edited by echosize; 09-12-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doesn't matter, the sport package on the X(non staggered 18s, smaller brakes) isn't the same as the RWD(staggered 18s w/ bigger brakes). AWD drive cars shouldn't run staggered wheels.

the rims look nice on the sedan. but yeah everyone is in agreement you need to get 4 fronts, or 4 rears. pref fronts.

but yeah it's def not impossible but def a pain, might wanna ask around and see if any other X drivers want like the rear set or something.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:50 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by echosize
thats going to be really hard to get....
what if i just mount what ever comes from coupe?
will it be any problem
There's a reason why everyone is telling you not to do this. However, if you don't mind possibly ruining the AWD system on your car then sure go ahead and do it. Otherwise you'll need two sets of front or two sets of rear wheels from a coupe.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:19 PM
echosize

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
There's a reason why everyone is telling you not to do this. However, if you don't mind possibly ruining the AWD system on your car then sure go ahead and do it. Otherwise you'll need two sets of front or two sets of rear wheels from a coupe.
thanks for the warning bro, but is it because its wider or its weight i wonder

i would like some suggestions on picking which one:

a. 2 sets of front wheels
b. 2 sets of back wheels

advantages and disadvantages if possible, thanks in advace.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:27 PM
mishmosh

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you manage to find 2 sets, I'm sure it will be no problem to find a buyer for the other set you don't want. Some people just prefer non-staggered for the practicality.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:11 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by echosize
thanks for the warning bro, but is it because its wider or its weight i wonder

1. i would like some suggestions on picking which one:

2. a. 2 sets of front wheels
b. 2 sets of back wheels

advantages and disadvantages if possible, thanks in advace.

1. Because you have AWD, meaning that at certain times while driving, all 4 wheels are driving the car at the same time at the same speed/RPM. So if you throw on different size wheels between the front and back, all 4 wheels aren't gonna be able to turn at the same speed which will damage the gearing in your AWD system. All AWD vehicles must run the same size wheel on all 4 corners.

Although the differences between a 225/45/19 (84.7" tall overall) and a 245/40/19 (83.9" tall) are VERY slight. The difference is like having bald tires on one axle and new tires on the other. The rolling speed difference between the two is 0.6mph. You may get away without damage, but the question is would you wanna risk it?!

2. Depends on if you want an aggressive or mild look. The rears are gonna be wide, so if you put them on the front, they may stick out. The fronts are narrower and will look good on the front, but wont look as aggressive in the rear. It's all personal preference.

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 09-12-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 PM
echosize

Originally Posted by mishmosh
If you manage to find 2 sets, I'm sure it will be no problem to find a buyer for the other set you don't want. Some people just prefer non-staggered for the practicality.
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
1. Because you have AWD, meaning that at certain times while driving, all 4 wheels are driving the car at the same time at the same speed/RPM. So if you throw on different size wheels between the front and back, all 4 wheels aren't gonna be able to turn at the same speed which will damage the gearing in your AWD system. All AWD vehicles must run the same size wheel on all 4 corners.

Although the differences between a 225/45/19 (84.7" tall overall) and a 245/40/19 (83.9" tall) are VERY slight. The difference is like having bald tires on one axle and new tires on the other. The rolling speed difference between the two is 0.6mph. You may get away without damage, but the question is would you wanna risk it?!

2. Depends on if you want an aggressive or mild look. The rears are gonna be wide, so if you put them on the front, they may stick out. The fronts are narrower and will look good on the front, but wont look as aggressive in the rear. It's all personal preference.

first, thanks for all your opinions, i learned alot from all of you.
i still have one more questions, what if i manage to get 2 sets of front wheels and put spacers? (just to the rear wheels to make it a bit more agrgressive) would that be anygood? advantages/disadvatages

thanks!

p.s.: i still need your profesional opinions,
Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spacers are fine for the rear. You just wanna keep the rolling diameter of the front and rear wheels the same on awd.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:24 PM
options

Wink

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
Spacers are fine for the rear. You just wanna keep the rolling diameter of the front and rear wheels the same on awd.
Is this rule exclusive to G's only? The Porsche 911 Turbo is AWD and it features 19x8.5 fronts and 19x11 rears.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I am no expert, but If you have wheels of different rolling diameters, it seems as if your axles will attempt turn at different rates, and if you have both sets of axles being driven by the engine, then this can't possibly be good for your drivetrain.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
porsche AWD full time AWD right?

cause I wanna say the reason why the wheels on a X can't be staggered is cause the AWD system is 100% rear and up to 50% to the front. I would imagine in that case that could be bad news?

(this is pure speculation of course)

Quick Reply: 19" coupe oem wheels on sedan [help]